Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "The Spending Review reforms the funding system for health students by replacing grants with student loans and abolishing the cap on the number of student places for nursing, midwifery and allied health subjects."

I've got a grim feeling that it might mean all NHS bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyyy24)
    "The Spending Review reforms the funding system for health students by replacing grants with student loans and abolishing the cap on the number of student places for nursing, midwifery and allied health subjects."

I've got a grim feeling that it might mean all NHS bursaries.
    Nursing Times Twitter says it would be for those starting courses in 2017! (Fingers crossed you all get in for 2016).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    Nursing Times Twitter says it would be for those starting courses in 2017! (Fingers crossed you all get in for 2016).
    Ooh, that's interesting. The only issue with that is, you can only apply from 2nd year for GEM for the bursary, so I wonder whether it would count from the year you started the medicine course itself (2016), or the year you start your application for the bursary (2017)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyyy24)
    Ooh, that's interesting. The only issue with that is, you can only apply from 2nd year for GEM for the bursary, so I wonder whether it would count from the year you started the medicine course itself (2016), or the year you start your application for the bursary (2017)..
    Typically your financial situation through SFE/NHS etc sticks to your first 'contract'. Like the £3000 to £9000 leap, £3000 still paid £3000 when new freshers were paying £9000. The Maintenance grant and loan to just loan. The loan only applies to new applicants not people on currently studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kantayya)
    Where is this from? I can't see any mention of this in the actual Spending Review document (see: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...statement-2015)

Seriously hope they aren't axing these for med students, if they do, this is terrible news. It's outrageous enough for student nurses.

EDIT: unless it's the more general axing of the maintenance grant (and replacement with loan), which applies to all students from next year onwards.

(Original post by SPENDING REVIEW ANDAUTUMN STATEMENT 2015)
    1.100 The Spending Review reforms the funding system for health students byreplacing grants with student loans and abolishing the cap on the number of studentplaces for nursing, midwifery and allied health subjects. The current grant system meansthat there is a cap on student nurses and over half of all applicants to nursing courses are turned 32 Spending Review and Autumn Statement 2015away. This reform will enable universities to provide up to 10,000 additional nursing and otherhealth professional training places this Parliament. This will ensure that there are enough nursesfor the NHS while cutting the current reliance on expensive agency staff. The move to loans willalso mean access to 25% more financial support for health students during their studies. Thegovernment will work with key stakeholders to implement the reforms.
    It's pretty shocking really, I've worked 3000 hours for the NHS over the last 3 years, working nights, weekends, holidays etc, I appreciate that we're supposed to be supernumerary, but any health student knows you rarely are! And now they expect people to pay for the privilege of working the 13 hour shifts while completing a degree, not to mention the fact that newly qualified staff will struggle more to find jobs if there are more of them...

ReputationRep:
    Does it not fit in well with the agenda of privatisation though? Establish an "elastic workforce" of healthcare workers who have effectively paid for their own training for the companies moving into healthcare in the UK in 4 years time to make a healthy profit from. They even work for free while they train. Disgraceful really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    It's pretty shocking really, I've worked 3000 hours for the NHS over the last 3 years, working nights, weekends, holidays etc, I appreciate that we're supposed to be supernumerary, but any health student knows you rarely are! And now they expect people to pay for the privilege of working the 13 hour shifts while completing a degree, not to mention the fact that newly qualified staff with struggle more to find jobs if there are more of them...
    You are right - I misread the Report in my excitement/terror. It doesn't say when it starts, and doesn't define "health students", but seems like it's intended for all NHS bursaries... It also mentions 25% more support under the loan system, so they may provide larger loans to sweeten the deal. It doesn't change the fact that studying medicine (or any healthcare degree) is about to get horrendously more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kantayya)
    You are right - I misread the Report in my excitement/terror. It doesn't say when it starts, and doesn't define "health students", but seems like it's intended for all NHS bursaries... It also mentions 25% more support under the loan system, so they may provide larger loans to sweeten the deal. It doesn't change the fact that studying medicine (or any healthcare degree) is about to get horrendously more expensive.
    I think as GEM funding is under review for 2016/17 anyway it will be published separately for medicine. But it does look intended for all health students. I certainly would have had second thoughts about my degree if there weren't NHS bursaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottemc1234)
    Does anyone know if graduates stand a better chance of getting an interview/offer at undergrad rather than grad entry?
    I'm currently studying at King's and applied for the undergrad programme at King's and they still rejected me (without an interview) /:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    hey,
    I remember that I was once reading some stats about getting interviews and then offers after interviews and I can't remember where I found them at all - help?
    I am interested particularly in southampton, kings, barts and warwick HELP
    thanks
    Any for Exeter would be great for me.

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    I remember that I was once reading some stats about getting interviews and then offers after interviews and I can't remember where I found them at all - help?
    thanks
    Just answered my own question http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...etition_Ratios and http://themsag.com/uk-medical-school...etition-ratios

ReputationRep:
    And now I want to cry again

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    thanks
    Is something like this

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._a101_medicine

Of any interest?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think in regards to studying GEM the budget might not affect it too much. In so much as you'll have so much debt from doing at least one previous degree and the extra tuition fees for GEM, you'll never pay it off anyway. And as repayments are linked to earnings rather than total debt, you'll probably end up paying back the same anyway (not that I like the idea of paying off debt for the next 30 years, I loathe it).

If they replace NHS grants you might end up financially better off whilst studying. Most people find their income dramatically reduced during the NHS funded years and it can be a big struggle. Increased loans (that you probably won't pay off anyway) might mean you can simply focus on the degree, rather than having to work alongside it... or taking on debt that does have to be paid back (credit cards, personal loans etc).

EDIT: thats if the changes do affect medics as well

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry, I asked this yesterday I believe, but thought I'd re-ask as no one answered haha. Does anyone know the admissions data for King's graduate entry medicine? I.e. how many people are interviewed and how many of those received an offer etc? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Hey, sorry, I asked this yesterday I believe, but thought I'd re-ask as no one answered haha. Does anyone know the admissions data for King's graduate entry medicine? I.e. how many people are interviewed and how many of those received an offer etc? Cheers!
    According to themsag.com: 1600 applications to 160 interviews to 28 places last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    According to themsag.com: 1600 applications to 160 interviews to 28 places last year.
    Thank you!! Only just heard about that website thanks to you; looks really useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Thank you!! Only just heard about that website thanks to you; looks really useful.
    Thank lyra1987 she posted it would like to know how many offers some places made, but I guess very few people would turn down Kings so probably not much more than 28 offers were made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Thank lyra1987 she posted it would like to know how many offers some places made, but I guess very few people would turn down Kings so probably not much more than 28 offers were made.
    The King's website says they make 41 offers for 28 places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am I being a bit thick. If the uni's hand out more offers than places and fewer people turn down the offers than anticipated...do they have to honour the offer?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.