Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Hi, I'm Bonoahx... in case you didn't know. I have no idea how to get into this thread so I'll just say hi and join in the latest conversation.

So yeah, I thought that you couldn't invest at 15/16 because you had to sign a contract? Do you use a stocks and shares ISA or something?
    HI:hi: Welcome
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EduWiz)
    I'm might start investing+++++ where do you invest(sorry im a noob)
    A few things first:

I've got a sizable amount of money that I don't need to worry too much about losing a lot of it. If you're piling in most of your savings into high-risk strategies and you need the money, you have to be extremely careful with where to invest. It's best you see how much you can invest before even attempting to copy any strategy.

I invest in quite a few places. I'm a fund investor at heart (Focusing on funds which seek high quality companies in countries that aren't thought of so much (i.e. Japan, emerging markets)) but I allocate a smaller but still substantial amount for myself to invest in what are known as Equities (stocks and shares). With the shares, I generally look at the more volatile sectors such as Technology and Mining, but I also trade slightly in ETFs that track the price movements of known volatile commodities such as Gold and Oil.

People will no doubtedly see this method as reckless though and if you can't afford to lose what you invest, then it's not exactly a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    A few things first:

I've got a sizable amount of money that I don't need to worry too much about losing a lot of it. If you're piling in most of your savings into high-risk strategies and you need the money, you have to be extremely careful with where to invest. It's best you see how much you can invest before even attempting to copy any strategy.

I invest in quite a few places. I'm a fund investor at heart (Focusing on funds which seek high quality companies in countries that aren't thought of so much (i.e. Japan, emerging markets)) but I allocate a smaller but still substantial amount for myself to invest in what are known as Equities (stocks and shares). With the shares, I generally look at the more volatile sectors such as Technology and Mining, but I also trade slightly in ETFs that track the price movements of known volatile commodities such as Gold and Oil.

People will no doubtedly see this method as reckless though and if you can't afford to lose what you invest, then it's not exactly a great idea.
    So what website do you use to invest?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Hi, I'm Bonoahx... in case you didn't know. I have no idea how to get into this thread so I'll just say hi and join in the latest conversation.

So yeah, I thought that you couldn't invest at 15/16 because you had to sign a contract? Do you use a stocks and shares ISA or something?
    You could use the Stocks and Shares ISA or you can ask your parents to open an account using their name but you calling the shots. Income from the Stocks and Shares ISA are tax-free and therefore you give less money to the government on any returns you make on the investments but not everyone is old enough to open one yet (I'm still 15 and have no NI number which is necessary to open one). Instead, if your parents don't invest themselves you can ask them to open it for you and then run the portfolio yourself.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    YES, ANOTHER INVESTOR! WOOP WOOP! :woo:

Do you track the commodities? I made an absolute killing on the 2x Ultra Short Gold ETFs (GLL) since the start of the year, and Friday was pretty much the icing on the cake. Up 9.64% on Gold Spot prices breaking through it's December 2011 support margin and with continued downside potential. Currently 26% return, but I think I'll wait for 38% before exiting my position there.

I also played with BBRY as you have. Shorted it on January 22nd and covered on March 5th, netting 29.72% return. (my typical desired max return before exiting is 29.5%-30%)

If I were you, I'd consider moving to a smaller allocation for Sony. Why are you long SNE?
    Wooooo!!! Go investing!

Well, SNE right now is at 36.3% and I'm hoping it rises to around ~38% then I will sell, if my gut feeling changes then I'll probably sell before it reaches that.

Yeah, BBRY was pretty immense, great opportunity for some quick dough!

I've never really looked into commodities but I think I might long some gold as a safety measure for longer term stability. How did you get into investing and what type of volume are we talking here? Have any particular strategies?

My iPad is doing things again...

ReputationRep:
    My dad used to trade stocks a lot! So I know a tiny tiny tiny bit (I know nothing)

Anyone here remember Rio Tinto? And one day their shares sky rocketed in value... Dad didn't sell then
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    How long did it take for you to learn how to invest?
    I spent a year fooling around on Investopedia's simulator which is great if you're looking at American companies like Princepieman is since that's the only equity type you can buy there. If you're looking for both UK, US, EU markets etc. you can always track the movements through Google.

Tell you what guys, I can set up a league and see who can generate the highest returns?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    How long did it take for you to learn how to invest?
    I played around with some simulators for a good six months before trying some real money. The thing is, you will lose money. So it's better to start off getting to grips with the markets, watching Bloomberg and CNBC etc... Really just testing out the waters by buying a few stocks in familiar companies and watching how it moves and based off of those movements you could speculate where it would go to next. It's a skill, just like with any other skill, it takes practice, practice, practice and a lot of tough skin.

My iPad is doing things again...

ReputationRep:
    So what website do you use to invest? ???
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I spent a year fooling around on Investopedia's simulator which is great if you're looking at American companies like Princepieman is since that's the only equity type you can buy there. If you're looking for both UK, US, EU markets etc. you can always track the movements through Google.

Tell you what guys, I can set up a league and see who can generate the highest returns?
    Do you do any Forex?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Wooooo!!! Go investing!

Well, SNE right now is at 36.3% and I'm hoping it rises to around ~38% then I will sell, if my gut feeling changes then I'll probably sell before it reaches that.

Yeah, BBRY was pretty immense, great opportunity for some quick dough!

I've never really looked into commodities but I think I might long some gold as a safety measure for longer term stability. How did you get into investing and what type of volume are we talking here? Have any particular strategies?
    SNE seems to be becoming a little overvalued (most units with the exception of its financial unit seem to be a little underwhelming this year). I would just ease off on it, that's all.

BBRY was brilliant. I highly regret not shorting FB when my gut instinct told me to though. (Just to clarify, I didn't take a Long position there but I felt it might be nice to short it on Day 1)

I got into investing because my family love talking about financial markets and investments so I caught the bug pretty early. I can't disclose volumes but my strategy is generally to look at things in the spotlight and see whether the market has got it right (such as the seeking alpha hype around BBRY). I'm also a sucker for volatility where the gains can be brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    HI:hi: Welcome
    Thank you!

You could use the Stocks and Shares ISA or you can ask your parents to open an account using their name but you calling the shots. Income from the Stocks and Shares ISA are tax-free and therefore you give less money to the government on any returns you make on the investments but not everyone is old enough to open one yet (I'm still 15 and have no NI number which is necessary to open one). Instead, if your parents don't invest themselves you can ask them to open it for you and then run the portfolio yourself.
    I doubt my parents would agree to that, they don't really think there's anything in it from what I've heard. I may as well open up some ISAs when I'm old enough, I have my NI number but only £50 lol so it's probably not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    A few things first:

Which game should i choose (investopedia simulation)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Do you do any Forex?
    Nah, I don't have the ability to follow the movements in real time (by the second) which is critical for Forex so I prefer Stocks and Funds.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Which game should i choose (investopedia simulation)
    Give me a minute and I'll finish creating the league.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guys, I shall have to leave you. I've got to go to basketball practice. I'll still lurk around for a couple more minutes though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There's also: http://www.wallstreetsurvivor.com/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ok, so for those of you who want to join, please PM me an email address (I won't stalk you I promise It's necessary for the league) and I'll add you in.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so for those of you who want to join, please PM me an email address (I won't stalk you I promise It's necessary for the league) and I'll add you in.
    I did one of those before haha, I'm terrible though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I did one of those before haha, I'm terrible though
    Give it a go anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.