Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St. John's College 2016 Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Random1357
Thanks, Physical NatSci, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got an offer for physical nat sci as well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Pmsl :wink:
Original post by Shreshth
Got an offer for physical nat sci as well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by felecita
Congrats! Offer for economics, just got the letter!

Same here! Well done :smile:
Reply 363
I received an offer to study maths today, was very pleased! Hope the ones that have still not heard hear soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm an international applicant, and I did not receive an email today. Hopefully I'll receive one tomorrow!
That's great, good to find someone with the same as me! Congrats :biggrin: What was your offer?

I'll PM you :biggrin:
Reply 366
Hey guys i'm a 3rd year natsci at johns. If any of you have questions relating to johns or natsci i'd be happy to answer either on this thread or via PM, just have patience with how long it may take to reply :wink:

And congrats to everyone here with offers! The hard part is over, study hard to make sure you meet it :wink:
Original post by R T
Hey guys i'm a 3rd year natsci at johns. If any of you have questions relating to johns or natsci i'd be happy to answer either on this thread or via PM, just have patience with how long it may take to reply :wink:

And congrats to everyone here with offers! The hard part is over, study hard to make sure you meet it :wink:

Can you give us an overview of first year accommodation please? Like size of rooms, ensuite etc. I keep hearing different things. Thank you!
Reply 368
Can you give us an overview of first year accommodation please? Like size of rooms, ensuite etc. I keep hearing different things. Thank you!

Did you not stay there for interview? The room I stayed in was a first year room and it was a really nice room, medium-large for a uni room and the bathroom was shared between a group of 4/5 rooms as well as a shared kitchen :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
Did you not stay there for interview? The room I stayed in was a first year room and it was a really nice room, medium-large for a uni room and the bathroom was shared between a group of 4/5 rooms as well as a shared kitchen :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The college allocated me guest accommodation rather than a room in Cripps, where I know some people were. Thanks for your input, glad to know the room was okay :smile:
Just got rejected from St John's for medicine :frown:. Interview was ok, but I wasn't going to prepare to get my hopes up anyway. Ahh well, still have other interviews anyway so it's not the end of the world :smile:
Reply 371
Well first year is done on a random ballot. So you are numbered 1-170. #1 gets to choose first, then #2, etc.The first year rooms you get to choose from are largely chapel court/ north court/ cripps (these staircases are where you want to be because you want to be around freshers) unless there is an unusually large number of you. And it tends to be you pay for what you want unless you're too low down to get any choice.

Firstly, there are properly ensuite rooms in Cripps (they are pricey) but there aren't many and they are understandably popular, so the chance of getting one is low. I dont know exact numbers but you need to be near the top.
Then there are a range of cripps rooms, ranging from those which are sort of two rooms with a sliding wall, to those which are just 1 room, but none of them are small. All cripps rooms are generally quite big though, and all cripps rooms will come with a good (new) sink, radiator, lights, etc. All cripps rooms have access to a cripps kitchen, which is a bit underwhelming. And if you don't have an ensuite room, then you will have a bathroom which can only be opened by your card + maybe 2/3 others.

Chapel court and north court both work in psuedo double sets. So there will be a bathroom, kitchen, (small) hallway, 1 large bedroom and 1 small bedroom. The larger room is normally quite a bit larger - near the size of the average cripps room and near the price. This is kind of the size which is fine to have a small party or about 5-10 people around for pre drinks or something.The small room is more like a bedroom, and generally has enough space for a desk, wardrobe, bed, and some floor space but you wouldn't comfortably fit more than 3 people in there. The price does reflect this and they're about £300-400 cheaper.
In my opinion, this is better value than Cripps. The downside is that Cripps does tend to be the hub of parties and pre-drinks in general, and I suppose if the person you live next to is really difficult for whatever reason that could be bad.

The accommodation, now that it has very recently been refurbished, is very good. The only downside is generally the cost, but considering you're at the centre of cambridge it is quite reasonable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by R T
Well first year is done on a random ballot. So you are numbered 1-170. #1 gets to choose first, then #2, etc.The first year rooms you get to choose from are largely chapel court/ north court/ cripps (these staircases are where you want to be because you want to be around freshers) unless there is an unusually large number of you. And it tends to be you pay for what you want unless you're too low down to get any choice.

Firstly, there are properly ensuite rooms in Cripps (they are pricey) but there aren't many and they are understandably popular, so the chance of getting one is low. I dont know exact numbers but you need to be near the top.
Then there are a range of cripps rooms, ranging from those which are sort of two rooms with a sliding wall, to those which are just 1 room, but none of them are small. All cripps rooms are generally quite big though, and all cripps rooms will come with a good (new) sink, radiator, lights, etc. All cripps rooms have access to a cripps kitchen, which is a bit underwhelming. And if you don't have an ensuite room, then you will have a bathroom which can only be opened by your card + maybe 2/3 others.

Chapel court and north court both work in psuedo double sets. So there will be a bathroom, kitchen, (small) hallway, 1 large bedroom and 1 small bedroom. The larger room is normally quite a bit larger - near the size of the average cripps room and near the price. This is kind of the size which is fine to have a small party or about 5-10 people around for pre drinks or something.The small room is more like a bedroom, and generally has enough space for a desk, wardrobe, bed, and some floor space but you wouldn't comfortably fit more than 3 people in there. The price does reflect this and they're about £300-400 cheaper.
In my opinion, this is better value than Cripps. The downside is that Cripps does tend to be the hub of parties and pre-drinks in general, and I suppose if the person you live next to is really difficult for whatever reason that could be bad.

The accommodation, now that it has very recently been refurbished, is very good. The only downside is generally the cost, but considering you're at the centre of cambridge it is quite reasonable.

That is great, thank you so much for taking time out to help us!
Did anyone here get an offer for CompSci? I'm looking to make a mini group on Facebook or something.
hi, any international students who applied for engineering at st. johns had a skype interview or were they called over to the campus for an interview
Reply 375
Hey guys, I've got an unconditional offer for Economics ! Anyone else ? :h:
Reply 376
Original post by claravu
Hey guys, I've got an unconditional offer for Economics ! Anyone else ? :h:

I am guessing you are a gap year student then? I have an offer for maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
No I'm not. I'm currently studying in a french "classe preparatory", it's two years of preparation in order to get into a French business school. But in the beginning of the year I applied to Cambridge and I got an offer. So i'll come there next year!!Looking forward to meeting all students !!

I am guessing you are a gap year student then? I have an offer for maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Original post by claravu
No I'm not. I'm currently studying in a french "classe preparatory", it's two years of preparation in order to get into a French business school. But in the beginning of the year I applied to Cambridge and I got an offer. So i'll come there next year!!Looking forward to meeting all students !!

That's amazing well done you! Some of us have scary grades to meet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 379
Thanks! Don't worry, I passed the french one two years ago 🙏🏻

That's amazing well done you! Some of us have scary grades to meet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

:bong:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending