Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Why does Dublin require a different education and health policy to London?

Economic devolution is great (tax and spend) but there's no need to be a different country to have that.
    Less ideological reasons for education but different countries/regions/whatever can have hugely differing health needs, be it to do with varying life expectancy, obesity, drug use, heart disease rates, and so on. One reason I'm so in favour of health being devolved to Scotland is that Scotland trails behind the UK on nearly all health indices, meaning I'd much prefer decisions are made here where politicians are more in touch with the problems.

Also, democracy. What if the people of Ireland want a different kind of government to the rest of the UK? During every single election between 1874 and 1918 Irish nationalist parties demanding legislative independence - and then full independence - won a majority of seats. As far as I'm aware this hasn't changed - there's no significant political movement in the Republic to reunify with Britain. Why should they become part of Britain just because a minority of British nationalists want to relive the Empire?

Alternatively - how would you feel if the nations were to reunify but the seat of Parliament were to be based in Dublin, where Irish MPs made up a majority and thus made most decisions about life in England, Wales and Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Less ideological reasons for education but different countries/regions/whatever can have hugely differing health needs, be it to do with varying life expectancy, obesity, drug use, heart disease rates, and so on. One reason I'm so in favour of health being devolved to Scotland is that Scotland trails behind the UK on nearly all health indices, meaning I'd much prefer decisions are made here where politicians are more in touch with the problems.

Also, democracy. What if the people of Ireland want a different kind of government to the rest of the UK? During every single election between 1874 and 1918 Irish nationalist parties demanding legislative independence - and then full independence - won a majority of seats. As far as I'm aware this hasn't changed - there's no significant political movement in the Republic to reunify with Britain. Why should they become part of Britain just because a minority of British nationalists want to relive the Empire?

Alternatively - how would you feel if the nations were to reunify but the seat of Parliament were to be based in Dublin, where Irish MPs made up a majority and thus made most decisions about life in England, Wales and Scotland?
    ...spot the yes voter :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    ...spot the yes voter :P

ReputationRep:
    My Irish views are akin to those of the Tories (can't believed I've just said that) in that the true crime in Ireland was Partition. Beginning with the resettlement of Ulster Scots, instilling the rich/poor divide we have had since. Partition was the kicker. Michael Collins, one of my heroes, knew that he had to succeed in increments, but was killed during the Irish Civil War, a tragedy. Leaving us with De Valera.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Irish politics is also disgusting. Childish, petty and motivated by their own naive outlooks. Assisted by the naive motivation in voting over here.

Great line on bbc news line a few nights ago that summed up the problem, something that people like Thatcher COULD NOT get their head around.

In relations to the Boston tapes (I can elaborate if need be) Loyalists are now starting to be charged, after a string of Republicans. The man says "typical of the police, the Republicans were arrested grand, now they go after a token Prod"

I'll pose a question about ethics, if you confess something in an interview with the understanding that you will not be charged for it, is it immoral to go after you later? Betraying your own promise?

That said, Britain lost all respect from the nationalist community when it operated a shoot on sight policy, OR when they refused to persecute their own officers and destroyed all evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Northern Irish politics is also disgusting. Childish, petty and motivated by their own naive outlooks. Assisted by the naive motivation in voting over here.

Great line on bbc news line a few nights ago that summed up the problem, something that people like Thatcher COULD NOT get their head around.

In relations to the Boston tapes (I can elaborate if need be) Loyalists are now starting to be charged, after a string of Republicans. The man says "typical of the police, the Republicans were arrested grand, now they go after a token Prod"

I'll pose a question about ethics, if you confess something in an interview with the understanding that you will not be charged for it, is it immoral to go after you later? Betraying your own promise?

That said, Britain lost all respect from the nationalist community when it operated a shoot on sight policy, OR when they refused to persecute their own officers and destroyed all evidence
    Being from Northern Ireland, I do have to agree with you fully here.

I think the tapes should be accessed by the police, buts that just my view.

Northern Irish politics, childish and disgusting, couldn't have put it better myself.

Anyway, stormont elections in a couple of months, they will be interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Being from Northern Ireland, I do have to agree with you fully here.

I think the tapes should be accessed by the police, buts that just my view.

Northern Irish politics, childish and disgusting, couldn't have put it better myself.

Anyway, stormont elections in a couple of months, they will be interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tragically, unlike the rest of the UK, where the voting results will be interesting, the only big difference I can see would be whether or not we see a Unionist bloc.

ReputationRep:
    Tragically, unlike the rest of the UK, where the voting results will be interesting, the only big difference I can see would be whether or not we see a Unionist bloc.
    I agree my friend.

There has been a worrying trend recently of the unionist vote being very split with the DUP becoming less popular, a slight rise in the UUP and some interest directed towards the TUV. UKIP, do seem to edge towards the unionist side, so there is another way the vote can split.

Whereas I think Sinn Fein still remain the biggest party on the nationalist side, where there is still popularity towards the SDLP they wont be as big as Sinn Fein, and then we have Alliance, also on the nationalist side who still both sides of the community will vote for

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I agree my friend.

There has been a worrying trend recently of the unionist vote being very split with the DUP becoming less popular, a slight rise in the UUP and some interest directed towards the TUV. UKIP, do seem to edge towards the unionist side, so there is another way the vote can split.

Whereas I think Sinn Fein still remain the biggest party on the nationalist side, where there is still popularity towards the SDLP they wont be as big as Sinn Fein, and then we have Alliance, also on the nationalist side who still both sides of the community will vote for

Adam
    Spot on. Stoopies have descended into nothingness. TUV remain the extreme unionist home, the UUP hopelessly in between. Down south it looks like Sinn Fein will clean house so I expect them to fly.

It's a shame, I live in a 99.9% Republican area but would vote Alliance.

ReputationRep:
    Spot on. Stoopies have descended into nothingness. TUV remain the extreme unionist home, the UUP hopelessly in between. Down south it looks like Sinn Fein will clean house so I expect them to fly.

It's a shame, I live in a 99.9% Republican area but would vote Alliance.
    I'm actually quite fond of the TUV and especially Jim Allister. Other parties seem to be afraid to speak their mind as they feel it is too extreme, but the TUV are happy to do it

Although alliance are meant to be in the middle, I can't help think that they do prefer to side with the nationalists!

Adam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree my friend.

Adam
    Interestingly the Northern Ireland polls have had the DUP winning and also winning back the seat they lost in 2010 (held by the First Minister i think).

Possibly more importantly though, the Tories believe that a Tory-DUP coalition is in the bag.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually quite fond of the TUV and especially Jim Allister. Other parties seem to be afraid to speak their mind as they feel it is too extreme, but the TUV are happy to do it

Although alliance are meant to be in the middle, I can't help think that they do prefer to side with the nationalists!

Adam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What makes you say that? Because they didn't cave and side with the Unionists on the issue of the Union Jack on city hall? Nationalist parties are more progressive than the Unionist parties, while Nationalists have to cater for Republicans, the youngsters are better educated and less inclined to cause problems for the other side. Unionist parties on the other hand are quite happy to push out, appealing to the "good old days" of having jobs given to you, supporting Twaddell, challenging the PC on EVERYTHING and supporting their right to burn Tricolours, without persecution.

Unionist parties are still stuck in the 1970s and there is not enough types of Unionist party to vote for, what if you hate the idea of marching on the 12th?

By that logic I guess, Alliance is more nationalist. But it's not their fault that the leading unionist parties are so skewed.

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly the Northern Ireland polls have had the DUP winning and also winning back the seat they lost in 2010 (held by the First Minister i think).

Possibly more importantly though, the Tories believe that a Tory-DUP coalition is in the bag.
    I think Tory-DUP is likely for Westminster, but for Stormont in Northern Ireland, I think sadly it might be a different picture!

What makes you say that? Because they didn't cave and side with the Unionists on the issue of the Union Jack on city hall? Nationalist parties are more progressive than the Unionist parties, while Nationalists have to cater for Republicans, the youngsters are better educated and less inclined to cause problems for the other side. Unionist parties on the other hand are quite happy to push out, appealing to the "good old days" of having jobs given to you, supporting Twaddell, challenging the PC on EVERYTHING and supporting their right to burn Tricolours, without persecution.

Unionist parties are still stuck in the 1970s and there is not enough types of Unionist party to vote for, what if you hate the idea of marching on the 12th?

By that logic I guess, Alliance is more nationalist. But it's not their fault that the leading unionist parties are so skewed.
    I see what you mean, but I would still be sticking with TUV.
    Where I might disagree on some things you have said, I respect your opinions

Adam

ReputationRep:

In such a close election those 8/9 MPs could make a difference, although I'm not sure how happy the Lib Dems would be to work with the DUP. I also wonder what English voters will think of the fact that the next government will in all probability hinge on the decisions of Irish- or Scotland-only parties. It'd certainly take getting used to for myself to see the DUP play a prominent role in government, which is how I imagine the SNP is viewed over the border.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    In such a close election those 8/9 MPs could make a difference, although I'm not sure how happy the Lib Dems would be to work with the DUP. I also wonder what English voters will think of the fact that the next government will in all probability hinge on the decisions of NORTHERN Irish- or Scotland-only parties. It'd certainly take getting used to for myself to see the DUP play a prominent role in government, which is how I imagine the SNP is viewed over the border.
    The interesting thing would be is how well the DUP would adapt to politics in Westminster, when they are mostly concerned with what is going on in Stormont in Northern Ireland

ReputationRep:
    The interesting thing would be is how well the DUP would adapt to politics in Westminster, when they are mostly concerned with what is going on in Stormont in Northern Ireland
    I'd say they'd be happy to stay out of it and vote Yes in exchange for some small financial incentives,
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    junaidk7 has been elected a Labour MP following the resignation of aadam10.

(Original post by O133)
    junaidk7 has been elected a Labour MP following the resignation of aadam10.
    Who with whom? Clearly aadam10 had made zero impact on the house, is this even news?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Who with whom? Clearly aadam10 had made zero impact on the house, is this even news?
    Backbenchers Re Importent too.

(Original post by Aph)
    Backbenchers Re Importent too.
    *Impotent...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.