University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    You'll be eating a lot of fries from the 'Van of life', you'll understand exactly what I mean when you see it.
    Googled it, sounds more like the 'van of death' to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Nono, that's a different food truck

Van of life food is actually decent tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Nah, van of death is on the other side, that already exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eniet)
    Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but what is a CAS? I haven't received any e-mail after yesterday... seems all of the material is coming only through mail and not by e-mail at all!
    It's the thing internationals need to apply for their visa? Perhaps you've got some EU ties so you don't need a visa and don't need to worry about this crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Their 'cheesy chips' are actually abysmal (van of life); it's like partially melted grated cheese and partially is an overstatement. But their chips in general are good value with a good range of sauces.

Gardie's is good grease food I guess, I'm not a big fan of Gardie's tbh, however, I haven't actually tried their chips.
    Yes, that's what I was talking about. Only seen in photo but didn't look very inviting.....esp the cheesy bit. Looks plastic......

Gardie's ok, had their kebab for quick lunch a few times. Cheep and cheerful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Does anyone know what the Clare College food is like?? Also a bit of a weird question but are the colleges good with their vegetarian meals, or would it be impossible for me to sustain this for the 3/4 years?
    Every college has a fair number of students who are vegetarian for various reasons (many for religious reason), so there's always a vegetarian option. you will not starve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Yes, that's what I was talking about. Only seen in photo but didn't look very inviting.....esp the cheesy bit. Looks plastic......

Gardie's ok, had their kebab for quick lunch a few times. Cheep and cheerful.
    Yeah I've had Gardie's kebabs, they're not that bad tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Every college has a fair number of students who are vegetarian for various reasons (many for religious reason), so there's always a vegetarian option. you will not starve.
    Good to hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Good to hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They have to, as there're many people with different dietary requirement, so if the main is pork-based, Jewish or Muslim people have to go for veg option instead.

Won't guarantee the quality, though!
    My daughter had a veg option once a week when it looked good......but said sometimes she felt sorry for vegetarians.

ReputationRep:
    The (possibly out of date) alternative prospectus website seems to have disappeared, but from my spreadsheet apparently Christ's, Corpus Christi, Magdalene, St John's, and Trinity Hall are the only colleges that don't guarantee a vegetarian option for all meals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's the thing internationals need to apply for their visa? Perhaps you've got some EU ties so you don't need a visa and don't need to worry about this crap?
    I'm a Finnish citizen - i.e. an EU citizen. - so I don't have to do anything with Visas - fortunately Good luck with the process though mate! What country do you come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    The (possibly out of date) alternative prospectus website seems to have disappeared, but from my spreadsheet apparently Christ's, Corpus Christi, Magdalene, St John's, and Trinity Hall are the only colleges that don't guarantee a vegetarian option for all meals.
    New alternative prospectus (it was redone earlier this year, feat. some contributions from my good self) is here, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eniet)
    I'm a Finnish - and by extension, EU - citizen so I don't have to do anything with Visas - fortunately Good luck with the process though mate! What country do you come from?
    Ah, lucky!

Mauritius.

ReputationRep:
    It's here: http://www.applytocambridge.com

But I'd be surprised if that was actually the case. I'm sure they would have to offer a veggie option - even if you have to pre-arrange it.

Edit: beaten by the Fez...

ReputationRep:
    I think you were looking at old Alternative Prospectus. Did it look like a bit old fashioned, with a lot of Cambridge blue logos? That had been around for at least 6-7 years. Probably even more.
    They now have a new one that's been on for a few months now.
    http://www.applytocambridge.com

And, afaik, all colleges do have a veg option every day.
    Best way is to check each college's website.

Edit:
    Beaten by Fez and jneill......

(Original post by EnglishMuon)
    didn't u make the most of free nandos the a level results students the other day?
    How did I miss that??? :facepalm:

I suppose going pescatarian/vegetarian for 30 weeks a year is only a good thing for my health tbh. I'll maybe lose some weight too finally

I'll miss donner and chips tho

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd leave this here:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 23.05.44.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  27.9 KB

:banana2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    New alternative prospectus (it was redone earlier this year, feat. some contributions from my good self) is here, by the way.
    Well done on your contribution! 'Bout time wasn't it?
    The old one was looking very tired already with lots of out of date info when my daughter started pondering about applying, and that's more than 6 yrs ago!

(Original post by jneill)
    Just thought I'd leave this here:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 23.05.44.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  27.9 KB

:banana2:
    No one really wants to go there tbh

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.