Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    ^completely right about the non-funded courses, they said it was an option they were looking into doing so they must be trailing it - tbh I would be so peeved if I had to self fund while everyone else was paid for.

I dunno about the interview tho, they said it was because it was the first year dmu would allow them too interview or something like that or they'd had a lot of drop outs and wanted to ensure they got the right people. Don't quote me on that one.
    Ah thanks! I was sure I remembered something being said. I get why they want to try and do it, but I'd definitely be annoyed if like 99% of my fellow students were NHS funded!!

Also, I don't think I congratulated you on getting into DMU - so (very) belated congrats!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Sorry I've been away for so long! Just had a read through and caught up on everyone's news, so congrats to all of you who have had your places confirmed!

Also just want to wish everyone waiting on their A Level results today all the luck in the world! Hope you get the grades you deserve!

I've been lucky enough to have my place at marjon confirmed as passed my access course, so to anyone coming to marjon I can't wait to meet you all next month! In the meantime there is a Facebook group Marjon SLT 2015 https://m.facebook.com/groups/418997...?ref=bookmarks which you are more then welcome to join 😀

Good luck again everyone! Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimair)
    Ah thanks! I was sure I remembered something being said. I get why they want to try and do it, but I'd definitely be annoyed if like 99% of my fellow students were NHS funded!!

Also, I don't think I congratulated you on getting into DMU - so (very) belated congrats!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd be mortified if I had to pay, having said that if it was my only choice I think I would accept it!

Ahhhhh thanks! I'm well excited now! Where you off too again, was it Marjon and did you get your results today? X

ReputationRep:
    Someone on my course didn't get in, we had a little chat going and she's just left - sad times :,(

Must be really depressing :-/

ReputationRep:
    I know from working in a university that lots of clinical courses are considering 'non-commissioned routes' to attract international students (where they could not recruit them previously) as well as more home students. Universities are in a rather precarious situation as far as NHS funding is concerned and there is clearly a demand for places and a capacity to provide them which is not linked to how much funding the NHS provide. (My previous experience is with clinical psychology and they had hundreds of applications but only 14 places per year). I know at my university the number of places has steadily decreased over the last couple of years despite the fact need for services has increased. Clearly universities have different agendas to the NHS.

Having said all that, I think universities themselves could be better at screening out weak applicants and provide much better support to stop people dropping out in the first place. Lots of these courses run students into the ground so it is not surprise when they drop out or cannot afford to continue studying.

Good luck everyone today with their results!

ReputationRep:
    Someone on my course didn't get in, we had a little chat going and she's just left - sad times :,(

Must be really depressing :-/
    When I applied the first time round in 2009, I had met 3 other girls who had applied to DMU, and one of them didn't get in. She wasn't that upset though as she ultimately wanted to be a drama therapist, and she took the speech and language aspect of the course literally (a bit like in the 'Royal Central School of Speech and Drama').

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm an AS student going onto A2 in September, I didn't do very well in my AS as I got 2 C's, a B and a Distinction*. Just wondering which uni accept retakes for SaLT as I did not do very well in my unit 2s. Also, do you think it is still possible to get the grades for SaLT with what I achieved in AS. Thank you very much in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'd be mortified if I had to pay, having said that if it was my only choice I think I would accept it!

Ahhhhh thanks! I'm well excited now! Where you off too again, was it Marjon and did you get your results today? X
    I bet! I did, and yep, off to Marjon in September!!!! Don't think it's quite sunk in yet, although it is kind of starting to feel real! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agnescalay)
    Hello I'm an AS student going onto A2 in September, I didn't do very well in my AS as I got 2 C's, a B and a Distinction*. Just wondering which uni accept retakes for SaLT as I did not do very well in my unit 2s. Also, do you think it is still possible to get the grades for SaLT with what I achieved in AS. Thank you very much in advance
    Hi Agnes. My AS' didn't go too well last year (ACCD), but today I managed to get into my 1st choice uni with AACd (initially needing ABB). To answer your question, you can definitely still get the grades for SLT! Now that you've sat your AS exams, you're more than likely more aware of the GCSE-A Level 'jump'.

After last year's results, I definitely felt the same as you. I ended up resitting the whole of my AS RS course and 1 Lit module, and none of the unis that I applied to seemed to be against it. My firm (Marjon) seemed happy enough as long as I managed ABB (or equivalent) by A2 results day.

You might do this already, so ignore me if you do, but one thing I found handy this year was reading over/making/organising my notes every night from September. This meant that I was organised, got into a great routine, and actually quite enjoyed revision after a while!

Anyway, good luck with your A2s! I'm sure you'll ace them!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=madagascar;58419607]

I've been lucky enough to have my place at marjon confirmed as passed my access course, so to anyone coming to marjon I can't wait to meet you all next month!

Congratulations on passing the Access course - I know it was a great feeling when I got my results too, but a bit strange at the same time as it was at such a different time to the A levels.

Good luck at Marjon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsrev)

Congratulations on passing the Access course - I know it was a great feeling when I got my results too, but a bit strange at the same time as it was at such a different time to the A levels.

Good luck at Marjon
    Aw thank you

Good Luck to you too!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    Aw thank you

Good Luck to you too!! x
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Is City's SLT course weak? I was surprised to find it in clearing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woro)
    Is City's SLT course weak? I was surprised to find it in clearing!
    It is often in clearing (has been for the last 2 years at least). I think it is one of the larger courses and it did have the highest entry grades of any SLT course at A*AA though I note that the grades appear to have been lowered. Don't think its a "weak" course though - is there any such thing for SLT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhimair)
    I bet! I did, and yep, off to Marjon in September!!!! Don't think it's quite sunk in yet, although it is kind of starting to feel real! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did your results go? You must have bossed it! Yeah it took a couple of days to become real to me, it's still not quite real yet! I just want to get going

(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    When I applied the first time round in 2009, I had met 3 other girls who had applied to DMU, and one of them didn't get in. She wasn't that upset though as she ultimately wanted to be a drama therapist, and she took the speech and language aspect of the course literally (a bit like in the 'Royal Central School of Speech and Drama'.
    Ah fair enough! No she got CCC so her insurance has got her on hold and are waiting to make a decision, something I couldn't imagine! I missed my firm when I applied to uni the first time so I kinda get it and I was mortified! But each to their own I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    It is often in clearing (has been for the last 2 years at least). I think it is one of the larger courses and it did have the highest entry grades of any SLT course at A*AA though I note that the grades appear to have been lowered. Don't think its a "weak" course though - is there any such thing for SLT?
    So it's not a popular choice with students due to the high entry requirements?
    Yeah I get that all the SLT courses have to meet a certain standard but I meant relatively weak in comparison to other SLT courses.. Now that you've explained it though, maybe it makes sense to be in clearing if it's a large course and they're selective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woro)
    So it's not a popular choice with students due to the high entry requirements?
    Yeah I get that all the SLT courses have to meet a certain standard but I meant relatively weak in comparison to other SLT courses.. Now that you've explained it though, maybe it makes sense to be in clearing if it's a large course and they're selective.
    I have just finished my first year of SLT and it seemed a popular choice when I was applying though I think the high grade requirements put some off but it also didn't interview so was attractive in other ways maybe? Personally would have considered it as its London - too far from home for me.

People who study there seem very impressed from posts in earlier year threads etc and its popular for the postgrad option too.

Seems to me that there are trends each year - for instance Marjon Birmingham and DMU seem very popular this year whereas last year Manchester Sheffield Leeds Newcastle were ahead - oh and Reading too.

Are you looking for a clearing place or do you have an offer?

ReputationRep:
    How did your results go? You must have bossed it! Yeah it took a couple of days to become real to me, it's still not quite real yet! I just want to get
    I'm pretty happy - AAC and a D in AS Biology (but we don't talk about that !!!)

I can't wait to start either! I know it's going to be a challenge, but this is definitely what I want to do, so I"m up for it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    I have just finished my first year of SLT and it seemed a popular choice when I was applying though I think the high grade requirements put some off but it also didn't interview so was attractive in other ways maybe? Personally would have considered it as its London - too far from home for me.

People who study there seem very impressed from posts in earlier year threads etc and its popular for the postgrad option too.

Seems to me that there are trends each year - for instance Marjon Birmingham and DMU seem very popular this year whereas last year Manchester Sheffield Leeds Newcastle were ahead - oh and Reading too.

Are you looking for a clearing place or do you have an offer?
    I actually firmed City, they offered me AAB and I missed it but I got lucky and I'm in They did interview this year though. I was kind of getting worried when I saw it in clearing and didn't really find lots of people talking about it, but glad to hear that people were impressed previously.

Initially I had my eyes set on Newcastle and got a conditional offer, but had to reject them as my parents weren't too keen (same reason as you with London, 'too far'). Either way I wouldn't have met the offer so maybe it's a good thing, but every one seems to really love it this year and it's number one on the rankings so I couldn't help but wonder 'what if?' you know..

Just glad in the end to have made the course (at any uni) and can't wait to start. I get to study what I want and that's the important bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woro)
    I actually firmed City, they offered me AAB and I missed it but I got lucky and I'm in They did interview this year though. I was kind of getting worried when I saw it in clearing and didn't really find lots of people talking about it, but glad to hear that people were impressed previously.

Initially I had my eyes set on Newcastle and got a conditional offer, but had to reject them as my parents weren't too keen (same reason as you with London, 'too far'. Either way I wouldn't have met the offer so maybe it's a good thing, but every one seems to really love it this year and it's number one on the rankings so I couldn't help but wonder 'what if?' you know..

Just glad in the end to have made the course (at any uni) and can't wait to start. I get to study what I want and that's the important bit
    Pleased to hear its all worked out for you and hope you enjoy the course. Can't believe where 12 months has gone and that I will be heading into year 2 in September - time just flies

All the best

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.