Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    When people have their heads blown off it.
    Let's discuss all of the barbaric violence behind racism, now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Get a grip. There is a lot worse out there. I am a proponent of gay rights and have seen a couple of Charlie Hebdo's cartoons which could be construed as homophobic. But I appreciate that they were just perpetuating dark humour, for which there is a market, and probably did not wish for gay people to be hurt or criminalised. They were left-wing after all. I also appreciate that any offence I feel is my own doing, as I have specifically decided to search for such cartoons, when I could just ignore them.

And "confronting racism" is so subjective. The Daily Mail, and indeed numerous other newspapers, post stuff all the time, including statistics, which do not portray ethnic minorities in a good light. This probably causes more racist feelings than Charlie Hebdo, being the small publication that it is, has ever done. Do we call for those mainstream newspapers to be banned? No.
    Stopped reading at "grip." Not that this post seems like it deserves me to dignify it with a response....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocahontas lol)
    Let's discuss all of the barbaric violence behind racism, now.
    There is no need to discuss that because the magazine was not using violence to support racism.

At worst, they were making racist cartoons.

I doubt any of the cartoons were racist anyway, because that is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I doubt any of the cartoons were racist anyway
    The OP just provided its racist cartoons. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenahussein)
    If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    grow up, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    What a cop out. Just say if you're incapable of forming a coherent, logical counter-argument.
    Excuse me? You don't know me from a bag of rice, sweetie. You're not someone I feel even remotely aroused to argue with, due to the ignorant sentiments you have expressed in your former post. Is that okay?

It's gonna have to be.

ReputationRep:
    The OP just provided its racist cartoons. :confused:
    Not really.

The first one was a joke that had bad taste. People make stupid jokes about massacres and etc all the time. That isn't even racist.

The second one was making fun of a far right group that called the justice minister a monkey.

Do people bother to research this ? No

It makes better headlines to write that they compared the justice minister to a monkey and that equals racist.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me? You don't know me from a bag of rice, sweetie. You're not someone I feel even remotely aroused to argue with, due to the ignorant sentiments you have expressed in your former post. Is that okay?

It's gonna have to be.
    This just reads to me that you can't think of any argument to counter what I said, or take the time to do so. But that's fine - your choice.

But I am curious what is "ignorant" about my post. The Daily Mail causes so much more racist feeling than Charlie Hebdo has ever done, but it still continues without being banned or campaigned against. In addition, I said that I do not put Charlie Hebdo in the same camp as, say, the Westboro Baptist Church for their cartoons which some would be construed as homophobic. Firstly, because I recognise it as dark humour, and secondly because I appreciate that they are not a homophobic organisation which has ever called for gay people to be criminalised, etc. The intention is not there; it's about satire and dark humour.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail... the Westboro Baptist Church
    of interest, in the event that a representative of either of these had been gunned down, would you show support for their right to free speech by hashtagging with, say, 'I am Richard Littlejohn' or 'I am Pastor Fred Phelps'? Would reluctance to do so be evidence of a person's being opposed to free speech?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, he was a racist and a xenophobe; people were quick to jump on the jesuischarlie bandwagon without researching his work.

But whatever, hey I'm cool and free speechy and I must stand for something bigger than justin bieber cause my life is not hollow and empty, #jesuischarlie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    of interest, in the event that a representative of either of these had been gunned down, would you show support for their right to free speech by hashtagging with, say, 'I am Richard Littlejohn' or 'I am Pastor Fred Phelps'? Would reluctance to do so be evidence of a person's being opposed to free speech?
    Firstly, that's a false analogy as it would be "I am the Westboro Baptist Church" or "I am the Daily Mail".

Secondly, I have yet to use the hashtag for Charlie Hebdo, so I would unlikely use it for what you refer. I am not into that populist nonsense.

But, what I would do is support such organisations, yes. Westboro Baptist Church is a little difficult as I support freedom of speech within the law, and they would not operate within English law. The Daily Mail I usually disagree with, but would support if they persevered despite attempts at censorship through violence.

ReputationRep:
    Westboro Baptist Church is a little difficult as I support freedom of speech within the law, and they would not operate within English law.
    I'm imagining the circumstance as happening under US jursidiction, it seems too exacting to expect a person to abide within his own country by the legal code of another jurisdiction, and that because it better suits your tastes. It's what some Muslims in GB are after, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet2000)
    Unfortunately, he was a racist and a xenophobe; people were quick to jump on the jesuischarlie bandwagon without researching his work.
    I dunno how much research you've done but Charlie Hebdo[madaire] means Charlie Weekly. 'He' isn't a person and doesn't belong to the past tense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I dunno how much research you've done but Charlie Hebdo[madaire] means Charlie Weekly. 'He' isn't a person and doesn't belong to the past tense.
    I'm aware of that, je suis charlie was meant to personify what the newspaper stood for; so I'm following their same logic and saying that "he" stood for everything racist and xenophobic that we would otherwise love to hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is s*** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I sort of agree with you. Everyone is entitled to free speech, but there has to be a compromise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    Charlie Hebdo was a disgusting human being, to put it mildly, but still I don't support the killing of another just because they offended you. My issue with this entire situation is that the media are purporting this as something intrinsic in islamic culture; that is, that Muslims think it's acceptable to respond in such a way to mockery. Honestly, I disagree with that idea completely. I think we should categorize and understand the behaviour and motivation of the gunmen as exactly what it is, a horrible, irrational but completely understandable psychological (and human) response. When you mock something that holds sentimental value to someone, they become angry, and sadly some of them become violent. That sentimentality isn't restricted to religion nevermind exclusively to Islam or Muslims.

I dunno, just my 2p.
    tl;dr I don't have a clue about what Charlie Hebdo actually was and I sympathise with the motives behind the Paris attack.

ReputationRep:
    Ideasforlife shows his nescience towards satire, and in particular the cartoons he posted, in his quest to fish for reps. I expected nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    it has been explained at length in this thread that the cartoons mock racism and mock the idea that your god might protect you. I wouldn't have bought a magazine like this, even if I lived in France, as it isn't my type of humour. But having read this discussion I can understand why so many French people are willing to say Je Suis Charlie. I think I am Evelyn (or should that be Ms Hall?) might get more support in Britain.

These murders - and lets name them honestly and not pander to extremists by saying anything else - have stirred up anti Muslim feelings because people are frightened. In Muslims countries you can legally be lashed and imprisoned or even beheaded for doing something considered to be insulting to Islam e.g. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...120952108.html As I understand it, the Quran does not set out any earthly punishment for insulting Islam but this is one of many additions to the religion. It means that Islam is seen to be fundamentally opposed to a basic Western belief. The cartoons didn't cause anti muslim feeling, but murders and floggings do. Even if these things happen in other countries when those countries claim it is part of their religious beliefs it causes unease.

British Imans who condemned as sinful and un-Islamic the killers of Alan Herring did much to defuse tensions then. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-9739047.html

and this message from French imans will do the same now http://news.yahoo.com/french-imams-r...232602712.html

ReputationRep:
    No Muslim should have any sympathy with Charlie Hebdo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellholathere)
    Right so we should not display political opinions? But it's okay to mock political opinions? Oh right yes. That's so much better.
    Yes I know it wasn't only religion. I know the whole defense making people more tolerant with the critique. However, it's offensive to sensitive subjects and disrespectful. Nowadays respect is simply something we lack because "i have a right to tell you my opinion, don't judge me" or whatever. Now, if Charlie's allowed to use the freedom of speech defense for this, then you should be allowed to make fun of anything right? so the holocaust for example, it's okay to draw satirical cartoons mocking that? After all it only restricts our freedom of expression if we aren't allowed, right?
    Yes it's OK to mock political opinions, that's the whole point of free speech. The last bit is irrelevant as France is a secular republic, and therefore those things aren't allowed. Freedom of expression has never meant total and unbridled freedom.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.