Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonobebe)
    Manchester IS a shopping heaven, maybe not as good as London, but it is good.
    My apologies, I keep thinking this is at the manchester thread...I meant UK instead of manchester.... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    most ppl dont lug their stuff back to sg. they leave it with friends or put them in their new houses or put in storage. that way one does not have to buy a whole new set again.
    my accommodation is 40 weeks, which means i have to come back to sg. new accommodation only available which uni term starts again. i just hope i have kind friends who will help me? do u know in uk do they have like storage places for rent?

ReputationRep:
    my accommodation is 40 weeks, which means i have to come back to sg. new accommodation only available which uni term starts again. i just hope i have kind friends who will help me? do u know in uk do they have like storage places for rent?
    Hmm why don't you find an apartment to share with? then you will get a whole year of apartment hence you don't have to lug your things around. Maybe just go back for a week, and spend the rest of the holidays getting internship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofssinfoxes)
    Yeah, I concur..... buy it there! How much more expensive can it possibly be, really?

I am also dazzled by the fact that the British Council people keep saying "buy stationary, buy stationary." Really? Of all the things I can buy here to prepare myself for college, I am to buy pens???? How expensive are pens in the UK anyway?
    Pens are very expensive. Especially if you're like me and only use a certain type of ink pen.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    [QUOTE=Isaacchan;39169190]
    That is absolutely crazy!!!!! Please don't tell me you sustained yourself with a loaf of bread and a few litres of tap water a day in your room!

no. like i said. uk is cheaper than sg. however incongruous it might be

edit: i am not in london. i am in the north of england
    lol perhaps it depends on what you do. I did stay in London for a few weeks in the past.... although it certainly isn't as expensive as many people make it sound to be, it definitely wasn't as cheap as Singapore.... especially in terms of food. But I suppose that is because I avoided Chinese takeaways like a plauge, and kebabs don't work as meals.

ReputationRep:
    That is absolutely crazy!!!!! Please don't tell me you sustained yourself with a loaf of bread and a few litres of tap water a day in your room!

I truly have no idea, but they (the visa people) said a 1000 pounds per month in London, including accommodation...... I think that is on the higher end, so 50 might work out. Are you talking about London?

Yup talking about London! So I guess 50 is fine! heh heh yay!

TO all:

I guess we have to save by getting those student discounts or something.

ReputationRep:
    I am living in a house with a few people and a couple of seniors are already there. so i just moved my stuff to the storage room before I left UK. simple. however i understand tht might not be an option for you, so, yes there are many storage companies that offer this service, some targetted at students. think some of my friends paid 30 pounds or so to keep their stuff over summer.

ReputationRep:
    xxxxxxx [continued]

however it does take abit more effort to save $$$. i often dont just go to tesco, i go to the nearby pound shops to get whatever i need there that is cheaper. you'd be surprised at the disparity in prices at the big four supermarkets and the poundshops sometimes.

to lemonique: I spent less than 6,500 pounds last year. this included a one way air ticket from sg, the visa fee and all the knickknacks one has to buy when first arriving. my accom was 4,000. that worked out to be about 277 a month excl accom. I also incurred some transport costs as i had medical placements outside of the main city once a week. you WILL spend more your first year, cuz halls are normally more ex than private accom and stuff like pots, pans, duvet, winter clothing, winter shoes etc etc have to be bought.

50 a week can be done if you skip lunch and dont go out that often and share dinner with some mates. I do go out, like eating out once or twice a week (about 6 pounds each time) and enjoying the occasional pint but i dont club.

EDIT: I just saw you're catered. 50 should not be a problem in that case. assuming you are not in london and not a big spender.
    tbh I think 6500 is a just right amount! it'll come off to 13000 SGD, so approx 1000+ per month. You're living out of campus right??

I hope I can be like you and save on $$ and not spend a lot on.....clothes. ahhahaha. I see you're doing medical related stuff in the North? Medicine in Durham? HAHA just a guess.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a torture to handwrite an essay without this: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Rolling-.../dp/B000FNAYYE

That, of course, is just me
    OMG I LOVED THAT PEN. Smooth pen = "extra minutes" to write an essay
    Essays.......those horrible things with time limits. (which we would meet again) Haven't written anything in so long, my hand's going to cramp.

Yeah, get clothes...... and elsewise, you should get clothes!

I personally find it an amazing opportunity to have a shopping spree of my life (I am a guy, and that means I went little and less shopping in the last 20 years of my life than an average "person"). In fact, I have never purchased so many clothes in such a short duration time. And, I must say, I now understand why girls love it so much!

Now you know how it feels
    But usually after a shopping spree, we'll go home and cry about how broke we are yet again.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone flying on 16 Sept, 12.45PM? SQ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitelily29)
    Pens are very expensive. Especially if you're like me and only use a certain type of ink pen.
    O.O I wonder if Pilot's pen are readily available in UK. Hopefully I still can survive in UK with my budget(which I have not really worked out yet... Worse comes to worst maybe part-time jobs will come into my option(which is quite likely).

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ofssinfoxes;39169717]

lol perhaps it depends on what you do. I did stay in London for a few weeks in the past.... although it certainly isn't as expensive as many people make it sound to be, it definitely wasn't as cheap as Singapore.... especially in terms of food. But I suppose that is because I avoided Chinese takeaways like a plauge, and kebabs don't work as meals.
    well like i said, i go out for movies, pints, restaurants occasionally. however, i appreciate london housing and transport costs are expensive. out of london, cheap.

there is a reason why the eating out culture isnt as pervasive in angmohs. food bought outside is expensive no doubt. but groceries (ie eating at home) is cheaper than in sg is what i've experienced. (if u compare ntuc with tesco) my group of friends and I cook for lunch and dinner most days.

chinese takeaways arent exactly cheap as well. i hardly eat takeouts except during exam periods. too unhealthy.

then again, i am a "mai hiam buay pai" (translation: if you aren't picky, it's ok) kind of person. cost is very impt for me as i am staying here for another four years minimum. i appreciate others may not be and hence costs go up as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonique)
    OMG I LOVED THAT PEN. Smooth pen = "extra minutes" to write an essay
    Essays.......those horrible things with time limits. (which we would meet again) Haven't written anything in so long, my hand's going to cramp.

Now you know how it feels
    But usually after a shopping spree, we'll go home and cry about how broke we are yet again.
    Those pens were like heaven!(except for the smudges) I better stock up on those I guess....

Yea man! shopping spree is sweet at first and extremely bitter in the end(when you calculated how much you spent/when the bills came)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonique)
    tbh I think 6500 is a just right amount! it'll come off to 13000 SGD, so approx 1000+ per month. You're living out of campus right??

I hope I can be like you and save on $$ and not spend a lot on.....clothes. ahhahaha. I see you're doing medical related stuff in the North? Medicine in Durham? HAHA just a guess.
    6500 is comfortable. I could have spent less but really i wanna enjoy life here too and how do you enjoy if you dont spend?

add another 650 for my trips to London and Paris during winter and Brussels and Budapest during easter.

i am a guy and normally i am not too concerned about fashion... but when you see H&M and zara especially having their mega xmas and easter sales...no one can resist most of my clothes are from H&M..hehe

ReputationRep:
    Oh no. Everyone is making me extremely excited to go shopping in London.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA girls will always be girls...bring more quids then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhforever)
    HAHA girls will always be girls...bring more quids then!
    I am squealing with excitement tbh.
    You would too.

ReputationRep:
    6500 is comfortable. I could have spent less but really i wanna enjoy life here too and how do you enjoy if you dont spend?

add another 650 for my trips to London and Paris during winter and Brussels and Budapest during easter.

i am a guy and normally i am not too concerned about fashion... but when you see H&M and zara especially having their mega xmas and easter sales...no one can resist most of my clothes are from H&M..hehe
    You're another one making me excited.

The thought of heading to Europe during some breaks.

ReputationRep:
    I am living in a house with a few people and a couple of seniors are already there. so i just moved my stuff to the storage room before I left UK. simple. however i understand tht might not be an option for you, so, yes there are many storage companies that offer this service, some targetted at students. think some of my friends paid 30 pounds or so to keep their stuff over summer.
    do u know the company name of the storage companies u mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    anyone been to milan? do they have cheap hostels where u can stay for about 5 to 7 days?
    how much does it cost for about a week (living expenses)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.