Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, I see lots of people with 4 AS's but only 3 A2. Why do people drop a subject in A2 even if they got an A? I mean, doesn't it make sense to have a backup subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Just out of curiosity, I see lots of people with 4 AS's but only 3 A2. Why do people drop a subject in A2 even if they got an A? I mean, doesn't it make sense to have a backup subject?
    Speaking for myself, I dropped one so that I could fully concentrate on and invest more time in the other three (especially because A2 is supposedly harder than AS!) to make sure I fulfil any uni offers. Although I do know people that do five (!) so I guess it just comes down to how much work/pressure you can handle and time management along with extra curricular etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TTWNGCBC)
    Aww thanks what are you predicted? For my course the entry requirements are only AAA so I'm sure if you have solid predictions you will get an offer just fine! And those are great AS levels too.

No, I haven't done a separate statement. Is there a particular reason why I should have?
    Don't think my teachers have made predictions yet hopefully a*a*a but Lit may predict me a B instead and my entry requirements are a*aa for the joint honours that's why I'm a bit wary but hopefully everything goes to plan! And thank you!! Also no you don't have to do one but a durham admissions person who visited my college recommended it to me if you want to be more specific but it's not necessary if you're applying for the same course everywhere and your personal statement is already how durham want it so I haven't made one either :/ hopefully it's not a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jill800)
    Don't think my teachers have made predictions yet hopefully a*a*a but Lit may predict me a B instead and my entry requirements are a*aa for the joint honours that's why I'm a bit wary but hopefully everything goes to plan! And thank you!! Also no you don't have to do one but a durham admissions person who visited my college recommended it to me if you want to be more specific but it's not necessary if you're applying for the same course everywhere and your personal statement is already how durham want it so I haven't made one either :/ hopefully it's not a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck with getting the predicted grades you need. Even if you're predicted a B at first, you may be able to get your school to raise it. Plenty of people at my school have managed this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Most university courses only require you to have 3 A levels. I know if I had continued with all 4 I would struggle to keep on top of my work and my grades would drop so I'd actually be at risk of not getting the grades I need to go to the unis I am applying for.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with getting the predicted grades you need. Even if you're predicted a B at first, you may be able to get your school to raise it. Plenty of people at my school have managed this.
    A guy at my school got an E at AS in maths and got his teacher to predict him a B XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie_eleanor)
    A guy at my school got an E at AS in maths and got his teacher to predict him a B XD
    Legend 😄

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys could I have some tips for the intro for a personal statement? I'm trying so hard but my opening paragraph never seems right and apparently Durham really take your ps into account - I'm applying for Biological Science at St Johns btw

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an offer yet? When do Durham usually start offering?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an offer yet? When do Durham usually start offering?
    Durham apparently offer quite late, I know someone last year who didn't hear back until February time after applying in October, so it could be a while yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padc)
    Durham apparently offer quite late, I know someone last year who didn't hear back until February time after applying in October, so it could be a while yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhh I can't wait that long!

Anyone had an acknowledgement yet?

ReputationRep:
    As long as your extra curriculum activities link in with your degree of choice, then University of "X" will be interessted in you. I am going to Durham next year to study Sports and Physical activity; Although I want to do journalism or psychology in sport, Durham is perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Applying from the U.S., so I can't really compare A levels with y'all, but I just wanted to say hello! I'm hoping to study French and English

ReputationRep:
    Also applying from the US!

Going to apply to Liberal Arts at Hild Bede, (Arabic, Spanish, and International Relations are my main interests. I've been studying Arabic for a couple of years already at a university level, and am applying for a gap year in Morocco, so will only keep going with Arabic language if they let me start with non-ab initio classes )

In the UK, also apply to Edinburgh and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azafran)

Going to apply to Liberal Arts at Hild Bede, (Arabic, Spanish, and International Relations are my main interests. I've been studying Arabic for a couple of years already at a university level, and am applying for a gap year in Morocco, so will only keep going with Arabic language if they let me start with non-ab initio classes )

I'm applying to Exeter too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azafran)

I'm also applying to Edinburgh, seems like such a lovely uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris Cartner)
    If you've got any questions about the City itself, I can answer questions as I'm a local

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello there Chris, I'll be at Durham by January, 1st, 2016. I'm from Algeria & I want to know if there are swimming pools near the university.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology BSc offer!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.