Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi i got 540 in my verbal which i'm disappointed about but my average is 690 (790 AR and 740 QR). What universities will i have a chance at interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic99)
    hi i got 540 in my verbal which i'm disappointed about but my average is 690 (790 AR and 740 QR). What universities will i have a chance at interview?
    Hi, I have my UKCAT tomorrow and I was wondering what resources were the most representative of each section?

Also, you stand a chance at many - I suggest avoiding Southampton as they are very UKCAT heavy, and possibly Kings although they have interviews candidates with lower scores that you. It depends on your stats in other areas of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVocalSardine)
    Hi,

First things first, what scores are you getting in your mocks? Like I said, most of my mocks were worse than my actual score - I reckon that the actual scoring system is more kind than it is for any mock.

Second thing, what techniques are you using for QR and VR?

Third thing, please don't worry about it! In the unlikely event that your score isn't brilliant, it's not the end of the world - you can always just apply to non-ukcat heavy unis, have another go next year or do BMAT
    MY EXAM IS ON THE 6TH and have been getting 450 in VR and 570 on QR, do you have any tips? i am literally on the verge of a breakdown

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First things first, what scores are you getting in your mocks? Like I said, most of my mocks were worse than my actual score - I reckon that the actual scoring system is more kind than it is for any mock.

Second thing, what techniques are you using for QR and VR?

Third thing, please don't worry about it! In the unlikely event that your score isn't brilliant, it's not the end of the world - you can always just apply to non-ukcat heavy unis, have another go next year or do BMAT

I'm getting around 430-600 in VR and QR (I know... more than rubbish)
    techniques I'm using: for VR...I read the questions first and look for keywords... if I don't find any I go through the text one more time... if that doesn't work I select 'Can't tell' or select a random answer that probably makes sense and move on... I always reach just 15-17 questions when I have only 10 mins left

for QR: I look at the question; if I know I'm probably gonna take ages answering I answer randomly and move on... if I know I can answer quickly I do.... but time with QR is even tighter that VR.... I'm generally attempting to answer like 80% of the questions but even though I do that I get like half of them wrong...

(I heard in the real thing in past years the VR is harder (longer texts) but QR and AR are easier than e.g. medify... is that right for this year?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemunch12)
    How long did it take you to finish the book and how long did you spend practicing on Medify? And dont worry too much, everyone says the UKCAT is much easier on the day. Good luck!
    It took me like 6 weeks to finish the book and signed up for 4 weeks on medify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Hi, I have my UKCAT tomorrow and I was wondering what resources were the most representative of each section?

Also, you stand a chance at many - I suggest avoiding Southampton as they are very UKCAT heavy, and possibly Kings although they have interviews candidates with lower scores that you. It depends on your stats in other areas of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    okay so for verbal I used medify and sometimes did really well and sometimes didn't. it really does depend on the day and how nervous you are as its the only section which requires you to take in a lot of information TOO quickly. i suggest learn how to search for KEYWORDS. if you can't find any within the first 20 seconds: GUESS FLAG & MOVE ON.
    quantitative: MEDIFY is good but medify is a bit harder than the real thing for me, i was getting max 600. don't worry about this section at all just get used to % changes and means and MORE IMPORTANTLY be comfortable with the numlock calculator on a keyboard not laptop keyboard though.
    Abstract for me was my best section (790) but honestly i wanted to do better because i know abstract is my strength and verbal my weakness. nonetheless i did well though i got ALOT of type 4 questions and some hard partial patterns which made me panic and waste time. Medify for abstract is amazing and for me very representative. it is like a lucky draw however as we all get different questions.
    Hope this helps.
    Also i was wondering that i really want to apply to kings but i hope i'm not being too unrealistic with my ukcat? i have 9a*s 2as gcses and 3a's (chem bio maths) in as level. my gcses are good but ukcat verbal 540 and band 2 is, i feel holding me back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_machine)
    MY EXAM IS ON THE 6TH and have been getting 450 in VR and 570 on QR, do you have any tips? i am literally on the verge of a breakdown
    High five me... same here
    my exam is on the 6th too... and am getting the same scores you're getting... all I can do though is do more practice tests and practice questions and go to the exam hoping for the best

I found this website... might help...
    http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/me...2-3d5a3692550f

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Last year's cut off points for all med schools. They probably won't change significantly so look at the ones you can apply to and rule out the UKCAT heavy ones Attachment 577786

Posted from TSR Mobile
    this table is literally a god send, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting 400s in mocks! My exam is tomorrow! Someone help lift my spirits! I'm going insane!!! SO MISERABLE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by &Hope)
    I'm getting around 430-600 in VR and QR (I know... more than rubbish)
    techniques I'm using: for VR...I read the questions first and look for keywords... if I don't find any I go through the text one more time... if that doesn't work I select 'Can't tell' or select a random answer that probably makes sense and move on... I always reach just 15-17 questions when I have only 10 mins left

for QR: I look at the question; if I know I'm probably gonna take ages answering I answer randomly and move on... if I know I can answer quickly I do.... but time with QR is even tighter that VR.... I'm generally attempting to answer like 80% of the questions but even though I do that I get like half of them wrong...

(I heard in the real thing in past years the VR is harder (longer texts) but QR and AR are easier than e.g. medify... is that right for this year?)
    What I did for VR was the keyword method for T/F/CT questions and for the comprehension questions if the question had a keyword in it, otherwise I would read the text. For me this was the only way I could do it. I did the same for QR.

Compared to medify, I'd say AR was easier, VR was slightly easier and QR was about the same, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    I'm getting 400s in mocks! My exam is tomorrow! Someone help lift my spirits! I'm going insane!!! SO MISERABLE
    Which mocks are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    please don't worry. I was getting at max 550 in my best section (AR) but in the real thing got 790. seriously don't stress, i did and i regret it massively as a negative mindset makes you do bad. YOU WILL SMASH IT AND IT WILL BE OVER AND DONE WITH. I get so angry at how unrealistic the mocks are graded and they do this on purpose so when you get a better score in the real thing, they can make you think their website helped if that makes sense. just keep practicing and for the love of the lord forget the scores they are FAKE.

ReputationRep:
    please don't worry. I was getting at max 550 in my best section (AR) but in the real thing got 790. seriously don't stress, i did and i regret it massively as a negative mindset makes you do bad. YOU WILL SMASH IT AND IT WILL BE OVER AND DONE WITH. I get so angry at how unrealistic the mocks are graded and they do this on purpose so when you get a better score in the real thing, they can make you think their website helped if that makes sense. just keep practicing and for the love of the lord forget the scores they are FAKE.
    My exam is also tomorrow. How did you cope with long VR passages and are the Medify Mocks representative at all? Did you get QR questions with no tables/graphs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What I did for VR was the keyword method for T/F/CT questions and for the comprehension questions if the question had a keyword in it, otherwise I would read the text. For me this was the only way I could do it. I did the same for QR.

Compared to medify, I'd say AR was easier, VR was slightly easier and QR was about the same, in my opinion.
    oh ok.... out of curiosity: do we all get the same version of the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by &Hope)
    oh ok.... out of curiosity: do we all get the same version of the exam?
    I don't think so. I would imagine they mix them up.

ReputationRep:
    okay so for verbal I used medify and sometimes did really well and sometimes didn't. it really does depend on the day and how nervous you are as its the only section which requires you to take in a lot of information TOO quickly. i suggest learn how to search for KEYWORDS. if you can't find any within the first 20 seconds: GUESS FLAG & MOVE ON.
    quantitative: MEDIFY is good but medify is a bit harder than the real thing for me, i was getting max 600. don't worry about this section at all just get used to % changes and means and MORE IMPORTANTLY be comfortable with the numlock calculator on a keyboard not laptop keyboard though.
    Abstract for me was my best section (790) but honestly i wanted to do better because i know abstract is my strength and verbal my weakness. nonetheless i did well though i got ALOT of type 4 questions and some hard partial patterns which made me panic and waste time. Medify for abstract is amazing and for me very representative. it is like a lucky draw however as we all get different questions.
    Hope this helps.
    Also i was wondering that i really want to apply to kings but i hope i'm not being too unrealistic with my ukcat? i have 9a*s 2as gcses and 3a's (chem bio maths) in as level. my gcses are good but ukcat verbal 540 and band 2 is, i feel holding me back?
    I definitely say go for it when it comes to applying for Kings if you really want to go there. You have incredible stats, and having known people get an interview with less than 690, you should be able to get one since your application is very strong with your other stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My exam is also tomorrow. How did you cope with long VR passages and are the Medify Mocks representative at all? Did you get QR questions with no tables/graphs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    These questions are asked every single day. Read previous posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I sat my ukcat and didn't do too well:
    VR:580
    QR:740
    AR:580 average: 633.33

Any advice on where I should try applying, I know where to avoid but which uni's would i have the best chance of getting into.
    GCSE's: 5A*, 4A

ReputationRep:
    Which mocks are you doing?
    100Qs

Medify

and Official ones

On Medify I got 595 as my highest score.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    verbal was by far my weakest (as with almost everyone). I looked at the question first and took keywords and searched for them. within 20 seconds if i couldn't find any i would GUESS FLAG MOVE ON. You are not expected to attempt all so don't worry about trying to complete them all that would simply be impossible.

For me roughly 90% of questions were 'which statement is the author most likely to agree/disagree/least agree with' etc. these for me are the hardest so practice these as the true/false/can't tell questions - majority of people can do. Medify is representative, that said you simply need to practice reading&interpreting fast and searching for keywords in the stem of the statements quickly (which is hard). The key is to not dwell on a question so move on and don't get caught up on it (mistake i made)

Yes for QR i did get tables/graphs (one hard graph with both line and bar chart on one and 2 different y axis). other than a few the majority were fairly easy data, the trick is to read the question then look for what you need, never read extra info due to time constraint.

Hope this helps. stay calm and get a good nights sleep for tomorrow and think it will be soon over and done with!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.