Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Hah, me too! No need to email them now!
    I got £500, pretty much what I expected. You?
    I got the same

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I got £500 as well! I was expecting more like £250. Better amend my spreadsheet then................

ReputationRep:
    Hah, me too! No need to email them now!
    I got £500, pretty much what I expected. You?
    £3225 The stereotype that Oxford is only for rich kids is complete bull ****, their bursary is so generous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucius)
    Wow, I got £500 as well! I was expecting more like £250. Better amend my spreadsheet then................
    Where do you find it out from again? Also how does the amount Oxford gives compare to what you get from Student Finance, if that's not too rude a question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    £3225 The stereotype that Oxford is only for rich kids is complete bull ****, their bursary is so generous
    WOW! That's quite a fair amount, I'd love if I got that much! But the system's fair, and I suppose you need the money more than me. Yeah, I think a big majority of Oxford students can no longer fit that stereotype. And people always say that Oxford don't do their fair bit in helping the 'less-well off' applicants, but with a bursary like that, it's simply not true!
    (I notice that this could be taken as a stubborn, show-off attitude, like "haha, you're poor" - but it's really not. Expression doesn't transfer well on the internet!.. :/ )

ReputationRep:
    Hi (: Just wondered what all the biochemists and bio-medical scientists thought of the maths workbook summer work? I found that it was okay (if a bit long!), but the very last questions threw me off a bit! I don't know if I'm being a bit silly- my brains have definitely turned into mush over the longgg summer holiday :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    Sort of. It's a little bit more complex than Julius Caesar simply abolishing the Republic and replacing it with an empire (He was never an Emperor himself) but he was certainly a major catalyst, if not the direct cause.

I must admit I know very little about the French Revolution beyond the sort of stuff that's pretty much general knowledge. I know a little more about the Empire and Napoleon's campaigns though.
    I'm looking to do the Rev. for my Optional Subject, however. I'd like to know more!

Oh, I could never support France!
    For me, it goes England-> Ireland -> Wales -> Scotland -> South Africa.

the latter simply because of District 9, Nando's and Savannah Dry cider.
    Oh and there was something about Octavian becoming Augustus and being a total tyrant later on. I need to read that book about Rome by Boris again. Marvellous stuff.

Really recommend studying the Revolution, I've read a fair bit about for fun in the past year, mainly about one of the revolutionaries - Georges Danton. Awesome chap.

Ha, I know most England fans abhor the French team (and certainly vice-versa), but well, I've got French blood and heritage and I find it so funny how temperamental they are as a team, and their blue shirts are amazingly blue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    What's Clas Ohlson? Never heard of that one!

Need a couple more dresses for clubbing as well, so H and M is calling too!
    Just like H&M (see what I did thar?) Clas Ohlson is Swedish. It's a bit like IKEA, but way smaller. It's not got a lot of branches yet in the UK, I think!

I totally went crazy shopping last week. Well, not crazy. I bought about 8 things, but for me, that's crazy I've decided to give myself a week's break now... but yeah, clothes. Necessary. But Oxford has got a fair amount of clothes shops so don't forget you don't need to buy EVERYTHANG before you arrive. I'm looking forward to some oh-God-this-is-harder-than-I-ever-expected gloves come late October!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    Oh and there was something about Octavian becoming Augustus and being a total tyrant later on. I need to read that book about Rome by Boris again. Marvellous stuff.
    Amongst the historical deviations in other areas and obligatory sex scenes, Augustus's gradual posturing to power gives a wonderful excuse to watch again HBO's Rome series, where its portrayal is entertaining and surprisingly accurate (with Suetonius's 'Lives of the Caesars' at least.

BoJo's The Dream of Rome (book and two-part documentary) are both great, though their main focus is the functioning of Roman society and the parallels we may draw with contemporary Europe.

ReputationRep:
    The OOP hasn't appeared on my student finance yet.

Uhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellete)
    Amongst the historical deviations in other areas and obligatory sex scenes, Augustus's gradual posturing to power gives a wonderful excuse to watch again HBO's Rome series, where its portrayal is entertaining and surprisingly accurate (with Suetonius's 'Lives of the Caesars' at least.

BoJo's The Dream of Rome (book and two-part documentary) are both great, though their main focus is the functioning of Roman society and the parallels we may draw with contemporary Europe.
    I didn't know it was about Augustus, I'll see if I can rent it from Magdalen's DVD library soon, then. His rise to power does seem like it was made for film; was he the one who succeeded Anthony after a lot of fighting?

Yes, I liked those parallels a lot; my favourite part was his passage in which he puts the reader in the shoes of a Briton, transfixed by a Roman town, to show how the Romans made their conquered people aspire to be Roman.

ReputationRep:
    deFossard and Mellete, sorry to butt in on the Roman conversation, but I was wondering whether either of you had ever watched the BBC tv series I Claudius? It was all about the generations of Emperors between Augustus and Claudius (with Caligula in the middle) and I thought it was very well done and fascinating. As an English student, however, I am wondering how factually accurate it is. Can you help?

On another note, is anyone else hoping to get involved in student theatre? I would love to, definitely writing, but possibly acting and maybe even directing if I can pluck up enough courage and coerce enough friends!! Any other budding dramatists out there I can team up with??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattikins)
    Hi (: Just wondered what all the biochemists and bio-medical scientists thought of the maths workbook summer work? I found that it was okay (if a bit long!), but the very last questions threw me off a bit! I don't know if I'm being a bit silly- my brains have definitely turned into mush over the longgg summer holiday :')
    :hi:! At first I thought it was a joke, I mean the fractions were a bit of an insult to our knowledge! But then it got progressively later. I've finished it, but there were a few simultaneous questions, and one or two of the trig ones that I either completely didn't understand, or I just couldn't see what to do with it. The very last one... no idea. Ha, I got stuck and so went searching for my Maths notes, but I've lost them.. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    WOW! That's quite a fair amount, I'd love if I got that much! But the system's fair, and I suppose you need the money more than me. Yeah, I think a big majority of Oxford students can no longer fit that stereotype. And people always say that Oxford don't do their fair bit in helping the 'less-well off' applicants, but with a bursary like that, it's simply not true!
    (I notice that this could be taken as a stubborn, show-off attitude, like "haha, you're poor" - but it's really not. Expression doesn't transfer well on the internet!.. :/ )
    Yeah single mum and nah don't worry it didn't sound like that :p:

The only places which do a better bursary are Cambridge (£3400) and Imperial (£3500). So the best places for poorer students are actually the most elitist! :rolleyes: The media doesn't give them enough credit...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah single mum and nah don't worry it didn't sound like that :p:

The only places which do a better bursary are Cambridge (£3400) and Imperial (£3500). So the best places for poorer students are actually the most elitist! :rolleyes: The media doesn't give them enough credit...
    I know. All they look at is the percentage of private school to state school students, and then you'd expect there to be more private schooled students because they tend to be the greater percentage nationally that get the top grades. And the 'elite' universities can't do anything if the poorer students don't apply for the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abyss of Stars)
    deFossard and Mellete, sorry to butt in on the Roman conversation, but I was wondering whether either of you had ever watched the BBC tv series I Claudius? It was all about the generations of Emperors between Augustus and Claudius (with Caligula in the middle) and I thought it was very well done and fascinating. As an English student, however, I am wondering how factually accurate it is. Can you help?

On another note, is anyone else hoping to get involved in student theatre? I would love to, definitely writing, but possibly acting and maybe even directing if I can pluck up enough courage and coerce enough friends!! Any other budding dramatists out there I can team up with??
    I'm certainly looking to get involved in the drama scene

As for the I, Claudius thing, I'd say that you can never trust historical fiction or drama for total factual accuracy because the need for a good dramatic structure will always supersede the need for total factual accuracy.

I'm pretty sure Graves was consistent with his dates and such like, but characterisation and character motivation are always going to be based on a great deal of conjecture and speculation, as well as a personal reading of 'the facts'.

In my opinion, you can use the programme to get a feel for the period/the architecture/the fashions etc but for genuine historical accuracy you're always going to be better off reading narrative history.
    Don't let that get in the way of your enjoyment, though.
    I was railing at historical inaccuracies every ten minute whilst watching The Tudors but I still bloody enjoyed it...

ReputationRep:
    It really is...I get just over £4000 in the first year. We'll be richer than the 'rich kids' when we get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abyss of Stars)

I, Claudius is inspired by the work of the classical historians. They, taking after Herodotus, the father of history, liberally insert myth and mysticism where they or their patrons would have appreciated it.

Livy's Ab urbe condita, for example, mix by his own acknowledgement the traditional legends at the beginning, and supposed fact toward the end.

An example would be the circumstances of the death of Augustus. The drama portrays it as Livia's doing, to further the interests of her family and, supposedly, Rome. The accusation may be found in the Tacitus, rumors to the effect are related by Cassius Dio, though Suetonius's is silent on the matter in The Lives of the Caesars.

Again, the bloodthirsty Tacitus would have us believe that Caligula smothered the elderly Tiberius after an unexpected recovery, whereas Suetonius and others state that he died of natural causes.

As you van see, the drama sticks most closely to the Tacitean version of events. I would consider it more accurate than most dramatisations, and arguably no less accurate than any historian's interpretation of events.

Obviously not something to be cited, but you could likely find a history that agrees with any particular event. Very enjoyable and informative if you are either without Latin or are too lazy to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norbertnorbert)
    It really is...I get just over £4000 in the first year. We'll be richer than the 'rich kids' when we get there
    Awwww yyeeeeeaaaahhh :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucius)
    lool are we talking about scholarships?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.