Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my PGCE on Monday. Feeling very nervous now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaYvonne)
    I'm not sure tbh.
    I felt fine all summer and was really looking forward to it, then just started panicking like a crazy lady last night with visions of evil children throwing text books at me.

Also, I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.
    It's natural to feel nervous. Children are for the most part very good and are keen to do well. What age range and subject are you training for?

I used my commuting time for reading but for the blocks of time I was at uni I tended to do most of my work at the weekends. Things were better once I was on placement as it was nearer home. I worked in the evenings during the week and tried to have Friday nights and Saturdays off.

You will always feel like there is more you can do, but remember to take time for yourself and relax. I still sometimes feel guilty when I'm not working, but you have to remember that there is only so much you can do. I used to take lots of work home with me, but in hindsight I wish I had worked more at the schools and taken less home.

Best of luck, feel free to ask any more questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I'm starting my PGCE on Monday. Feeling very nervous now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope it goes okay! I start a week on Monday and the nerves are there for me already. Hopefully we'll all settle in soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissi86)
    I hope it goes okay! I start a week on Monday and the nerves are there for me already. Hopefully we'll all settle in soon!
    Thanks, I hope it goes ok for you too. Its FE I will be teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Thanks, I hope it goes ok for you too. Its FE I will be teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Further education?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Further education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What subject if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What subject if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    English

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realize you could do a PGCE for FE. Does it apply to languages too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realize you could do a PGCE for FE. Does it apply to languages too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know as haven't looked into that but I think so. However there might not be as much call for languages in that sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Were any of you given a reading list prior to the course starting?

ReputationRep:
    Were any of you given a reading list prior to the course starting?
    Yeah. There's about 50 books on mine!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realize you could do a PGCE for FE.
    It's not very common because it's rather limiting. A PGCE graduate can teach both years 7-11 and Sixth Form. A FE PGCE graduate can only teach Sixth Form.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. There's about 50 books on mine!
    That's harsh! I have four or five on mine. Some are expensive because computer science is such a new subject though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my second day, which marks the end of the week for us as we aren't in tomorrow (or Monday!!). I'm feeling really good about the PGCE and enjoying it a lot...still pretty overwhelmed by everything though so looking forward to spending the evening on the sofa! Aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Just finished my second day, which marks the end of the week for us as we aren't in tomorrow (or Monday!!). I'm feeling really good about the PGCE and enjoying it a lot...still pretty overwhelmed by everything though so looking forward to spending the evening on the sofa! Aha.
    Snap! Just got in from my second day and absolutely loved it!! Learnt some great techniques already and really broken down the thought processes of what kind of teacher I want to be and how I'm going to implement that. Today was a 'professional development day' tomorrow is ' subject knowledge day'. Can't wait to see what it brings! Glad you're enjoying it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    That's harsh! I have four or five on mine. Some are expensive because computer science is such a new subject though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've bought a few of the cheaper ones but the rest will just have to wait until I get there and have access to the library.

It does say on the letter that came with it that there is no 'core text' but these are the books for reading around the pgce and teaching science and then there are about 10 that are in bold that they recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    It's not very common because it's rather limiting. A PGCE graduate can teach both years 7-11 and Sixth Form. A FE PGCE graduate can only teach Sixth Form.
    You can teach within the lifelong learning sector with a FE PGCE, in fact that's what the course is geared towards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've bought a few of the cheaper ones but the rest will just have to wait until I get there and have access to the library.

It does say on the letter that came with it that there is no 'core text' but these are the books for reading around the pgce and teaching science and then there are about 10 that are in bold that they recommend.
    I personally wouldn't bother! You'll learn a lot more from other trainees/teachers than you ever will from a book. The only think they're really useful for is assignments, and that's what the library is for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure tbh.
    I felt fine all summer and was really looking forward to it, then just started panicking like a crazy lady last night with visions of evil children throwing text books at me.

Also, I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.
    Honestly, there isn't actually any solid answer to the question of how to cope with the work. It's heavy but you'll be able to deal with it once you find what works for you. I think the main steps you need to take to get the hang of it is:

1) Decide when/where you want to work. Most schools will not mind if you go home ASAP if there's no particular reason to stay as many people prefer to get themselves home (especially in winter months) and do the work in the comfort of their living room. On the other hand if you stay an hour or two every day you'll find you have little work to take home apart from silly admin stuff and can just switch off when you leave. It's up to you.

2) Prioritise like your life depends on it. At the end of Mondays, decide what actually HAS to be done tonight? Then decide what can be done at some point during the week and what is not urgent at all. If you always, always get the most urgent thing done first you'll generally be able to relax a lot more and go to bed more care-free. Do the same thing at the end of every day.

3) Decide when your free time's going to be, and be realistic. Most people would recommend Friday nights/Saturdays and if you're lucky, a lot of Sunday. Once you've set your weekly free time, stick to it at all costs and do not ever break into it unless you absolutely have to work. You really need that time and sometimes you or family/friends will have to force you to take free time. It will help a lot if you know when you should be doing it. For me, my method was to always keep a week ahead, which meant I usually had no work at weekends as my plans for the next week would be completed by Friday. I had to work solidly all week but would get my weekends.

4) Only do what you need to and don't overcomplicate. Be realistic and practical with your planning. If you find yourself planning an activity that will mean you have to make hand-made resources for 30 kids when you get home, stop and ask yourself if there's something you could do with an online resource instead.

Basically, get to know how you want to do things and you'll find your rhythm. Hope this help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.