Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    I definitely say go for it when it comes to applying for Kings if you really want to go there. You have incredible stats, and having known people get an interview with less than 690, you should be able to get one since your application is very strong with your other stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks. I think i will risk one university. i'll never know unless i try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kony-d)
    Hey guys, I sat my ukcat and didn't do too well:
    VR:580
    QR:740
    AR:580 average: 633.33

Any advice on where I should try applying, I know where to avoid but which uni's would i have the best chance of getting into.
    GCSE's: 5A*, 4A
    You're ukcat is above average! it's just everyone on the TSR has ridiculously good scores which are not representative of the masses.
    Liverpool would be a good option due to A's/A*s being of equal worth.
    Keele, St.Georges and UEA.

However please go and check the website yourself as you will know more what is best tailored for you.
    Hope this helps! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic99)
    You're ukcat is above average! it's just everyone on the TSR has ridiculously good scores which are not representative of the masses.
    Liverpool would be a good option due to A's/A*s being of equal worth.
    Keele, St.Georges and UEA.

However please go and check the website yourself as you will know more what is best tailored for you.
    Hope this helps! good luck

What's the average usually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmedic178)
    I believe average is around 550-650; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You can look at the stats for the past couple of years on the ukcat website:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...ics%202015.pdf

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...02015%20v2.pdf

ps in 2013 the scores inflated greatly due to errors in the exam itself and the scoring system hence cut-off points drastically inflated

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  430.8 KB
    This screenshot is from the 2015 series but it shows the mean scores and the s.d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    I'm getting 400s in mocks! My exam is tomorrow! Someone help lift my spirits! I'm going insane!!! SO MISERABLE
    SAME I have mine tomorrow and my mock results are dumb -_- I have mine at 2 tomorrow so tell me how yours goes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    please don't worry. I was getting at max 550 in my best section (AR) but in the real thing got 790. seriously don't stress, i did and i regret it massively as a negative mindset makes you do bad. YOU WILL SMASH IT AND IT WILL BE OVER AND DONE WITH. I get so angry at how unrealistic the mocks are graded and they do this on purpose so when you get a better score in the real thing, they can make you think their website helped if that makes sense. just keep practicing and for the love of the lord forget the scores they are FAKE.
    This is really inspiring thanks 😅😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, maybe this is a Q for those who've done it already, but for Abstract Reasoning section is there a ratio of how many type 1/2/3/4 Q's there will be in that section? (judged on previous years or does it change for each test?) thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    I just did the mock from the 1000Qs book and got an average of 591. Im really struggling with VR and QR. Any tips?
    Also, is UKCAT ninja good to use for practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miri123456)
    Hi, maybe this is a Q for those who've done it already, but for Abstract Reasoning section is there a ratio of how many type 1/2/3/4 Q's there will be in that section? (judged on previous years or does it change for each test?) thank youuu
    I think I got about 5 type 2/3 questions

ReputationRep:
    please don't worry. I was getting at max 550 in my best section (AR) but in the real thing got 790. seriously don't stress, i did and i regret it massively as a negative mindset makes you do bad. YOU WILL SMASH IT AND IT WILL BE OVER AND DONE WITH. I get so angry at how unrealistic the mocks are graded and they do this on purpose so when you get a better score in the real thing, they can make you think their website helped if that makes sense. just keep practicing and for the love of the lord forget the scores they are FAKE.
    thank you so much <3

ReputationRep:
    okay so for verbal I used medify and sometimes did really well and sometimes didn't. it really does depend on the day and how nervous you are as its the only section which requires you to take in a lot of information TOO quickly. i suggest learn how to search for KEYWORDS. if you can't find any within the first 20 seconds: GUESS FLAG & MOVE ON.
    quantitative: MEDIFY is good but medify is a bit harder than the real thing for me, i was getting max 600. don't worry about this section at all just get used to % changes and means and MORE IMPORTANTLY be comfortable with the numlock calculator on a keyboard not laptop keyboard though.
    Abstract for me was my best section (790) but honestly i wanted to do better because i know abstract is my strength and verbal my weakness. nonetheless i did well though i got ALOT of type 4 questions and some hard partial patterns which made me panic and waste time. Medify for abstract is amazing and for me very representative. it is like a lucky draw however as we all get different questions.
    Hope this helps.
    Also i was wondering that i really want to apply to kings but i hope i'm not being too unrealistic with my ukcat? i have 9a*s 2as gcses and 3a's (chem bio maths) in as level. my gcses are good but ukcat verbal 540 and band 2 is, i feel holding me back?
    i CANNOT do abstract. The patterns are so hard and complicated on the mocks. I can do the type 2 and 3 but never the type 1 and 4 which gain you the most marks as there are 5 to each set. It is so upsetting. Ive never got above 600 and just did an offical mock and got 450!!!!!!!! Please help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean0219)
    These questions are asked every single day. Read previous posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hard with 192 pages and sometimes people want to target particular people. With each day more have done their exam and so more help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemccarthy34)
    i CANNOT do abstract. The patterns are so hard and complicated on the mocks. I can do the type 2 and 3 but never the type 1 and 4 which gain you the most marks as there are 5 to each set. It is so upsetting. Ive never got above 600 and just did an offical mock and got 450!!!!!!!! Please help me
    1. Don't be negative otherwise you won't be able to do it
    2. As soon as you get tired from practicing, take a break. For me push ups and running helped.
    3. Now for abstract their is an approach especially type 1/4.
    S hape
    C olour
    A rrangement/angles
    N umber
    S ymmetry

When facing set A/Bs go through each and ask yourself each question. ie what shapes are common in THE SIMPLEST 2 BOXES? if no commonality move on to the next. What colour is common and so on.

Remember every set is vulnerable to SCANS. The more you practice (medify was smashing for this) the quicker you'll become but be patient and most importantly positive and NEVER look at scores (ie 450/550 etc). Learn common patterns and you'll eventually remember them the more you come across them.

Final tip: any patterns you get wrong, write them down on a word document and print it out and visualise it. I did this, if you want it i can post it on here.

Stay positive and good luck. Hoped this help

ReputationRep:
    Any last minute tips for VR comprehension..my test is tomorrow and im most worried about VR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miri123456)
    unfortunately it is different for everyone. I however had many type 4's which can be incredibly time consuming since you have to look at all the test shapes. But some people get pretty much all type 1's so it really depends (another massive flaw in the ukcat but hey ho).

Just be prepared to expect all of them and if you cannot do a question. GUESS FLAG & MOVE ON.

ReputationRep:
    would you say that medify is the most representative resource? has anyone else used it? has it helped you? i've just started out and i have a month til my exam and i want to use the resources which are most like the real exam ...

ReputationRep:
    were you getting max 550 near the exam?

ReputationRep:
    1. Don't be negative otherwise you won't be able to do it
    2. As soon as you get tired from practicing, take a break. For me push ups and running helped.
    3. Now for abstract their is an approach especially type 1/4.
    S hape
    C olour
    A rrangement/angles
    N umber
    S ymmetry

When facing set A/Bs go through each and ask yourself each question. ie what shapes are common in THE SIMPLEST 2 BOXES? if no commonality move on to the next. What colour is common and so on.

Remember every set is vulnerable to SCANS. The more you practice (medify was smashing for this) the quicker you'll become but be patient and most importantly positive and NEVER look at scores (ie 450/550 etc). Learn common patterns and you'll eventually remember them the more you come across them.

Final tip: any patterns you get wrong, write them down on a word document and print it out and visualise it. I did this, if you want it i can post it on here.

Stay positive and good luck. Hoped this help
    OMG that would be absolutely amazing and so so helpful. Thank you for the SCANS tip also that really helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.