Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boods8897)
    Ok so A can see two people in front of him. He doesn't say anything, which means B and C are different colours. B therefore knows he is different to C, and as C is red B therefore knows he is blue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by mmms95)
    B, bc the other's are quiet, a would've said if he knew, meaning b and c are different, therefor, b said his colour

ok riddle:
    a man went to a party and drank some punch. he then left early. after, everyone else who drank from the same punch died from poisoning. why didn't the man die?
    Both correct. I won't say anything about the punch riddle because I've already heard it, so it would be cheating for me to give the solution!

ReputationRep:
    B, bc the other's are quiet, a would've said if he knew, meaning b and c are different, therefor, b said his colour

ok riddle:
    a man went to a party and drank some punch. he then left early. after, everyone else who drank from the same punch died from poisoning. why didn't the man die?
    Either he poisoned it on his way out, or they drank way more than he did cos he left early so they all died of alcohol poisoning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Either he poisoned it on his way out, or they drank way more than he did cos he left early so they all died of alcohol poisoning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it was poisoned when he drank it! it doesn't matter what amount they drank, even a little bit would kill them

ReputationRep:
    No it was poisoned when he drank it! it doesn't matter what amount they drank, even a little bit would kill them
    Ermm... okay... He left early, got hit by a bus or whatever on his way out so died from something else before he could die from the poisoning?

Clutching at straws here No Idea!

ReputationRep:
    Ermm... okay... He left early, got hit by a bus or whatever on his way out so died from something else before he could die from the poisoning?

Clutching at straws here No Idea!
    nope ahah

ReputationRep:

ok riddle:
    was there any ice in the punch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samboosa0)
    was there any ice in the punch?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    So did the ice contain poison?

So later on after he left, the ice melted releasing the poison, leaving everyone dead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xin Xang)
    So did the ice contain poison?

So later on after he left, the ice melted releasing the poison, leaving everyone dead?
    yes that's right! he left early, which means he drank it early, so he didn't get any poison cause the ice cubes hadn't melted

ReputationRep:
    John has three daughters who are all unmarried. The youngest always lies, the oldest always tells the truth, and the one in the middle either tells the truth or lies. A very rich young man comes to John's house and says he wishes to marry one of his daughters. Naturally he wants to marry the oldest or the youngest so he will always know if she is lying or telling the truth. John agrees but says he can only ask one of the girls a yes or no question to decide which one he marries. They all look the same age.

What one question does he ask one of the daughters at random to figure out which daughter is the youngest or oldest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiaaaaaa)
    John has three daughters who are all unmarried. The youngest always lies, the oldest always tells the truth, and the one in the middle either tells the truth or lies. A very rich young man comes to John's house and says he wishes to marry one of his daughters. Naturally he wants to marry the oldest or the youngest so he will always know if she is lying or telling the truth. John agrees but says he can only ask one of the girls a yes or no question to decide which one he marries. They all look the same age.

What one question does he ask one of the daughters at random to figure out which daughter is the youngest or oldest?
    Are you married?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenemilyxx)
    Are you married?
    nope

ReputationRep:
    nope

is she older?

ReputationRep:

This is a lovely question! Since this took me a fair amount of time to solve, I shall give not just the answer, but a full solution.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Let the girls be A,B and C. Assume that we ask A the yes/no question. There is no way to tell, even after hearing the answer, whether A is the middle daughter, so under no circumstances should we marry A. Therefore, if a solution to this riddle exists, then it must be to marry one of the two remaining daughters if A answers 'yes' and to marry the other if A answers 'no.'

If A is indeed the middle daughter then it doesn't matter which of the other daughters we choose, so we need to differentiate between the four cases where A,B,C are respectively:
    Case 1: oldest, middle, youngest
    Case 2: youngest, middle, oldest
    Case 3: youngest, oldest, middle
    Case 4: oldest, youngest, middle
    Thus we need to find a question which gives one answer in the first two cases, and the other in the latter two. The most obvious example is, 'Are we in either of the cases 1 or 3?' This will get a 'yes' in the first two cases, and a 'no' in the second two cases.

In my opinion, this is the best possible question to ask, because it should how we have been able to solve the problem. However, if John's daughters get confused by the question and refuse to answer, then it can be replaced by 'Is B older than C?', which is equivalent.

Riddle in return:
    I'm light as a feather, yet the strongest man can't hold me for more than 5 minutes. What am I?

ReputationRep:
    Guess this riddle. Whoever guesses the correct answer then gives their own riddle for everyone to guess.

The riddle:

"The beginning of eternity
    The end of time and space
    The beginning of every end,
    And the end of every place."

What is it?
    the letter E.
    #likeabossuno

Edit: I just saw how long this thread is, I swear I didn't peak at previous answers, it just reminded me of the HP riddle in the Goblet of Fire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theOldBean)
    This is a lovely question! Since this took me a fair amount of time to solve, I shall give not just the answer, but a full solution.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Let the girls be A,B and C. Assume that we ask A the yes/no question. There is no way to tell, even after hearing the answer, whether A is the middle daughter, so under no circumstances should we marry A. Therefore, if a solution to this riddle exists, then it must be to marry one of the two remaining daughters if A answers 'yes' and to marry the other if A answers 'no.'

If A is indeed the middle daughter then it doesn't matter which of the other daughters we choose, so we need to differentiate between the four cases where A,B,C are respectively:
    Thus we need to find a question which gives one answer in the first two cases, and the other in the latter two. The most obvious example is, 'Are we in either of the cases 1 or 3?' This will get a 'yes' in the first two cases, and a 'no' in the second two cases.

In my opinion, this is the best possible question to ask, because it should how we have been able to solve the problem. However, if John's daughters get confused by the question and refuse to answer, then it can be replaced by 'Is B older than C?', which is equivalent.

Riddle in return:
    I'm light as a feather, yet the strongest man can't hold me for more than 5 minutes. What am I?
    Their breath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theOldBean)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Well if you asked a paradoxical question that too could work.

Suppose if you ask the question "Do you agree that this statement is false?"

Both the youngest and oldest will remain silent as it would be impossible to determine if it is true or not. But the middle will drop dead or their brain will explode as they must simultaneously give the yes and no answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Their breath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingdomOfTheLord)
    the letter E.
    #likeabossuno

Edit: I just saw how long this thread is, I swear I didn't peak at previous answers, it just reminded me of the HP riddle in the Goblet of Fire
    correct

ReputationRep:
    guess this riddle. Whoever guesses the correct answer then gives their own riddle for everyone to guess.

The riddle:

"the beginning of eternity
    the end of time and space
    the beginning of every end,
    and the end of every place."

what is it?
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2015
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.