Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    My example pretty much shows that STEM grads don't always earn more than Arts grads.

You seem to be butthurt over that which shows a lot of you tbh.
    I am sure there are people with no qualifications earning more than graduates, does that mean a degree is pointless?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    This is one of the reasons why non stem graduates get paid less than their stem counterparts. They take a sample of 2 and extrapolate to the entire population. Anyone who knows about how evidence and statistics work know this is invalid and misleading. A sample of 2 is far too small to draw meaningful conclusions from.
    http://www.emolument.com/career_advi...who_earns_more

Granted the above is skewed by the type of users this site attracts (usually high tech, high finance, consulting, accounting, engineering etc type professionals), but it gives you an idea that for high paying jobs - the results are not what you are preaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    This is one of the reasons why non stem graduates get paid less than their stem counterparts. They take a sample of 2 and extrapolate to the entire population. Anyone who knows about how evidence and statistics work know this is invalid and misleading. A sample of 2 is far too small to draw meaningful conclusions from.
    did you read the thread of posts you were replying to or just make assumptions to use as an excuse for a cheap shot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    My sample is small yes but it disproves OP's idea that if you do an Arts subject you're doomed and destined to work in low menial jobs.

Genuine question, do you make people who do Arts subjects/want to do it feel bad about doing something they love because you're a troll or you suffer from low self esteem and so are childish enough to think that insulting people will make you feel bigger?
    (Original post by Broscientist)
    Anecdotal evidence is not representative of the whole sample we are discussing (humanities). Nobody is disputing that an/a arts/humanities grad may have a higher starting salary. But is this the case on average?

Edge cases indicate that there may be a possibility of it happening, not the likelihood. In the end, we deal with what is most representative for the sample we are discussing, not with Joshua's aunt, who is earning 50k pounds from home.

And I have not even touched on the biggest issues of anecdotal evidence - validity and biased selectivity.
    And where did I say that this was impossible for arts/humanities grads? What I wrote above is relevant to you as well. Or are your relatives representative of all arts/humanities graduates?

I love it when people get personal.

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
    You didn't say that no. But you seem to be have this idea like OP that STEM grads always earn more when my example shows that they don't always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What did you study at uni and what do you do now other than belittle non stem students in your spare time?
    Why is telling the truth belittling, if you can't handle the truth, go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    http://www.emolument.com/career_advi...who_earns_more

Granted the above is skewed by the type of users this site attracts (usually high tech, high finance, consulting, accounting, engineering etc type professionals), but it gives you an idea that for high paying jobs - the results are not what you are preaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The salaries are interesting, they seem very high even after 15 years. Where do the numbers come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    You didn't say that no. But you seem to be have this idea like OP that STEM grads always earn more when my example shows that they don't always.
    I "seem" to have this idea? Even though I never said that STEM graduates always, without exception, have a higher starting salary?

Please understand that I am interested in representative data/statistics, not cherry-picked examples. You can take it or leave it. But do not perceive it as a personal attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why is telling the truth belittling, if you can't handle the truth, go elsewhere.
    i suspect you're not being entirely honest and know as well as we do that it's not your 'telling the truth' that people 'can't handle'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    The salaries are interesting, they seem very high even after 15 years. Where do the numbers come from?
    The site does say 'crowd-sourced pay data'. But as I mentioned, the data is skewed towards a demographic with good jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    People who can do those are 10 a penny, people who can do maths gets the money.
    thats not the reason stem get jobs, they get them because of actually useful skills like coding, designing solutions to engineering problems (doesnt really use any maths), finance employ from both stem and non stem so dont use those careers either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    thats not the reason stem get jobs, they get them because of actually useful skills like coding, designing solutions to engineering problems (doesnt really use any maths), finance employ from both stem and non stem so dont use those careers either.
    managing people and projects tends to be the more valued skill at higher level jobs in all fields though

ReputationRep:
    The site does say 'crowd-sourced pay data'. But as I mentioned, the data is skewed towards a demographic with good jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I rather doubt the figures because average salaries in Britain is around £30,000 pa and the figures in the link is over £100,000 pa. I think very few people earn over £100,000 pa even after 15 years experience so I think wherever the figures are from, they are not representative of UK salaries and the B A vs B Sc is not resolved..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    i suspect you're not being entirely honest and know as well as we do that it's not your 'telling the truth' that people 'can't handle'
    There is a lot of me people can't handle, I could not give a toss whether they can or not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    I rather doubt the figures because average salaries in Britain is around £30,000 pa and the figures in the link is over £100,000 pa. I think very few people earn over £100,000 pa even after 15 years experience so I think wherever the figures are from, they are not representative of UK salaries and the B A vs B Sc is not resolved..
    I'm aware. That's why I said the data is skewed towards those with good jobs. It does show however, that if one gets a good job, the pay differences are pretty much negligible for either degree type. Which is the point I'm trying to make here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    There is a lot of me people can't handle, I could not give a toss whether they can or not.
    that's not really an excuse for being rude and/or unpleasant to other people

ReputationRep:
    managing people and projects tends to be the more valued skill at higher level jobs in all fields though
    You dont gain the managing people skill from stem degrees on the whole though, some people do but the majority do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    You dont gain the managing people skill from stem degrees on the whole though, some people do but the majority do not.
    indeed, i'm sure individuals learn a bit here and there on their undergrad courses regardless of whether they're STEM or not. they're transferable skills that are picked up more from employment, experience and other 'extra-curricular' stuff.

to be honest, STEM vs. non-STEM probably is on the list of things some employers consider, with (i suspect) STEM being slightly favoured. but it's right at the bottom of that list, and most really don't give a **** about your degree except where you use it to demonstrate those key skills

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware. That's why I said the data is skewed towards those with good jobs. It does show however, that if one gets a good job, the pay differences are pretty much negligible for either degree type. Which is the point I'm trying to make here.
    Again, without knowing more about the data, its not possible to draw any conclusions. How do we know if they are average salaries, salaries divided by gender or location.

For example, most of the jobs done by the BA graduates could be in capital cities where big firms have their HQ and where salaries are higher and the BSc graduates are in factories or research labs outside capital cities where its cheaper and salaries are lower.

ReputationRep:
    that's not really an excuse for being rude and/or unpleasant to other people
    You are confusing directness with rudeness.Where I come from you speak your mind.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    Again, without knowing more about the data, its not possible to draw any conclusions. How do we know if they are average salaries, salaries divided by gender or location.

For example, most of the jobs done by the BA graduates could be in capital cities where big firms have their HQ and where salaries are higher and the BSc graduates are in factories or research labs outside capital cities where its cheaper and salaries are lower.
    Nah, that assumption isn't really correct. I'd suggest making an account on the site to see where most of the data originates from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.