St George's
    5.57%
    Other
    25.77%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmokedSalman)
    Thanks a million! I did email a couple of unis a while ago but they all replied with either the old requirements or said that they would update the website 'soon'. I'll send another email to them next month if they haven't updated. I know Kings has updated their requirements and I meet all of them so far (bar the UKCAT since I haven't taken it yet). I've tried emailing Hull York but they haven't replied. And it has been a hell of a lot of time. I'm leaning more towards Southampton since HYMS puts a lot of emphasis on GCSE.

I've heard the foundation courses require non-science subjects though so would I still qualify?
    I can't speak for all of them but I know you'll definitely still qualify for the EMDP course at King's. I've spent quite a lot of time there for various things ( MedView etc) and it does look very good. But I wouldn't know for the other universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moodicrus)
    I can't speak for all of them but I know you'll definitely still qualify for the EMDP course at King's. I've spent quite a lot of time there for various things ( MedView etc) and it does look very good. But I wouldn't know for the other universities
    The EMDP course website says that 'this programme is only open to students from non-selective, state schools in Greater London'. It seems to be similar in other unis too. I think I'll have to stick with the usual 5 year course. Thanks for the info though, I will look into it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina1999H)
    Just out of curiosity, would it have a massive effect on my medical application if I did A level history instead of maths? (Along with Chem and bio Ofc)

And will I need that level of maths in chemistry or further on in a medical degree? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Universities like UCL actually prefer you to have a non-science based 3rd option as it shows you're more ' well rounded' and all that, plus its a really good topic that they can ask you at an interview as to why you picked it. The only university I would say that you couldn't apply to is Cambridge, but apart from that, it is no different

I've spoken to a couple of medical students and they all categorically said that A Level chemistry is not needed at all during most courses, most unis want it because it's difficult so it's a good indicator of aptitude. However, courses vary from uni to uni and I attended a Cambridge masterclass and there was definitely chemistry involved. One part of the day was talking about action potentials in nerves and they were using maths (look up cable theory if you're interested). So, overall I'd say maths and chemistry ( to an A Level standard) isn't necessarily needed, but it does depend on the university

ReputationRep:
    The EMDP course website says that 'this programme is only open to students from non-selective, state schools in Greater London'. It seems to be similar in other unis too. I think I'll have to stick with the usual 5 year course. Thanks for the info though, I will look into it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn, really sorry about that, but its definitely worth looking into the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    Hey guys i got 3 A* s bout 5 As 2Bs and a merit in Ict
    Doing Biology Chemistry Maths and Spanish
    I'm thinking about Keele Newcastle and Nottingham not sure though ill see after my AS results and what my teachers predict me.
    I know based on most people here and a lot of people that for medicine these grades aren't the best I am still applying and see how it goes
    Exact same gcse grades as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hashman)
    Exact same gcse grades as me
    whihc places you applying too i hope we both get in

ReputationRep:
    whihc places you applying too i hope we both get in
    omg i hope sooo im thinking keele st georges not sure about the others i think i got around AABB at AS so bit under confident wbu how were your exams?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, another 'are my grade good enough' guy here:
    4A*s 5As at GCSE
    Predicted AAA at A2 (hopefully A*AA) and possibly a in AS physics.
    Would a decent UKCAT score get me into St George's, Manchester, Southampton and Imperial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    Hey guys, another 'are my grade good enough' guy here:
    4A*s 5As at GCSE
    Predicted AAA at A2 (hopefully A*AA) and possibly a in AS physics.
    Would a decent UKCAT score get me into St George's, Manchester, Southampton and Imperial?
    You need BMAT for Imperial
    And a 'decent' UKCAT score may not cut it for Manchester as i think they prefer higher UKCAT scores, I'm not sure about the others, though, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    omg i hope sooo im thinking keele st georges not sure about the others i think i got around AABB at AS so bit under confident wbu how were your exams?
    lol weird im thinking of keele as well and probably newcastle and nottingham but not really sure and think they went ok probably about AABB AAAB or AAAC tbh i dont really know they were ok but i made alot of silly mistakes

ReputationRep:
    lol weird im thinking of keele as well and probably newcastle and nottingham but not really sure and think they went ok probably about AABB AAAB or AAAC tbh i dont really know they were ok but i made alot of silly mistakes
    omg same so many silly mistakes

ReputationRep:
    omg same so many silly mistakes
    yeah i hate it i still hope i can get the grades i want but even so year 13 year im gonna make sure that doesnt happen again

ReputationRep:
    Will entry requirements have changed this year due to the new A level system?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you all join up to the 2017 medical applicants uk page on facebook :P Successful medical applicants in year 13 going to like ucl, cambridge, oxford, brighton are all posting their resources + tips so it'll be worth your time!

Here's the url, thank me later :P
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2017...lapplicantsuk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Will entry requirements have changed this year due to the new A level system?
    Some uni's have changed it but others haven't - you would have to check each individual website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey what date did u do ukcat and did u do the kaplan course:?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agahaga)
    hey what date did u do ukcat and did u do the kaplan course:?
    I'm doing it on the 11th, and I did the UKCAT crash course by 6med. It's absolutely excellent. I've heard that the kaplan course is terrible and expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good Idea to take both the UKCAT and BMAT? Or should you just focus on one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Is it a good Idea to take both the UKCAT and BMAT? Or should you just focus on one
    Well it depends. I know people who've taken both and did well in both. I personally only did the UKCAT because there's nothing to learn. The BMAT tests scientific knowledge up to GCSE level and I think I'd be at a disadvantage since I'm Irish and so I didn't do the GCSEs. Also, the BMAT just seemed like an extra load on top of my normal studies. I'm doing the UKCAT next month and I'm done with it. The BMAT is in November (I think). I'd only apply for the BMAT if I was keen on going to the BMAT unis (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and a couple of others). If you are going to apply I'd say do the UKCAT in late July (you'd have a month to prepare, go to the crash course or something similar). Then use August onwards to prepare for the BMAT.

If anyone else could add something it'd be great because I'm not a British student so I wouldn't know how much time etc you'd have to prepare for the BMAT. I hope I've helped.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends. I know people who've taken both and did well in both. I personally only did the UKCAT because there's nothing to learn. The BMAT tests scientific knowledge up to GCSE level and I think I'd be at a disadvantage since I'm Irish and so I didn't do the GCSEs. Also, the BMAT just seemed like an extra load on top of my normal studies. I'm doing the UKCAT next month and I'm done with it. The BMAT is in November (I think). I'd only apply for the BMAT if I was keen on going to the BMAT unis (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and a couple of others). If you are going to apply I'd say do the UKCAT in late July (you'd have a month to prepare, go to the crash course or something similar). Then use August onwards to prepare for the BMAT.

If anyone else could add something it'd be great because I'm not a British student so I wouldn't know how much time etc you'd have to prepare for the BMAT. I hope I've helped.
    Yeh I was more worried that I wouldn't have time to do them, thanks for your help. Anyone know how long you should spend preparing for the BMAT?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.