Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baloney26)
    Sorry guys it's an actual physical folder, I can send you the document I used to make essay plans and a picture of the bits of wider reading info if you like though?
    If possible, could you send me it too, please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    sounds like a good suggestion I would really like a biomolecules essay! possibly not genetics cos DNA came up in June 2011?
    If one is on biomolecules then it will be pretty easy marks. If it is genetics it definitely wont be DNA tech but it'll still be difficult to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishopdon123)
    Anyone want to hazard a guess what the essay will be on?
    Read my post at the end of page 17

ReputationRep:
    Say the essay will be on feedback, what points can we include?

All I can think of is
    Predator-Prey relationship (Unit4)
    Homeostasis, control of the heart and menstrual cycle (Unit 5)
    Maybe immunity? (Unit 1) as the memory cells produce more plasma cells which produces more antibodies when the non-self material enters the body for the second time?
    not sure about Unit 2...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    Say the essay will be on feedback, what points can we include?

All I can think of is
    Predator-Prey relationship (Unit4)
    Homeostasis, control of the heart and menstrual cycle (Unit 5)
    Maybe immunity? (Unit 1) as the memory cells produce more plasma cells which produces more antibodies when the non-self material enters the body for the second time?
    not sure about Unit 2...
    talk about temperature and glucose feedback, also try and find some extra stuff on positive feedback..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    talk about temperature and glucose feedback, also try and find some extra stuff on positive feedback..
    Yeah that would be under the homeostasis topic. Any ideas on unit 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    Yeah that would be under the homeostasis topic. Any ideas on unit 2?
    I guess you could talk about the bohr effect? Because when theres carbon dioxide, the affinity for oxygen lowers, which means more oxygen is released into cells for respiration, which produces even more carbon dioxide which again lowers the affinity of oxygen.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could talk about the bohr effect? Because when theres carbon dioxide, the affinity for oxygen lowers, which means more oxygen is released into cells for respiration, which produces even more carbon dioxide which again lowers the affinity of oxygen.
    ohh okay that's a good one!
    Could also talk about when one oxygen molecule binds to a haem group it then causes other oxygen molecules to bind more easily to the haemoglobin molecule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    Could also talk about when one oxygen molecule binds to a haem group it then causes other oxygen molecules to bind more easily to the haemoglobin molecule?
    you could talk about that yeah i guess, but also mention hyperthermia and hypothermia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    I guess you could talk about action potential propagation along the axon aand hyperpolarisation. Also you could relate stabilising selection in some way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mck9777)
    I guess you could talk about action potential propagation along the axon aand hyperpolarisation. Also you could relate stabilising selection in some way
    Could you elaborate more on stabilising selection? We can also talk about if acetylcholineesterase is inhibited and the acetylcholine remains bound to the postsynaptic membrane it will continue producing action potentials?

you could talk about that yeah i guess, but also mention hyperthermia and hypothermia
    Got it! thanks.

Thought this would be a very limited essay question but looking at it now theres various things we can include. Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    Could you elaborate more on stabilising selection? We can also talk about if acetylcholineesterase is inhibited and the acetylcholine remains bound to the postsynaptic membrane it will continue producing action potentials?

Got it! thanks.

Thought this would be a very limited essay question but looking at it now theres various things we can include. Thanks guys.
    I have some other stuff in my notes which I'll try and put on here later

ReputationRep:
    I have some other stuff in my notes which I'll try and put on here later
    That would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)

Got it! thanks.

Well stabilising selects against 'extreme' factors outside the middle range/mean value, any deviation from this could trigger a negative feedback response selecting against those alleles/phenotypes outside the norm effectively removing them from the population.
    Hence the "corrective response."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baloney26)
    Sorry guys it's an actual physical folder, I can send you the document I used to make essay plans and a picture of the bits of wider reading info if you like though?
    So sorry to bug you , but please please could you also send this to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vengefulcandy)
    If one is on biomolecules then it will be pretty easy marks. If it is genetics it definitely wont be DNA tech but it'll still be difficult to write.
    Out of curiosity, why dont you think it could be gene tec?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalapapa)
    Out of curiosity, why dont you think it could be gene tec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because it has already been asked in this specification. Aqa will want to ask something different as many students would have just learnt the points from the mark schemes in all the recent essays so it kinda defeats the purpose of being tested.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool got it! Thanks.

Mind me asking how you are prepping for the essay and if you have any good resources you could share ( sorry it's just I'm so nervous about this essay title )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalapapa)
    Oh cool got it! Thanks.

Mind me asking how you are prepping for the essay and if you have any good resources you could share ( sorry it's just I'm so nervous about this essay title )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be nervous about it, its an opportunity to gain some easy marks.
    I had a look at the the example titles on the Aqa spec, then looked at the essays that have already come up in order to rule out the least likely essays that will come up(read my post at end of page 17).
    Afterwards I went through and made very detailed plans on each essay title, and did extra reading to gain the 4 marks outside the spec.
    Finally I've condensed this down into flash cards with main points and just write out a couple of essays here and there.

Unless you have a ridiculous photographic memory then you will have to write out the information again and again and understand everything you are writing about. After a while you will notice that some of the essays overlap with points and it becomes easier to link things.
    Start with the easy essay titles, like proteins or ions for example.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.