The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JKRP11
It was a drafting exercise. It was handwritten, so be warned - write fast. But it wasn't overly strenuous. Quite enjoyed it, in a perverse way

Did they conduct any interviews throughout the assessment day?
Reply 361
Anyone know if Ashurst is still holding ACs for the winter vacation scheme? I'm debating whether to apply for the summer vacation scheme directly.
Original post by deatheater4134
Did they conduct any interviews throughout the assessment day?

Second this - does anyone who has undertaken the assessment centre at BLP have any more information about it? Also received an interview invitation from Jones Day - has anyone done one there?

Thanks.
Reply 363
Original post by theCapitalist2
Second this - does anyone who has undertaken the assessment centre at BLP have any more information about it? Also received an interview invitation from Jones Day - has anyone done one there?

Thanks.

is your Jones Day invitation for summer?
Original post by grisham
is your Jones Day invitation for summer?

Winter. Applied about 1 week ago
Does anyone know what type of questions they ask for vac scheme video interviews? in particular white and case?
Weird question but how do you guys decide on whether you want to apply for a spring vacation scheme or a summer one for each specific firm? Also is it always best to apply for the vacation scheme before applying for the training contract with that same firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Winter. Applied about 1 week ago

Congrats! I applied a month ago :/

Did they request an academic reference?
Original post by giggy12s
Congrats! I applied a month ago :/

Did they request an academic reference?

Thank you! They did. 2 days later got the interview invite. Wondering if anyone has experience doing the interview, getting really nervous...
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you! They did. 2 days later got the interview invite. Wondering if anyone has experience doing the interview, getting really nervous...

When's yours?

Having the exact same feelings here eh...
Hey guys, I'm a graduate who is going to start applying to vac schemes. Do you think its too late to apply to winter schemes (seeing as most are on a rolling basis with deadlines towards the end of month)? Would my efforts be better spent on spring/summer applications?
Original post by ajrgroves
For everyone asking, BLP's assessment day is pretty much what it says on the tin. Written exercise, short role play with partner or senior lawyer, then a two on two negotiation exercise. After that you get a nice lunch with some trainees and a tour.

That's all you need to know, and to be honest that's all anyone can say about it without giving an unfair advantage.

There are no 1 to 1 interviews?
Original post by ajrgroves
No, not for the vac scheme.

Thanks for that, wish you all the best!
Original post by neal95
RPC app almost ready to go, just waiting on a response from my personal tutor as to whether i can use the details for academic reference and just got to add some open days onto the work experience sections. filled in all the competency and commercial questions. was at a Targetjobs event at the firm back in january, great office.

do you add open days to "work experience" o.O

Do you just make one single entry and list them all there?
Original post by J-SP
It's not even the end of October - a lot of firms won't have even started interviewing for the winter schemes.

Ah really? I assumed the rolling basis meant that most firms would have chosen the majority of applicants already! So firms with deadlines on the 31st of October are still within reach?
Reply 375
Original post by J-SP
It's not even the end of October - a lot of firms won't have even started interviewing for the winter schemes.

Which firms do you mean...?
Original post by J-SP
Yes - always still a possibility.

If it wasn't they would close applications earlier than the deadline.

Ah okay brilliant thanks - I was thinking of calling up and asking but I doubt they're going to tell me 'Yeh no point applying now, too late'.
Original post by Anthony I
do you add open days to "work experience" o.O

Do you just make one single entry and list them all there?

i just selected the ones i thought were the most relevant/ i learnt the most from and put them in separately, i did about 3 i think.
Anyone heard back from Allen & Overy winter scheme?
Original post by J-SP
They would close applications if all the spaces were filled.

Just apply. You have nothing to lose but a couple of hours of your time.

Yeh totally, thank you :smile:

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I was also wondering if you knew whether you can apply for a VS and a TC in the same year for most firms? I came across a couple (e.g Allen & Overy) which explicitly say you cannot, but the majority don't say anything about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending