What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Don't take the work lightly, be prepared with folders and resources for work and get stuck in from the start, as it will he harder for you later in the year if you don't get stuck in at the start, and last of all....have fun with friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    Advice: drop out and do a BTEC
    No don't do that

ReputationRep:
    a) that year 7 - 10 exams actually matter b) that the gravitational field strength of the earth was 10N/kg

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you are 100% of the subjects you want to take because it may be too late to change your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    If you are positive you are not an exam person do not even waste time do a BTEC it saves time and stress and is exactly equivalent to an A level don't let anyone tell you different.

ReputationRep:
    Stay organised from day one
    Start revision early (like 3/4 months)
    Use the Christmas and Easter holidays efficiently
    Do not leave coursework until last minute
    Try not to miss any days
    Make sure to ask questions, however stupid you may think they are
    Catch up on any notes you miss
    Make a revision timetable
    Find out your exam dates in advance

ReputationRep:
    I would say to guarantee yourself top grades you need try and work above what the specification requires. I think you need to know everything in the specification in depth (where possible) and above the A level standard. It's the only way to know that you will not be stumped by an A level question as you will be above it.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT do an EPQ

ReputationRep:
    You will soon realise how big the jump is from GCSE to A-Level, but it is important that you use this knowledge wisely and put maximum effort in as well as learning good revision techniques now. Try your hardest in everything but as cliche as it sounds, make sure to believe in your own potential - you're probably more capable than you think you are, trust me. Don't be disheartened when you revise hard for a mock and get a D, revisit it and look at where you went wrong, then learn from it and move on.
    Also good luck with the new linear system :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be lazy, start revising early, make notes as you go through the topics, use additional textbooks and websites for your notes.
    And don't watch anime. Once you start, you can never stop, it will ruin your life, just don't do it, trust me :nyan:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    I would say to guarantee yourself top grades you need try and work above what the specification requires. I think you need to know everything in the specification in depth (where possible) and above the A level standard. It's the only way to know that you will not be stumped by an A level question as you will be above it.
    wherr can I find things above a-level standard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Case)
    DO NOT do an EPQ
    Why

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    wherr can I find things above a-level standard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just look around online. What subjects are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Don't let anybody tell you that you cannot succeed.

Your GCSE results do not impact your A level results. Just because you got a B at GCSE does not automatically mean you cannot get an A* at A2.

Learn how you work best. Your success at A levels depends on the work you put in at this stage. Most teachers assume that you forgot everything over the summer anyway as they recap everything at the start of Year 12 (another tip: try not to forget everything over the summer!! ).

ReputationRep:
    Just look around online. What subjects are you doing?
    Maths, Further Mathematics, Economics and Biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Maths, Further Mathematics, Economics and Biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For maths head over to www.madasmath.co.uk
    Great for practice questions. For maths just try and read around he subject. Look at STEP perhaps, just do anything to improve your overall mathematical ability and it will really help your mathematical thinking in exams.

ReputationRep:
    Consistantly study, Start topics the day you get them. Write fast and copy everything down. Go that extra mile if you want the As. They wont just be handed to you like GCSEs are.

ReputationRep:
    -When you do past papers make sure you happy with what you are getting and look to see an improvement over time. If not revise more and learn from your mistakes.
    -Tick off the specification to make sure you've learnt everything and nothing should shock you.
    -Try and be able to answer every question on all the past papers.. Aim for 100 so you get higher than if you aimed for like 80 or 90.
    -Also once you go through past papers do questions from other papers (Solomon papers etc. Or other exam boards with the same topics) on every topic you learnt for a bit then go back to past papers when you've forgotten the answers.
    -Try and do all past papers at least twice.
    -Start revising from the beginning and go over what you learn in every lesson
    -Go over every topic atleast 3 times
    -Keep track of what you get on past papers and make sure you meet your target.
    -On your second attempt on the past papers make sure you see an improvement from the first attempt and so on.
    -Focus on your weaker subjects when you have got your important subjects to where you want.
    -Ask the teacher for extra homework and questions.
    -If there is something you don't know ask the teacher straight away, or write it down and ask at the end.
    -Treat your mocks like the real thing
    -Always do more than is required if you are aiming for the best (which you should be).
    -Don't get frustrated if you don't get something, watch YouTube videos on it, ask your teacher then attempt some questions.
    -Take your time and do not rush things, make sure you understand everything you are doing.
    -it's better to understand how to do something than just know how to do it
    Try and understand it and you will remember it easier.
    -Never give up
    -If you get bored take a break
    -Don't neglect subjects
    -Always think you will pass, think positively.
    -Nothing is impossible, you can get straight As, if x can why can't you? Just work as hard as you need to
    -What you put in, is what you get it.
    -Make sure you pick right subjects, if you know what you want to do check the entry requirements.
    -Find something to motivate you, dream career? Uni? Making parents proud?
    -Try and want to revise, it shouldn't be something you have to do.
    -Help others out if they need it, it reinforces your memory and maybe they'll help you in the future.

This is dragging so I'll end here. Hopefully you find this useful, and sorry if I repeat anything.
    Good luck on your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For maths head over to www.madasmath.co.uk
    Great for practice questions. For maths just try and read around he subject. Look at STEP perhaps, just do anything to improve your overall mathematical ability and it will really help your mathematical thinking in exams.
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok here is my advice

1) dont fall behind. It is very easy to do so and you dont want to add to your stress come exam period. Make sure if you miss a lesson you catch up.
    2) always keep ticking over with revisiom. For example you may learn unit 1 my december and then unit 2 after then. After december every now and then you should be ticking over unit 1 so its fresh in your mind. HOW MANY people telling me in april "oh i havemt touched unit 4 chem in 3 months i forgotnit all'. Make sure you are not one of them
    3) Long term plan should be made. This means that plan what you want done by next week maybe instead of wvery day. A good example is "my next week i want to be solid in the content of kinetics and nmr"
    4) be specifc in your targets. Its no good saying "ill do 2 hours of revisiom". What revsiom do you mean? A better mentality is "today ill attempt an m2 paper and do some polar equation questions from fp2" - this way you know exactly what you are doing
    5) know your progress for all modules. For example i was fine in every maths module and chem u4 bit was weak in chem u5 and econ u3 and u4. Therefore i knew i needed to work more in these modules.
    6) do harder questions and TOPIC question. This is important. How many times have you heard people say after an exam "oh that exam was so hard". You have to be prepared for worst case sceanario and harder questions helps your understanding. Topic questions are the boss as they help you know which topics you need to work on
    7) do stuff beyond the classroom. This is so important if you want an A*. The teavhers can only guide you and teach you the content but end of the day its up to you to take resposibility. So what if you havent been taught c4?why cant you learn it at home? This way its easier to get back to it when they teach it to you
    Thats all for now!!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.