Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurieHarris)
    I want to study Economics at university, but I can’t choose between universities. I’m definitely applying to Cambridge, but I need to choose 4 more options (I currently have 5 more). They are: Warwick, Bath, Bristol, LSE, UCL. How would you rank these (it would be great if you could put them in order from ‘best’ to ‘worst’) based on your opinion on a mix of: how much choice/option you have in the course, how pretty the university/city is, and how much fun the university life is. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
    LSE
    UCL/Warwick (I would pick UCL over Warwick due to location - Warwick is in Coventry/middle of nowhere. In terms of options I don't know, but I've heard that social life in Warwick is **** and London's London)
    Bristol/Bath (idk sorry - seems as if Bristol has better rep for econ)

Definitely visit them to see for yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    I think the OP who's applying should spread the risk!All of those are A*AA universities!
    If you're aiming high, it's fine, especially if you're capable. I applied to three of those unis, and Bristol offers AAA courses for joint honours, which is what I and many others did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    If you're aiming high, it's fine, especially if you're capable. I applied to three of those unis, and Bristol offers AAA courses for joint honours, which is what I and many others did.
    Was just saying
    I did the same too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardude8)
    Maybe, but some people do apply to A*AA courses only(I did as well) - I guess this might make more sense because economics is quite a competitive course, so offers may be higher in econ than for other subjects(?).

Depends on your objectives too- if you want to guarantee that you get into university, then you go for some unis with lower offer grades to spread risk as you rightly say. But if you want to go all out and would be happy being rejected by all 5 and doing something else the year after/ would reapply to those same unis, then I think it's ok. But each to their own
    I applied for all A*AA unis and it worked out fine. The key is you have to know you can acheive it. For me i did A-level maths in AS so applying i knew i had an A* which meant there was no point in applying to a AAA uni. Remeber howeer that a2 is harder than AS but if ur teachersare honestly predicting u a*'s then you should be fine and as you say if not get into somewhere decent on clearing like birmingham (for this year) or just reapply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurieHarris)
    I want to study Economics at university, but I can’t choose between universities. I’m definitely applying to Cambridge, but I need to choose 4 more options (I currently have 5 more). They are: Warwick, Bath, Bristol, LSE, UCL. How would you rank these (it would be great if you could put them in order from ‘best’ to ‘worst’) based on your opinion on a mix of: how much choice/option you have in the course, how pretty the university/city is, and how much fun the university life is. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
    LSE
    Warwick
    UCl
    Bristol
    Bath

Tbh they are all very good but generally thats the order as seen on uni rankings and by employers. Most who apply to cambridge also apply to LSE and warwick just as a note so read from that whatever u want Good luck with ur application.

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think about the other Economics course at LSE?The AAB one!How would you rate it?

ReputationRep:
    1. I am still in a state of shock after receiving my AS results yesterday and my head is 'muddled' - can't think straight. So please would you help? I want to study Economics at a a good uni.
      Here are my marks - (I am thinking of getting some of the Maths modules re-marked)

Econ - Micro: 98 Macro: 100
      Maths - C1: 91 C2: 98 C3: 97
      FM - FP1: 86 M1: 80 M3: 66 (shocker - mechanics!)
      French - 92
      So my averages: Econ 99% Maths 95.3% FM 77.3% Fren 92.3%
      (A) (A) (B) (A)

I had at one point hoped to apply to Cambridge but that appears to have been blown away. Do I have any chance at all in places like LSE or UCL or Warwick with my rather 'poor' showing (B grade) in Further Maths? Will they even consider me? What are my realistic options?
    2. I would be most grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

(btw: I had 10 A* at gcse) - feel shattered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novatech)
    1. I am still in a state of shock after receiving my AS results yesterday and my head is 'muddled' - can't think straight. So please would you help? I want to study Economics at a a good uni.
      Here are my marks - (I am thinking of getting some of the Maths modules re-marked)

Econ - Micro: 98 Macro: 100
      Maths - C1: 91 C2: 98 C3: 97
      FM - FP1: 86 M1: 80 M3: 66 (shocker - mechanics!)
      French - 92
      So my averages: Econ 99% Maths 95.3% FM 77.3% Fren 92.3%
      (A) (A) (B) (A)

I had at one point hoped to apply to Cambridge but that appears to have been blown away. Do I have any chance at all in places like LSE or UCL or Warwick with my rather 'poor' showing (B grade) in Further Maths? Will they even consider me? What are my realistic options?
    2. I would be most grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

(btw: I had 10 A* at gcse) - feel shattered!
    LSE may be a stretch, but Oxford is still an option, the B in FM won't kill your application. You only need to make sure you do well at the TSA to be in for the interview, your grades are fine.
    Both Warwick and UCL are very realistic too. However, to do this, I would advise keeping all 4 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    LSE may be a stretch, but Oxford is still an option, the B in FM won't kill your application. You only need to make sure you do well at the TSA to be in for the interview, your grades are fine.
    Both Warwick and UCL are very realistic too. However, to do this, I would advise keeping all 4 subjects.
    Thank you for your advice. Very kind of you to respond I am not v keen on Oxford though...

I intend to carry on all 4 to A2 to keep UCL, Warwick (and who knows maybe even LSE!) open.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novatech)
    Thank you for your advice. Very kind of you to respond I am not v keen on Oxford though...

I intend to carry on all 4 to A2 to keep UCL, Warwick (and who knows maybe even LSE!) open.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome
    LSE is a stretch, yes, but by no means impossible.
    I got AAAB at AS and still got an offer from Warwick, so it's not all that uncommon.

(Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    x
    Hey, how was results day for you?

ReputationRep:
    Made it into LSE finally although not really making my offer I need A*AA at first with A in physics and economics. Somehow ending up with A*A*A* B with the b in physics still manage to get in haha. How did everyone do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aso816)
    Made it into LSE finally although not really making my offer I need A*AA at first with A in physics and economics. Somehow ending up with A*A*A* B with the b in physics still manage to get in haha. How did everyone do
    Yeah, going to Warwick, A*A*A*C (Physics screwed me over too, lol)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, going to Warwick, A*A*A*C (Physics screwed me over too, lol)
    Yaay OCR complete f me unit AQA economics seems to like me lol

ReputationRep:
    Yaay OCR complete f me unit AQA economics seems to like me lol
    Lol, did you do OCR B physics? That exam board just doesn't play well with me.
    I was happy with AQA this year, nice easy A* for Econ :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i got in to LSE too congrats on your results

ReputationRep:
    Lol, did you do OCR B physics? That exam board just doesn't play well with me.
    I was happy with AQA this year, nice easy A* for Econ :cool:
    OCR A lol yeah 100 for ECON4 get in

ReputationRep:
    OCR A lol yeah 100 for ECON4 get in
    Lol,same. Quite a few people in my year got 100 in ECON4. That was the one I thought I'd messed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellyfish96)
    i got in to LSE too congrats on your results
    Cheers and you how did you do

ReputationRep:
    Anyone get into bath?

ReputationRep:
    Missed out on my UCL offer by a single UMS after getting 89 in C3 and 90 in C4. Sent them both in for remarking so does anyone have any good experiences with remarks or shall I just lose hope

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.