Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know there was another Arsenal team, 6th place finish in the Argentinean league

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Higuain got a red card after 25 minutes in the Argentina match lol. Kicked out at an opponent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Didn't know there was another Arsenal team, 6th place finish in the Argentinean league

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I knew them only from FM. We're slightly better though

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a goer anyway but while I'm not disputing Rooney is a good player, I can't see him fitting in here. Wenger likes his players to have have intelligence and be able to work things out for themselves, it's fairly well documented that Rooney isn't exactly that kinda guy. When he goes on his annual Big Mac bender, is Wenger the right manager to pull him out of it? I'd say the person best equipped to do that would be Ferguson and even he struggled. For all his talent, his lifestyle and personality would make him a big risk, both financially and in terms of team harmony. The people that know him best are United, if they are willing to sell to us is that a deal we want to take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    I don't think it's a goer anyway but while I'm not disputing Rooney is a good player, I can't see him fitting in here. Wenger likes his players to have have intelligence and be able to work things out for themselves, it's fairly well documented that Rooney isn't exactly that kinda guy. When he goes on his annual Big Mac bender, is Wenger the right manager to pull him out of it? I'd say the person best equipped to do that would be Ferguson and even he struggled. For all his talent, his lifestyle and personality would make him a big risk, both financially and in terms of team harmony. The people that know him best are United, if they are willing to sell to us is that a deal we want to take?
    He can be such a player that perhaps Wenger is willing to take the gamble. A player of his calibre available to Arsenal these days is rare.

ReputationRep:
    we are not going to pay Rooney 250k ffs, 0% chance of us signing him.

very excited about higuain though, would be an unbelievable signing.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, when will Arsenal learn that whenever Man Utd are prepared to sell us a player, they are certain that player will greatly underachieve? It's as if we've already forgotten about the Silvestre situation.

My policy will always be if Ferguson can't control a player, there's no way Wenger will. For all his talents as a manger, Wenger struggles with keeping club discipline and being ruthless. He prefers instead to pamper the players and make them feel special.

That said Wenger has improved in this regard this season. Both Szczesny and Vermaelen were dropped when they were consistently under performing and Song was out the door the minute he decided to get 'too big for his boots'. Ordinarily it would take the whole season before Wenger considered dropping these players (Re: Ramsey last season Arshavin in seasons past).

So though Wenger is becoming stricter which I like very much, I still don't think he's ready for a Rooney, Tevez, Ballotelli type player with good ability but a pain in the neck. Even if these glaring problems were not present with Rooney, I still wouldn't want him. Call me old-fashioned but I simply do not want a Man Utd player playing for us irrespective of how good they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    I know you joke a lot but I can't tell right now, I'm gonna assume you're joking haha... He's decent though.
    If we bought Ross Barkley for the CAM position I would be satisfied

ReputationRep:
    I saw this on Twitter this made me giggle:

2011 William Gallas: "Arsenal lost a gem when they let me go and now Spurs will become better." 2013 Released.

ReputationRep:
    I really feel we need to buy more creative players tbh. Yes we certainly could do with a strong DM to protect our back four but I generally worry about our ability to break down defensive teams. The go to route of putting men behind the ball seems so effective against us it's untrue. Carzola was a big improvement to our squad as is the emergence of the Rosicky of old. Wilshere also adds some creativity but is too often far too deep to make that 'killer ball'. Also Ramsey has some creative talent but again he sits far too deep and when he's pushed forward, he becomes ineffective. Ramsey plays best from deep so again little creativity.

A creative forward would be ideal but I'm really not too fussed. Just need another creative player especially if we end up buying a goalscorer like Higuain.

ReputationRep:
    If we can build a team around Wilshere, Cazorla and Higuain we will be in a very good position.

Players like Podolski and Walcott will more than certainly provide us with 15 goals each per season on the wings, which will makes us a team that can gun down teams quickly.

Higuain is the key this summer. A low risk, high quality player in the prime of his career. I hope Wenger doesn't **** this one up.

Rooney would be phenomenal under a Mourinho type manager. Under Wenger it would be a recipe for disaster, and the wages would be a killer. However it must be noted, I reckon United want to keep Rooney but they are scared about his precarious contract situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    If we can build a team around Wilshere, Cazorla and Higuain we will be in a very good position.

Players like Podolski and Walcott will more than certainly provide us with 15 goals each per season on the wings, which will makes us a team that can gun down teams quickly.

Higuain is the key this summer. A low risk, high quality player in the prime of his career. I hope Wnger doesn't **** this one up.
    Padolski is not a winger and theo will cry like a girl if he doesn't get played as a striker next season Dislike them both but I certainly dont see padolski in our future plans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Padolski is not a winger and theo will cry like a girl if he doesn't get played as a striker next season Dislike them both but I certainly dont see padolski in our future plans
    Kind of agree, we don't have much talent on the wings. Walcott wants to play centrally and isn't a great winger, Podolski can provide goals but again wants to play centrally and isn't very creative, AOC isn't ready and the full backs aren't good enough going forwards.

ReputationRep:
    What? Have you not watched Rooney. His football brain is one of the best in the world, his movement, link up play, positioning, concentration, determination, inquisitive passes are amongst the best in the world. Rooney isn't currently enjoying his football at united and its effect his play. He needs to be made to feel important and valued. Wenger will give show faith in Rooney and Rooney would pay it back. If we sign Rooney it would be better than signing Jovetic and Higuain combined plus it would make more of a statement to the rest of the PL

ReputationRep:
    Higuain is perfect, prefer him to Jovetic. Only 25, amazing finishing and experienced at the very top level of football with world class players. If there's one thing we have been missing since RVP, it's a reliable ST to take full advantage of all the chances created by Jack and Santi.

If we do sign him I just hope he adapts quickly to the PL like Santi did.

My dream signings for this summer: Cesc, Higuain, Fellaini and a quality CB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    What? Have you not watched Rooney. His football brain is one of the best in the world, his movement, link up play, positioning, concentration, determination, inquisitive passes are amongst the best in the world. Rooney isn't currently enjoying his football at united and its effect his play. He needs to be made to feel important and valued. Wenger will give show faith in Rooney and Rooney would pay it back. If we sign Rooney it would be better than signing Jovetic and Higuain combined plus it would make more of a statement to the rest of the PL
    Even with all the money in the bank, we can't afford Rooney's wages. He is overpaid and overrated, and Wenger avoids these players unless he can get a bargain. Wenger has a philosophy, and he will always stick to his principles. The only way we'll get Rooney is if he's willing to take a pay cut.

Anyway, rumours are that Chelski want him too, and we all know what that means.

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel Roony will be a better buy. Sure Higuain is younger, but it's clear he'll just use us as a stepping stone to go to another bigger club in the future like Bayern. And sometimes the way we create chances.. is just... soo predictable. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    I personally feel Roony will be a better buy. Sure Higuain is younger, but it's clear he'll just use us as a stepping stone to go to another bigger club in the future like Bayern.
    The club can't think like that though as they have to believe they can reach the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boner in joggers)
    The club can't think like that though as they have to believe they can reach the top.
    This is true! and I definitely agree, however Arsenal as a PLC, just don't seem to be interested in competing/reaching for the top. In terms of money and balances, we're always high-flying.. but on the football ground.. we're just not the same :/

Even our 2008 squad would rip this one to shreds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    I personally feel Roony will be a better buy. Sure Higuain is younger, but it's clear he'll just use us as a stepping stone to go to another bigger club in the future like Bayern. And sometimes the way we create chances.. is just... soo predictable. :/
    Higuain using Arsenal as a stepping stone. WTF are you on about?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.