The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm Carpetguy. I like playing Squash. Enjoy reading too, mangaish. Anime a lil bit. Also like computers (ie coding and being geeky) - currently trying to learn Unity and Blender to make my own very game.

A Levels: Taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Physics (Pre-U). Also Italian GCSE. Want to try do some German and Chemistry on the side too. And hoping to be able to do Additional Further Maths (last 6 modules of A Level).

GCSEs: A in Short Course RS (1 UMS off A*. Going for remark defo). 10 A*s.

I lyke Physics. Career is probably engineering or physics or something entrepeneury.

Will apply Ox/Bridge, Imperial, somewhere else cool. Looking at America too (why not?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Ikr, what's making it worse is the fact that my favourite Biology teacher (or just favourite teacher ever) is teaching the other class instead
    Yeah pretty sure I want to do medicine but I keep changing my mind all the time so idk.
    Yep, Bio, Chem, Maths + FM (hence the reason for 9 maths lessons a week )

Same I feel like I'm going to flop everything and that I just luckily fluked GCSEs
    I'm really not sure and debating whether I should take Chemistry on top of Biology, Geography and Psychology to keep options open for medicine, but I'm really not sure if I like it enough or if I'm even good enough for medicine as a course! Really confused about my options right now if I'm being honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    How many subjects are you doing? The norm at our school is 3 due to the new reforms...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same with my college, you could only do four if you got AABBB at GCSE and I was one A off so I missed out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XLittleSparrowX)
    Same with my college, you could only do four if you got AABBB at GCSE and I was one A off so I missed out there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah same! At our sixth form you had to get straight As at GCSE to do 4 A Levels and I got 2 A*s and 8 As (& 1 B) so they offered it to me, but I don't want to compromise any grades for another AS level that isn't exactly necessary

Some friends that I will go through year 12 with:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  IMG_0405 (1).JPG
Views: 136
Size:  124.8 KB

I still need to get the Maths textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    I took a look at some STEP past papers and was overwhelmed by the problems. Sounds like you're really good at Maths. Take Additional Further Maths if you can.

I like browsing the STEP prep threads because of the banter they have with each other. Dedicated Maths students are funny to me.
    Yh ahaha they look like a completely different language ahaha! Yup but for STEP you've got to be really good as there are no textbooks to learn from and so you're purely learning it from past papers and mark schemes. Also it's an unpredictable paper as anything could come up!

Unfortunately Additional further maths isn't an option in our school so I'm just taking further maths

Haha yh they're super hilarious and can actually pull out good jokes! They genuinely seem like one big happy family

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Starting a new sixth form on Monday and am very excited

What subjects are you planning to take?

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History (although History might be to AS only)

Your favourite subjects?

Favourite subject is Maths, but it is sadly not my best subject! (That lies with English Literature, for which nothing could persuade me to continue with it :erm:) I also like Ancient Greek, but am unable to take it for A Level.

Your ideal future occupation?

I'd like to work in security: the police or the intelligence services.

ColossalAtom - please tag me in the Cambridge bit! My dream is to go for (Biological) Natural Sciences :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    - Introduce yourself
    im Davina
    i am 16 years old
    i live in london

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    i play for a girls football team and i enjoy a wide range of sports
    i love tv programs such as eastenders breaking bad prison break and orange is the new black
    i love to watch films
    i coach sports to younger children
    and i just like having fun basically

- What subjects are you planning to take?
    i am planning to take biology chemistry and re but i am also planning to take a 4th a level

- Your favourite subject(s)?
    i love all the science subjects and i love re
    during gcse i started to like maths which is a little odd cos i have always hated maths since i started it
    - Your ideal future occupation?
    somewhere in the scientific field

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpetguy)
    I'm Carpetguy. I like playing Squash. Enjoy reading too, mangaish. Anime a lil bit. Also like computers (ie coding and being geeky) - currently trying to learn Unity and Blender to make my own very game.

A Levels: Taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Physics (Pre-U). Also Italian GCSE. Want to try do some German and Chemistry on the side too. And hoping to be able to do Additional Further Maths (last 6 modules of A Level).

GCSEs: A in Short Course RS (1 UMS off A*. Going for remark defo). 10 A*s.

I lyke Physics. Career is probably engineering or physics or something entrepeneury.

Will apply Ox/Bridge, Imperial, somewhere else cool. Looking at America too (why not?).
    I got 10A*s and an A in RS too Not sure whether to get it remarked as I'm 2 UMS marks off in one paper and 3 marks off in the other.

What unis are you looking at in America? Curious...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Yeah same! At our sixth form you had to get straight As at GCSE to do 4 A Levels and I got 2 A*s and 8 As (& 1 B) so they offered it to me, but I don't want to compromise any grades for another AS level that isn't exactly necessary
    Exactly, I think 4 is probably too huge a workload anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Just got my timetable for tomorrow and I lowkey want to puke - I have every teacher I hate :-)))))))

Also look how many lessons (hour each)!!

Monday;
    Bio, Maths, Chem

Tuesday:
    Chem, Maths, Maths

Wednesday:
    Chem, Maths, Bio, Maths

Thursday:
    Maths, Chem, Lecture, Bio, Maths

Friday:
    Bio, Maths, Maths, Chem

:afraid:
    Oh my god your timetable is packed!
    I'm going to an FE college and so there is so much freedom in mine!

Monday:
    Free period, Chemistry, Lunch, Maths, Free period.

Tuesday:
    Chem, free, lunch, physics, RS

Wednesday:
    RS, free, lunch, free, physics

Thursday:
    free, maths, lunch, free, chem

Friday:
    Maths, physics, lunch, philosophy, free

I Have 8 free periods, but i'm going to fill my time!! We're allowed out of college but I'll probably stay in. 2 periods are taken up by academics academy, and I've got study plus in a couple others now. The remaining, I'll hit the gym and definitely use some for studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skhan99)
    Haha 😊 I start on Tuesday!wbu and how did u do in GCSEs?xx
    On Friday 9th

ReputationRep:
    i am bloated utopia and i make and think and read things in my free hours of the day.

i'm doing art, eng lit, sociology and photography (probs will drop photography for year 13).

art is my main education buddy. its the only subject i am completely motivated in.

i want to go on to study something creative, probably art, but maybe something fashion or graphics related. i am determined to do my foundation course at central saint martins cos the course structure is ace. then for my ba my first choice atm is csm but i'm also considering the slade, bath or for more graphics related stuff london college of communications.

career wise i wanna do freelance creative stuff. maybe do some curation/art direction. write some stuff, contribute to magazines. all else fails i'll become a secondary school art teacher and play radiohead n massive attack to year 7s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    Yeah I'm doing Level 3 Health and Social care, Geography and Sociology

I found health and social care interesting on induction day so i took it, I wonder what it's going to be like
    Ahh okay! I couldn't go to our induction day, but I want to go into nursing so that's what Uni's want! What was it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    Yh ahaha they look like a completely different language ahaha! Yup but for STEP you've got to be really good as there are no textbooks to learn from and so you're purely learning it from past papers and mark schemes. Also it's an unpredictable paper as anything could come up!

Unfortunately Additional further maths isn't an option in our school so I'm just taking further maths

Haha yh they're super hilarious and can actually pull out good jokes! They genuinely seem like one big happy family

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be \sqrt r00ting for you through your STEP process.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm Dalal and I live in London.
    My hobbies and interests probably consist of track and field running as well as blogging.
    I'm planning on taking Biology, History, English Lit and Spanish for a-level- my favourite subjects are probably Biology and History!
    I have no clear idea as to what I want to do in the future but something to do with International Relations or Human Rights Law seems fitting.

ReputationRep:
    whose ready for Monday?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I am on 6th xx
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    On Friday 9th

ReputationRep:
    I'm Tuesday!but I'm a bit nervous x
    (Original post by Real_jenn)
    whose ready for Monday?

Hope you guys all enjoy Sixth Form!

Good thing about Uni is that you get extremely long holidays. I still have a month off. *

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.