Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    the "are you my mummy?" episode ****ing terrified me, other than that, never really been scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    the "are you my mummy?" episode ****ing terrified me, other than that, never really been scared.
    I didn't really find that as scary as others claimed it was.

I think Steven Moffat's best creation so far has been the Weeping Angels. They're basically the perfect Doctor Who monster: scary and a massive threat. Plus it is what Steven Moffat does best: playing with childhood fears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    I didn't really find that as scary as others claimed it was.

I think Steven Moffat's best creation so far has been the Weeping Angels. They're basically the perfect Doctor Who monster: scary and a massive threat. Plus it is what Steven Moffat does best: playing with childhood fears.
    The Weeping Angels started off well. They were pretty much the perfect monster in Blink but I feel like they got ridiculous.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Really liked it, best episode out of the past few series for me! Great to have one which stands alone so well.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I still remember parts of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    The Weeping Angels started off well. They were pretty much the perfect monster in Blink but I feel like they got ridiculous.
    I thought they were poor in The Time Of Angels/Flesh and Stone, great again in The God Complex and The Angels Take Manhattan and pointless in Time of the Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Its not how much he runs but the latest episodes have been slow on action!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    more to good sci-fi than just action scenes though, heck, the best sci-fi shows know how to balance the action within the plot

ReputationRep:
    It was alright. The only great episode so far this series was the dalek one. The others have been mediocre and the first episode was absolutely dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    Part 2 of Oh my giddy aunt!:
    http://inferno-fiction.co.uk/oh-my-g...unt-part-2.php

Part 1 can be found in the issue 17 section of the same site.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like Capaldi is parodying 10 and 11. His pacing up and down and run-on sentences feel forced as anything. I really hope this is intentional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    I seem to be in the minority here, as the ending didn't really work me. I thought the episode was well directed and quite creepy, but I was expecting an actual resolution or climax. Me and my friend were both kinda confused at the end, perhaps a second viewing would help.

Questions:
    When Clara went back to the Doctors past and was under his bed, was she creating the already existing fear that the Doctor had (ie it was already determined) or was she 'rewriting' his timeline by saying comforting words so that in the present he realised it was just an irrational fear?
    Why did Clara grab his leg? It doesn't seem a very normal reaction, and she already knew that was what people were afraid of. It also seemed like a spur of the moment thing not a plan.
    If there really was no 'monster under the bed' what was the thing under the blanket? I expect people will say it could be a child playing a prank, but the blurred glimpse we got didn't look much like a child, and it pretty much shot out of the room in a flash of light.

I guess the whole point of the ending is the ambiguity of the fear/monster, I suppose I was just expecting a more concrete resolution.
    I feel similarly, I was definitely expect something more concrete. To answer your questions:
    When Clara went back in time and saw The Doctor as a child, she wasn't rewriting the timeline at all, that had already happened. The Doctor thought it was a dream (as he mentioned earlier in the episode) and this is what created his attitude towards fear.

I can't really say why Clara grabbed his leg, she obviously didn't want him to get out of bed (maybe because, as somebody said, his present self was in a blue box around the corner).

There was a 'monster under the bed' imo. You could clearly see it when they found Rupert, there were monsters outside when they went to the end of the universe and there was whatever wrote 'Listen' inside The Doctor's TARDIS.

By the way, did anybody else find issue with the fact that 'the end of the universe' didn't at all correlate with what were were told was the end of the universe when Tennant was The Doctor? The episode when we meet The Master?

ReputationRep:
    (In the voice of Peter Capaldi...)

"QUESTION..."

Is the current Doctor really actually the 14th Doctor, and not the 12th Doctor? There is one main Doctor missing from the timeline... The War Doctor. PLUS... David Tennant's Doctor had a 2nd regeneration. In "The End of Time" episode (Catherine Tate's / Donna Noble's final episode), the Doctor was of course exterminated by a Dalek... went into regeneration mode, but something happened in the TARDIS to do with his hand in the tank and remained the same looking Doctor.

(Also in the voice of Peter Capaldi...)

"QUESTION..."

Does anyone else feel that episodes written by Steven Moffat are very confusing? There's a lot of continuity in them - for example, in the last episode, the whole thing about the barn and the War Doctor... But it just feels like there is no actual plot to the episodes, or if there is, it just gets so confusing you can't really remember what's happening.

I thought the best episode of this series so far was the one with Robin Hood... and who was that written by? Mark Gatiss!

I think Peter Capaldi is a really good actor, and I think he's one of the top few Doctor's. It's just a shame that his time as The Doctor is going to be ruined with poor, ridiculous, awful, and confusing writing/storylines by Steven Moffat.

I like how the programme has become a bit more "grown up" shall I call it, compared to how it has been in the last few years, but it needs a better writer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    (In the voice of Peter Capaldi...)

"QUESTION..."

Is the current Doctor really actually the 14th Doctor, and not the 12th Doctor? There is one main Doctor missing from the timeline... The War Doctor. PLUS... David Tennant's Doctor had a 2nd regeneration. In "The End of Time" episode (Catherine Tate's / Donna Noble's final episode), the Doctor was of course exterminated by a Dalek... went into regeneration mode, but something happened in the TARDIS to do with his hand in the tank and remained the same looking Doctor.
    He's the 13th regeneration, yes. That's why he needed a new set of regenerations from the Time Lords, as each Time Lord only gets 12 regenerations. However, he's known as the 12th Doctor as the War Doctor didn't go by the name of Doctor, so although he was a regeneration he doesn't count as a Doctor. Tennant's Doctor did regenerate twice but he was still the same Doctor, so it doesn't count as 2 Doctors.

ReputationRep:
    LISTEN. :ahhhhh:

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike.Ross)
    LISTEN. :ahhhhh:

:ahee:
    To what? Because I absolutely refuse to listen to anything by 1Direction, Jedward or The Wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    To what? Because I absolutely refuse to listen to anything by 1Direction, Jedward or The Wanted.

xD

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I know we didn't see Missy this episode but I thought we could have a bit of a chat about her. There's a lot of speculation around who she is (some people saying that she's another version of Clara) and I heard this interesting idea the other day:

Spoiler:
    Show
    In the older episodes of Doctor Who (pre-Eccleston) it was known that the 12th Doctor was much darker than the others and apparently he went back and sort of messed with the previous Doctors (not face to face of course, but would set things up so that they would fail) and the 12th Doctor was generally considered an evil Doctor. If we go with this and the Doctor truly is evil, then it's altogether possible that his counterpart (the Master) could become benevolent. Thus, Missy is simply a female regeneration of the Master. It makes sense as Missy could be short for Mistress, the female form of Master and she states the Doctor is her "boyfriend" and the Doctor and the Master do have a very complex relationship that could be likened to a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

All conjecture of course, but I found it very interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    By the way, I know we didn't see Missy this episode but I thought we could have a bit of a chat about her. There's a lot of speculation around who she is (some people saying that she's another version of Clara) and I heard this interesting idea the other day:

Spoiler:
    Show
    In the older episodes of Doctor Who (pre-Eccleston) it was known that the 12th Doctor was much darker than the others and apparently he went back and sort of messed with the previous Doctors (not face to face of course, but would set things up so that they would fail) and the 12th Doctor was generally considered an evil Doctor. If we go with this and the Doctor truly is evil, then it's altogether possible that his counterpart (the Master) could become benevolent. Thus, Missy is simply a female regeneration of the Master. It makes sense as Missy could be short for Mistress, the female form of Master and she states the Doctor is her "boyfriend" and the Doctor and the Master do have a very complex relationship that could be likened to a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

All conjecture of course, but I found it very interesting!
    I'd rather see Ben Miller return and declare he was the Master all along. Ben Miller would make a fantastic Master.

ReputationRep:
    I'm split on the new series tbh. I like Moffat's (and the other writer's) smart-arserey, but i hate Clara and all story lines involving her with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm split on the new series tbh. I like Moffat's (and the other writer's) smart-arserey, but i hate Clara and all story lines involving her with a passion.
    I love Clara. Fantastically portrayed by Jenna Coleman and definitely my favourite companion so far.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.