Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacDaddi)
    The Congress is so dysfunctional. Would anybody here support a 100% elected Lords?
    I would provided its power was no more than it has now and it was smallish in number (say under 100 people). I would also have some rule about candidacy that meant it could not be a pseudo retirement home for MPs or a job for a very long time. The proposal for 15 year terms I did not agree with.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MacDaddi)
    The Congress is so dysfunctional. Would anybody here support a 100% elected Lords?
    That's got to be the best way. It should be elected at the same time as the Commons via STV, and it should be called a Senate (or similar) and not a House of Lords. It would be crazy to give it equal powers to the Commons though.

ReputationRep:
    Either fully elected or abolition. Any institution that has members appointed based on expertise is morally illegitimate and according to Arneson, reasonably rejectable.

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important reform to be made to the Commons and Lords is to reduce the seats. In the Commons i see little need for more than 500, in the Lords we should either have the same if elected or drop to 100 like the American Senate if we continue to retain one that is unelected.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the Lords should probably be elected, but I think that those that are allowed to stand should be chosen in the same way they are at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I would like a fully and proportionately elected Lords/Senate, the problems it would create and implementation was be diabolical. Imagine a US Congressesque Parliament!

I would support the HoC being cut down to 600 (much like the recent attempt stopped by the Lib Dems) and the end to heredity peers, equal religious representation and only effective/good Lords. If they turn up just for the money they can go, in my opinion. I think the HofL is a good advisory body and a good second check with being obstructive of creating gridlock and lame ducks ect!

ReputationRep:
    I'm favour of leaving the Lords as it is, but reduce the seats in both Houses.

Can someone please do me favour? Can you tell me if this is working for you?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b043xhd1
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by meenu89)

Nope not working for me - what programme is it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Thanks for your reply Late Junction from BBC Radio 3. I love reading a book whilst I listen to it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks for your reply Late Junction from BBC Radio 3. I love reading a book whilst I listen to it.
    I was searching for Casualty and I couldn't access that page either so maybe it's down at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    I was searching for Casualty and I couldn't access that page either so maybe it's down at the moment?
    Yes afraid so, I depend on the iplayer so much
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Following my retirement, I think Republic1/nixonsjellybeans are now our longest-serving party leaders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Following my retirement, I think Republic1/nixonsjellybeans are now our longest-serving party leaders.
    I hope you're still planning on sticking around though? And as an MP.
    a) because you're great for the House, and b) because I'll start feeling VERY old if you go!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    I hope you're still planning on sticking around though? And as an MP.
    a) because you're great for the House, and b) because I'll start feeling VERY old if you go!
    Thanks for the kind words - I'm definitely sticking around as an MP! I still love this place, but wanted to have a change after nearly two years as leader.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the kind words - I'm definitely sticking around as an MP! I still love this place, but wanted to have a change after nearly two years as leader.
    Good good! And yeah, makes sense! takes a bit of the workload off too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    From the looks of it, a lot of leaders have been very recently elected. There's not a lot of us left now who were elected in 2013. StatusRed is still Labour Party Chair I think as well and he was elected in July 2013.

ReputationRep:
    Do I count as a party leader? I am not sure myself though.

Barnet Brewery is doing a mild beer- not sure if there is going to be an appearance by Ena Sharples or Annie Walker in the pub though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    From the looks of it, a lot of leaders have been very recently elected. There's not a lot of us left now who were elected in 2013. StatusRed is still Labour Party Chair I think as well and he was elected in July 2013.
    A lot of change recently - it's good to see some new blood taking on leadership positions

I think you're by far the longest serving leader if we include November 2010-July 2013! You're not far off Acaila's record.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    A lot of change recently - it's good to see some new blood taking on leadership positions

I think you're by far the longest serving leader if we include November 2010-July 2013! You're not far off Acaila's record.
    It is and most parties seem to have brought in fresh faces within the past year.

I'm currently updating the tenure records and hope to finish them tonight or tomorrow. I've currently served 40 months so I'm 8 months away from Acaila's record and 9 months away from beating it. If you include my Deputy Speakership and Life_peer as Chair of the Conservatives, we're the only two remaining who were elected in 2010 (though I'm the only one to remain in one single office for 40 months whereas Life_peer's leadership service has been in two roles). I'm also, following your resignation, the only person left in office who was first elected in 2012.

I'm definitely aiming to beat Acaila's record now because I'm so close, but after that, who knows? It would be nice to get to at least 50 months though.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.