Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_dreamer)
    I normally do part a) and part b) as one linking them together through my quotations I selected, normally 3 or 4 points. Remember to write a lot about a little, this is the examiners advice I heard and its true. I read on a examiner report that it is suggested to do them as one whole rather than part a and b separately but just make sure you do it in 45mins because you don't want to leave the other part with 15 mins to spare. Good luck!!
    How would you approach answering it all as one question? Let's say you're making 4 points would you use 2/4 from the passage and the other from the rest of the novel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone Mark this!!!!!

How are the young people in DNA affected by the crimes they commit?
    How does Kelly show the ways they are affected? [30 marks]

DNA is a contemporary play dealing with the modern issues faced by youths. The group in the play is portrayed as alienated and cut off from society other than their immediate surroundings. Though there is no definite place or time it is clearly contemporary through the speech and references made by other characters. In the play DNA Dennis Kelly shows the different ways that young people are affected by the crimes that they commit.
    The first mention of Adams death is notified to us through the short and punchy dialogue of Jan and Mark. Who are used by Kelly to reveal the key information to the audience. When the members of the group are informed about Adams death the primary shock and sheer panic of the news initially bring the group together. We are shown the groups unification through the likes of John Tate's attempt to leadership. In Act 1 Scene 3 we witness the power of John Tate in the group when he attempts to ban the word "dead". He says "if anyone says it I'm gonna bite their face off." The phrase "bite their face" suggests a side to John that is violent and almost suggests fear and a sense of desperation because of the fact he would "bite" someone's face off just because they have said the word "dead". He asks members of the group is they are "on his side" and the fact Richard and Danny agree does show a sense of unification. However this shows John Tate's inability to cope with Adams death and his inability to cope with the situation is evidently shown later in the play when he suddenly disappears.
    Furthermore Kelly shows us the ways young people are affected by the crimes they commit through Leah's use of taboo language to provoke a reaction from Phil. Leah and Phil have a relationship that is clearly one-sided as there is a lack of response from Phil during their conversations effectively leaving Leah to speak in monologues. Leah is torn between her self- criticism and her attempt to impress Phil using a number of techniques such as talking about intellectual topics such as "bonobos" or insulting Phil to provoke a reaction. "You're not perfect actually Phil..do I disgust you?" After insulting him to provoke a reaction she turns back to asking Phil what she thinks he thinks of her. Phil's lack of response could be seen as psychological bullying and shows she is under the leadership of Phil as she is not strong enough to alter the opinions and actions of anyone in the group. However, Leah reveals that her and Phil have actually known Adam a very long time and pleads with him to help Adam, and not harm him. "It’s Adam, Phil, Adam! We used to go to his birthday parties, he used to have that cheap ice cream and we used to take the piss, remember?" This suggests that Leah feels guilt and remorse for Adam and shows even though she is part of the crime she remains a moral person.

However Kelly shows that Adams death affects young people in different ways and explores this through Richards conversation with Phil in the last scene. We find out "Brian's on stronger and stronger medication." The repetition of the word "stronger" suggests Brian is seriously affected by the crime as he is getting worse as the medication gets "stronger". The fact that he is "staring at a wall drooling" emphasises how he is affected and shows that Brian is mentally unstable. Here Dennis Kelly shows how committing a crime can lead to things such as a mental breakdown. We are told John Tate has "found God..and joined the Jesus army." The phrase "found God" suggests that John Tate was looking for support or even perhaps forgiveness for what he has done as he cannot forgive himself due to the crime he has committed.
    On the other hand Kelly shows that some young people do not suffer remorse or guilt for the crimes they have committed. He shows this through the likes of Cathy, Jan and Mark. Richard tells Phil "Cathy is insane...she cut off a first years finger off." The fact she "cut off a first years finger off" suggests Cathy is becoming even more ruthless and aggressive and is able to commit even more violent acts. Furthermore we are told Jan and Mark have been committing more petty crimes."Jan and Mark have taken up shoplifting..and have got really good at it". The fact they have "taken up shoplifting" suggests the crime they had committed with Adam has only gone and influenced them to commit more. The phrase "got really good at it" suggests that this is not a one off but is a frequent crime they do.
    In the play DNA, Dennis Kelly shows that young people are affected by crime differently, some more than others and he explores this through these characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trihawk7)
    How would you approach answering it all as one question? Let's say you're making 4 points would you use 2/4 from the passage and the other from the rest of the novel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not sure I just find its easier and more natural, and remember they will always be linked. For me I would use nearly all my quotes from the passage, analyse it and then also that point i made using the quote I can link with the theme which is usually part b. Like for example if I used a quote from a passage about slim I would say what it means in depth and then if section b) was on how people were treated I can say how people like slim would be treated more superior than someone like candy because of disabilities bla bla. Then you can also use some quotes from the book to back up your point for section B. Remember you need to use the passage and quotes from section b) not just talking about in 1930's america dust bowls, depression, hardships. You need to talk about how the book, the quotes, and passage helps you understand/ relate to context

ReputationRep:
    yeah im doing character and voice too, for of mice and men, i would'nt be surprised if it was the boss (representing the uppper class who already 'had the american dream', or carlson (represents average 1930s society opinions), but also maybe george and lennie again becasue they are so obvious that it is actually quite hard, my friend also thinks they may do curlys wife again becasue she has so much description and text bout her but im not sure if i agree
    for an inspector calls really think it will be gerald

ReputationRep:
    How many pages do you usually have to write for of mice and men and inspector calls to get A*/A? (my handwriting is about medium in size)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kxylah)
    How many pages do you usually have to write for of mice and men and inspector calls to get A*/A? (my handwriting is about medium in size)
    My teacher said you should write around 6 sides for each

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlucy)
    OHHH YAY!!

Now time for interrogation -

do you have any idea what it might be on - has your teacher given any hints?
    How are you revising this?

And are you as screwed as me?
    For OMAM, there are sort of fixed answers you can use for part b:
    The cyclical structure of the whole novel shows how there is little chance of them being free from their fate of their dreams not coming true as George and Lennie are the same as any other ranch man. For example, the start of chapter 1 and the start of chapter 6 have very similar descriptions.
    Candy's opening line, "Tell you what.." is metaphoric for life on the ranch and how it's repetitive, gossipy, acccustory and rarely trustworthy.

For part a, theyve already used extracts of every character so maybe they'll do the first or last bit of the novel? or perhaps the fight scene and how it builds tension (but not sure if that's been used)

For WIB, they've only used woman in black once and that was ages ago so maybe revise her.. Or Spider and how he is kind of the warning sign when the wib is present?
    Always link your point to how it's relevant to the gothic/ghost story genre if possible.

Then for poetry, the only poems they've never used are In Paris With You, Brothers and Sister Maude!

Hope I helped, have you got any tips for me? XD and yes im pretty screwed, only tust revising it today...oops

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Pride and Prejudice?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?! And if so what are you focusing on? Characters or themes????

ReputationRep:
    My predictions are for OMAM:
    1a) Curley- (when he enters the bunkhouse for the first time)
    b) Violence in 1930s America

2a) Candy when he tries to get in on G+Ls Dream
    b) How does Steinbeck present the American Dream.

3a) Crooks- when Lennie and Crooks are talking in Crooks room
    b) How does Steinbeck present the theme of racial discrimination in 1930 America/ How is loneliness presented?

4a) Carlson/ minor characters
    b) How does Steinbeck present the lives of Ranch workers?

5a) The death of Curley's Wife
    b) How does Steinbeck present attitudes towards women in America at that time?

6a) The death of Lennie
    b) IDK about this one??!

7a) The shooting of Candy's dog?
    b) How are friendships and the importance of friendships exemplified throughout 1930s America?

ReputationRep:
    Are we marked on context for An Inspector Calls or just OMAM? Also, is this the exam where we need to do a lot of language analysis? :s my teacher decided to mainly focus on language exam rather than literature...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelK321)
    Are we marked on context for An Inspector Calls or just OMAM? Also, is this the exam where we need to do a lot of language analysis? :s my teacher decided to mainly focus on language exam rather than literature...
    I think you're marked on context for both, and yeah it's gonna be so annoying haha

ReputationRep:
    I really hope eric or sheila comes up tomorrow for AIC, but not sure who will come up for OMAM, I'm predicting carlson or curley, and I know nothing about carlson!! any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasconnor)
    how are you revising for wib?
    Sorry about the delay.

Spider diagrams mostly, and familiarising myself with the main events in the book. Then I write out a sort of plan of how I would write an answer to those past questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelK321)
    Context is only part B of section B- OMAM.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone write a paragraph on violence in the 1930s America please for OMAM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what are the main points and/or quotes you can say about gerald in AIC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what are the predictions on An Inspector Calls? Could it be the Inspector or Mr. Birling?

And many people are predicting Curley for Of Mice and Men, right?

Literature is one of the hardest subjects for me. I'm so bad at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezDayy)
    So what are the predictions on An Inspector Calls? Could it be the Inspector or Mr. Birling?

its the worst subject for me too! but yeah ive got the same predictions: AIC= Mr. birling OMAM= Curley for part a) and then isolation for part b)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezDayy)

My teachers reckon its going to be Mr birling this year, but I don't know about of mice and men because we do Pride and Prejudice instead-.-.--.--.- and don't worry I find English lit really hard too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grenvizzle)
    For OMAM, there are sort of fixed answers you can use for part b:
    The cyclical structure of the whole novel shows how there is little chance of them being free from their fate of their dreams not coming true as George and Lennie are the same as any other ranch man. For example, the start of chapter 1 and the start of chapter 6 have very similar descriptions.
    Candy's opening line, "Tell you what.." is metaphoric for life on the ranch and how it's repetitive, gossipy, acccustory and rarely trustworthy.

For part a, theyve already used extracts of every character so maybe they'll do the first or last bit of the novel? or perhaps the fight scene and how it builds tension (but not sure if that's been used)

For WIB, they've only used woman in black once and that was ages ago so maybe revise her.. Or Spider and how he is kind of the warning sign when the wib is present?
    Always link your point to how it's relevant to the gothic/ghost story genre if possible.

Then for poetry, the only poems they've never used are In Paris With You, Brothers and Sister Maude!

Hope I helped, have you got any tips for me? XD and yes im pretty screwed, only tust revising it today...oops
    You don't sound very screwed to me - far more informed! I'd say watch MR Bruff, sim read the book, use websites that give a general synopsis and analysation of each chapter and just make a few notes about the characters/themes you feel you don't know/are more likely to come up!

Also, thank you very much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.