Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaishiva)
    Floyer House mixed accommodation any good guys??
    it's where I am, so let's hope so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnellM)
    I applied for Mile End because of the ensuites & the diversity of subjects I'd be able to interact with, but ended up with Floyer House (Whitechapel) and am pretty happy with it - ultimately it's only for a year and both halls are only half an hour away, so whichever one you pick, it probably won't make too much of a difference!
    Being at Whitechapel will (hopefully!) mean getting away with getting out of bed later too!

For all those who haven't found it yet, here is the reading list : http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...ion/111400.pdf

I only bought the first 2 books, and there is an error: you should buy the SEVENTH edition of the first book, not the SIXTH (although ultimately it doesn't matter too much - I checked this with Bart's!)

Additionally, you may find it cheaper to get these books off of Amazon - the first two books in the bundle cost £75 from their recommended retailer, but I was able to get the books from Amazon for £43

Did you get both books brand new or are they used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    Did you get both books brand new or are they used?

• brand new
      although I imagine the used ones would be just as good - might even include some useful notes in them!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Mile End because of the ensuites & the diversity of subjects I'd be able to interact with, but ended up with Floyer House (Whitechapel) and am pretty happy with it - ultimately it's only for a year and both halls are only half an hour away, so whichever one you pick, it probably won't make too much of a difference!
    Being at Whitechapel will (hopefully!) mean getting away with getting out of bed later too!

For all those who haven't found it yet, here is the reading list : http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...ion/111400.pdf

I only bought the first 2 books, and there is an error: you should buy the SEVENTH edition of the first book, not the SIXTH (although ultimately it doesn't matter too much - I checked this with Bart's!)

Additionally, you may find it cheaper to get these books off of Amazon - the first two books in the bundle cost £75 from their recommended retailer, but I was able to get the books from Amazon for £43
    If you're at Floyer house it's all of a 2 minute walk to lectures/ the garrod for PBL, there will be days where you wake up just in time for things, there will also likely be days where you sleep through things (accept this now! Don't be the fresher that thinks they'll turn up to everything)

Reading lists are more.. guidelines, than actual books to buy. I own absolutely zero of those books, only books I have are Kumar & Clarke Clin Med, Oxford hanbook, and the anatomy coloring (damn americans) book. Of which I don't use them that much (aside from the cheese and onion)

There are plenty of books in the library, you can avoid buying any more books for a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    If you're at Floyer house it's all of a 2 minute walk to lectures/ the garrod for PBL, there will be days where you wake up just in time for things, there will also likely be days where you sleep through things (accept this now! Don't be the fresher that thinks they'll turn up to everything)

Reading lists are more.. guidelines, than actual books to buy. I own absolutely zero of those books, only books I have are Kumar & Clarke Clin Med, Oxford hanbook, and the anatomy coloring (damn americans) book. Of which I don't use them that much (aside from the cheese and onion)

There are plenty of books in the library, you can avoid buying any more books for a while

Ahh awesome, thank you Penguin! Must miss a lot from 2nd year onwards then... :')

oh... I wish they hadn't told me the books were essential then! pfft, oh well, I'm sure they'll be useful regardless!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ahh awesome, thank you Penguin! Must miss a lot from 2nd year onwards then... :')

oh... I wish they hadn't told me the books were essential then! pfft, oh well, I'm sure they'll be useful regardless!
    You get used to having to get up and travel, the 8ams are quite painful though.

Yeah they say recommended reading lists and that you have to get them, you don't. You can get through the entire course without buying a single book if you don't want to

ReputationRep:
    do you HAVE to send original gcse certificates or are copies of them okay?? I dont want to post my originals unless i really have to :/ btww is the QMFreshers pass worth buying now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaishiva)
    do you HAVE to send original gcse certificates or are copies of them okay?? I dont want to post my originals unless i really have to :/ btww should is the QMFreshers pass worth buying now
    I sent my certificates by special delivery yesterday.. what's a QMFreshers pass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmlee0926)
    I sent my certificates by special delivery yesterday.. what's a QMFreshers pass?
    your originals? ummm I just googled 'queen mary freshers' and it was there, saves you money at events I think.

ReputationRep:
    wow this sucks apparently I live in a commutable address so my accommodation application was rejected

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I got AAAC in my as-levels. How many UCAS tarriff points is that? How many is needed to get into QM for A100?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinfiresatnight)
    Hey everyone! I got AAAC in my as-levels. How many UCAS tarriff points is that? How many is needed to get into QM for A100?
    QM doesn't exactly work on a UCAS Tariff system - I have a friend who got A*AB at A2 and was rejected. This year, they wanted 3 As at A2 and a B at AS.

For other medical schools, you can find a comprehensive table of their requirements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyakdu)
    No they use a combination of your UCAS tariff based on predicted grades and anything you've completed and your ukcat, to be competitive you'd either need 4A2s with a moderate ukcat or 3A2s with a high ukcat, but those A2s would need to have A* predictions in them, 2 at the least

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I stand corrected... Thanks! Where did you find that info from?

ReputationRep:
    oh well, I'm sure they'll be useful regardless as doorstops!

Just kidding. They're good books.

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected... Thanks! Where did you find that info from?
    Best place to look is their website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can any Barts medic enlighten me as to the distribution of exams/OSCEs over the first year and the banding that determines whether you are awarded distinction, merit etc. at the end of the year... Is it by ranking or by % achieved along the course of the year or something along those lines? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can any Barts medic enlighten me as to the distribution of exams/OSCEs over the first year and the banding that determines whether you are awarded distinction, merit etc. at the end of the year... Is it by ranking or by % achieved along the course of the year or something along those lines? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's based on %. Out of interest, why do you want to know? Exam results aren't a particularly wonderful predictor of the overall quality of a future doctor.
    Barts exams are both in-course assessments (ICAs) and end of year exams. Successful ICAs give the right to take the end of year exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HawkFlight)
    It's based on %. Out of interest, why do you want to know? Exam results aren't a particularly wonderful predictor of the overall quality of a future doctor.
    Barts exams are both in-course assessments (ICAs) and end of year exams. Successful ICAs give the right to take the end of year exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. No I agree with you 100% It's just that I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, I know they'd probably tell us this at some point after we commence anyway, so I thought why not find out; completely out of curiousity.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. No I agree with you 100% It's just that I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, I know they'd probably tell us this at some point after we commence anyway, so I thought why not find out; completely out of curiousity.
    Ok, just wondered. The 'grading' is based on % in the year with the top 10% getting distinction and the to 25% getting merit. Not really that important, though. What matters eventually is your actual score/ranking, once you get to applying to deaneries in the foundation programme. Barts has three ICAs throughout the first year, then the end of year exams. There's one OSCE exam at the end of the year. The ICAs and end of year exams are split into MCQs, short answers (based on the PBLs), and a spotter based on anatomy/histology. Pass mark is 50%, and you have to pass everything (one resit for each paper allowed).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this before even starting - there are way too many exams to sit over the next 5/6 years and so much fun to have before having to sit them!

But in a nutshell (this will be explained to you in depth once you start in your intro/freshers week, and you'll probably forget about it because you'll be hanging from the previous nights antics), you have 5 "papers" as follows:
    Paper A - In Course Assessments aka ICAs (+PBL write ups/attendance & Med Soc grades etc. if in preclinical years, OR passes in clinical rotations from Year 3 onwards)
    Paper B - End of year written exam (x2 written exams in preclin - one multiple choice paper (EMQs and SBAs) and one short answer (SAQ) exam, and x1 written exam in clinical years usually multiple choice (EMQs and SBAs) though there are talks of changing this for Year 4)
    Paper C - End of year data Interpretation exam (computer based exam mainly anatomy/histology focussed in preclin, more clinical scenarios in Years 3 and 4. None in final year - thankfully. We have a national prescribing exam instead).
    Paper D - End of year OSCE exam (x1 in preclin, x2 in Years 3 and 4, x3 in final year)
    Paper E - SSCs (x3 in Years 1, 2, and 3. 8000 word dissertation in Year 4. Year 5 SSCs can be a like a mini elective if you want or can be in any placement you want wherever really).

For FPAS ranking, using the current system, it's your average over the end of year exams i.e. Papers B, C and D over the first 4 years. Each year is weighted equally.

For merits/distinctions, using the current system, its your average over all 5 papers that places you in the top 10% of the year for a distinction and the following 15% of the year for a merit.

But seriously, I really wouldn't worry too much about this now. Like seriously. I actually mean that. Things WILL FLUCTUATE over the years you are here - people shine in different parts of the course. That, and things really could change by the time you guys get to final year - they seem to change things all the time!

Focus on freshers! Freshers is SUCH a memorable time of your life and you will never have that new and exciting feeling EVER again! Your first freshers is always the best one as everything is so new! That should be your priority now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.