AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    would dna is longer than rna get a mark for differences between them?
    Also Y was clearly a channel protein, if I jusst said it has a role in facilitated diffusion would it be right?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the reason why the substitute enzyme worked due to degeneracy of triplet code so different primary structure but same secondary structure and tertiary structure so active site complementary to active site

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10moxoma)
    Also Y was clearly a channel protein, if I jusst said it has a role in facilitated diffusion would it be right?
    Differences is 1) pentose sugar in dna is Deoxyribose but in RNA ribose 2) rna has uracil as a base instead of thymine 3) rna is a single strand but dna is double

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemauricien)
    Differences is 1) pentose sugar in dna is Deoxyribose but in RNA ribose 2) rna has uracil as a base instead of thymine 3) rna is a single strand but dna is double

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but dna is a lot longer than rna, are those^^ the only possible answers?

ReputationRep:
    yes i think it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    yes i think it does
    for which one?

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for the role of protein y?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    have many other differences like the fact that rna is straight and dna has helix they usually have a lot of different answwers for questions like that

ReputationRep:
    for which one?
    rna one sorry not sure bout the other one though

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for the role of protein y?
    i think that you had to talk about the role of channel proteins (e.g. transport of charged particles).. I

ReputationRep:
    It already told you in the question it helped with diffusion, so maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the reason why the substitute enzyme worked due to degeneracy of triplet code so different primary structure but same secondary structure and tertiary structure so active site complementary to active site

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Different base pairing changes how proteins fold so no this is incorrect, as nitrogen bases contain N - H bonds which allow them to hydrogen bond to other nitrogenous bases hence different base pairing affecting folding

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    was it 3 marks for that q?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cxxk)
    was it 3 marks for that q?
    I didn't even do the exam, but I know thats the possible answers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splaffie)
    Different base pairing changes how proteins fold so no this is incorrect, as nitrogen bases contain N - H bonds which allow them to hydrogen bond to other nitrogenous bases hence different base pairing affecting folding
    Ah I didn't even do the exam I'm just basing off what I'm hearing , whar was the wording of the q?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah I didn't even do the exam I'm just basing off what I'm hearing , whar was the wording of the q?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was a substitute of propylene glycol between the glycerol molecule and 3 fatty acids, there wouldn't be an ester bond but I'm pretty sure the question would have nothing to do with ester bonds because you're not told the structure of the propylene glycol molecule, what I believed they were looking for was another classic 'different molecule shape means the lipase enzyme cannot act on it due to the need for a complementary shape for it to be able to bind with the active site therefore cannot form an enzyme-substrate complex and therefore cannot be catalysed and broken down' like atleast 5 other questions in the exam

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even do the exam, but I know thats the possible answers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was a 3 mark question with 4 possible answers;
    DNA contains deoxyribose mRNA contains ribose
    DNA is double stranded mRNA is single stranded
    DNA has the based Guanine Adenine Cystosine and Thymine whereas mRNA has Uracil instead of Thymine,
    and the fourth which you didn't mention was that DNA contains both introns and exons whereas introns have been spliced out and the exons joined together in mRNA

ReputationRep:
    It was a substitute of propylene glycol between the glycerol molecule and 3 fatty acids, there wouldn't be an ester bond but I'm pretty sure the question would have nothing to do with ester bonds because you're not told the structure of the propylene glycol molecule, what I believed they were looking for was another classic 'different molecule shape means the lipase enzyme cannot act on it due to the need for a complementary shape for it to be able to bind with the active site therefore cannot form an enzyme-substrate complex and therefore cannot be catalysed and broken down' like atleast 5 other questions in the exam
    that is exactly what i put

ReputationRep:
    It was a 3 mark question with 4 possible answers;
    DNA contains deoxyribose mRNA contains ribose
    DNA is double stranded mRNA is single stranded
    DNA has the based Guanine Adenine Cystosine and Thymine whereas mRNA has Uracil instead of Thymine,
    and the fourth which you didn't mention was that DNA contains both introns and exons whereas introns have been spliced out and the exons joined together in mRNA
    Can someone pleeease tell me what the answer was on the first page about semi conservative replication??

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

would also accept introns and exans since thats a valid point
    Attached Images

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.