Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    There are a few in clearing (or there were) - City Marjon Sheffield.

Good luck with the interview - I am going back early to be a student ambassador during the international students arrival week (which is paid!) but we start a week earlier than you - Induction Week is 21st.
    Ah I would've loved to go to Sheffield ngl so lucky to whoever snatched those places up!

Ah fair enough! Earning that dollar ay Amy! Yeah we start fairly late which is frustrating cause I wanna get going! We got the welcome back through today and it terrified me a bit w shave introductory lectures during freshers week with 9.30 starts and 3pm finishes and they were saying our timetable is likely to include 9am starts and 6pm finishes haha!

Don't even get me started on the reading and exercises they want us to do before we go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Ah I would've loved to go to Sheffield ngl so lucky to whoever snatched those places up!

Ah fair enough! Earning that dollar ay Amy! Yeah we start fairly late which is frustrating cause I wanna get going! We got the welcome back through today and it terrified me a bit w shave introductory lectures during freshers week with 9.30 starts and 3pm finishes and they were saying our timetable is likely to include 9am starts and 6pm finishes haha!

Don't even get me started on the reading and exercises they want us to do before we go.
    Lol I hated Sheffield - liked the look of the course but not impressed after the interview (though they do have a building named after me!!!!)

Its a full timetable so get used to the idea - this year every Tuesday is 9-5 for me!

Reading lists and exercises! Haha! We had a bit of that but not too much - not sure I read even 5% of the recommended reading list though during the whole year

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, what would you guys do? I have a deferred place for SaLT at a university that's an hour or more commute from me. I have a young family, including a young baby. My local university also offers the course but they rejected me without interview in the same cycle that I applied to do it at the one I have an offer for.
    I'm torn between taking up this offer and turning it down and starting again on a new application. I don't think I'll find the answer here, but possibly get another perspective. I'd have five weeks to get everything in place. It's a four year commitment and I desperately want to do this. I just don't know whether I could forgive myself if I didn't get another offer. The local university was the only one that didn't offer me an interview and I think they're quite exacting in terms of their standards. I have all the grade requirements and then some, plus years of experience in ESL and special needs, as well as working in a care home. I've done some shadowing work lately of an SLT and I know from that how much I want to do this and how right it is for me. But that's the only thing that's new this time around. I feel like if I give this up now and reapply I may just put myself back at square one or even square zero.
    I don't know what to do. Never felt so torn. I just feel it's going to be so hard when my children are so young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giella)
    Sigh, what would you guys do? I have a deferred place for SaLT at a university that's an hour or more commute from me. I have a young family, including a young baby. My local university also offers the course but they rejected me without interview in the same cycle that I applied to do it at the one I have an offer for.
    I'm torn between taking up this offer and turning it down and starting again on a new application. I don't think I'll find the answer here, but possibly get another perspective. I'd have five weeks to get everything in place. It's a four year commitment and I desperately want to do this. I just don't know whether I could forgive myself if I didn't get another offer. The local university was the only one that didn't offer me an interview and I think they're quite exacting in terms of their standards. I have all the grade requirements and then some, plus years of experience in ESL and special needs, as well as working in a care home. I've done some shadowing work lately of an SLT and I know from that how much I want to do this and how right it is for me. But that's the only thing that's new this time around. I feel like if I give this up now and reapply I may just put myself back at square one or even square zero.
    I don't know what to do. Never felt so torn. I just feel it's going to be so hard when my children are so young.
    Where do you have an offer from and which uni is it that would be closer?

I have just done my first year on the course. There are several who commute in from similar distances to your 1 hour - is that 1 hour by car or public transport though? Several have young families too.

It's a hard one to call - the course can be quite intense and my timetable can be a little awkward at times - some early starts - some longish breaks in the middle of the day etc etc. Fortunately haven't had to deal with late lectures beyond 5pm.

Not much help I know - sorry

ReputationRep:
    Leeds Beckett is the university I want to apply to. For privacy reasons I don't want to reveal the one I have the offer from. It would be either a train or a car commute, depending on what childcare I could sort out.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds Beckett is the university I want to apply to. For privacy reasons I don't want to reveal the one I have the offer from. It would be either a train or a car commute, depending on what childcare I could sort out.
    Think I can probably have a good guess which it is but that's irrelevant anyway I suppose.

If you did reapply would you only pick Leeds?

I went to Leeds for an interview during my application cycle and really liked it there but they seemed to be a bit more selective this year with interviews etc - heard rumours they had had the number of places cut - don't know if its true or not. No-one from my application year who got into Leeds has ever returned to the forum so cant tell you what they say about the course there.

The other thing to consider is whether Leeds would be more demanding as its done over 3 rather than 4 years and also they did point out the vast area their placements cover.

Lots to think about for you - again sorry I cant give you a meaningful answer

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what happened to the BCU speech and language facebook group? Joined it a while ago then it vanished???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorna452)
    Does anyone know what happened to the BCU speech and language facebook group? Joined it a while ago then it vanished???
    I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard back.

Are you all sorted for September?

ReputationRep:
    There are two others that I would feasibly consider, Newcastle being one. That would involve a move but it's closer to family and the cost of living is cheaper.

I've heard rumours of that before at Leeds Beckett, though nothing concrete obviously. It's what makes me so hesitant about applying there because I may end up being left with nothing or just a similar situation. The thing is, the university I have the offer from is excellent and I know from doing some postgraduate study there that it's a place I thrive in. But with the demands of the commute, my children, the course I just wonder if I would be starting something I couldn't finish.

I just wish I had the courage to say "this isn't the path for me, I have faith in my ability to succeed." I just don't. The thing is, I'm not sure I have the courage to do this either. I have two little boys, one of whom actually has a speech delay and the other of whom is just still so young. He would be five and a half months old by the time the course started and I'm still feeding him. They both need me so much in different ways, but I also need to achieve and press ahead. And they need me to provide for them. This is the best way I can see to giving them the kind of life I want to give them, and for us as a family to have a life where I'm not stuck planning lessons every night (my only other realistic option is teaching) and a life where I am not miserable and resentful at home because I do a job I hate.

It is possible, I'm sure, to do it this way, but I'm not sure that I'm the person who can.

This really is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. No, the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

Think I can probably have a good guess which it is but that's irrelevant anyway I suppose.

If you did reapply would you only pick Leeds?

I went to Leeds for an interview during my application cycle and really liked it there but they seemed to be a bit more selective this year with interviews etc - heard rumours they had had the number of places cut - don't know if its true or not. No-one from my application year who got into Leeds has ever returned to the forum so cant tell you what they say about the course there.

The other thing to consider is whether Leeds would be more demanding as its done over 3 rather than 4 years and also they did point out the vast area their placements cover.

Lots to think about for you - again sorry I cant give you a meaningful answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard back.

Are you all sorted for September?
    Mmm guess about as sorted as I'm ever going to be, would of been nice to have organised a meeting or chat to some people going to BCU before starting. And also curious as to why someone would make the page then remove it? I've been waiting for someone (other than myself lol) To make a new one but I keep looking for it every few days but it's still not there. I take it your going BCU too?

ReputationRep:
    There are two others that I would feasibly consider, Newcastle being one. That would involve a move but it's closer to family and the cost of living is cheaper.

I've heard rumours of that before at Leeds Beckett, though nothing concrete obviously. It's what makes me so hesitant about applying there because I may end up being left with nothing or just a similar situation. The thing is, the university I have the offer from is excellent and I know from doing some postgraduate study there that it's a place I thrive in. But with the demands of the commute, my children, the course I just wonder if I would be starting something I couldn't finish.

I just wish I had the courage to say "this isn't the path for me, I have faith in my ability to succeed." I just don't. The thing is, I'm not sure I have the courage to do this either. I have two little boys, one of whom actually has a speech delay and the other of whom is just still so young. He would be five and a half months old by the time the course started and I'm still feeding him. They both need me so much in different ways, but I also need to achieve and press ahead. And they need me to provide for them. This is the best way I can see to giving them the kind of life I want to give them, and for us as a family to have a life where I'm not stuck planning lessons every night (my only other realistic option is teaching) and a life where I am not miserable and resentful at home because I do a job I hate.

It is possible, I'm sure, to do it this way, but I'm not sure that I'm the person who can.

This really is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. No, the hardest decision I've ever had to make.
    Can't really begin to imagine your predicament. I am 19 and have no such commitments. I admire the "mature" students on my course who juggle a family with studying - it can't be easy.

Don't know how flexible other unis are but at my uni someone has just completed first year and is now taking a year out to have a baby - she will then rejoin the course and we had someone come back this year having done the first term with the previous year's new starters after having to take a "time out" for whatever reason. (Gosh I hope this makes sense lol)

Do you have a degree already? If so have you considered the postgrad route? It is after all shorter.

I wish you luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorna452)
    Mmm guess about as sorted as I'm ever going to be, would of been nice to have organised a meeting or chat to some people going to BCU before starting. And also curious as to why someone would make the page then remove it? I've been waiting for someone (other than myself lol) To make a new one but I keep looking for it every few days but it's still not there. I take it your going BCU too?
    Yes I'm going. Still waiting for OT clearance, but have been told this wont happen until after the vaccination interview , but no date has been set for that yet..Doesn't seem real yet!

Did you get your results yesterday / recently, or are you a mature student?

I'm not really a Facebook person so was just following the BCU SaLT group..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    Yes I'm going. Still waiting for OT clearance, but have been told this wont happen until after the vaccination interview , but no date has been set for that yet..Doesn't seem real yet!

Did you get your results yesterday / recently, or are you a mature student?

I'm not really a Facebook person so was just following the BCU SaLT group..
    I find facebook very useful for stuff like this, for group discussions and good for communications within groups of people. Yeah I'm mature (questionable), 2 kids, live in Birmingham and a BSc in psychology....really looking forward to starting and getting on with it. quite confused with the vaccination/health clearance side of things. I sent my form off about 2 months ago and not heard anything back and I think that's the only thing I'm waiting on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    They said that you'd hear back by Monday 5pm,

That's exactly my thought process like if you're in clearing you're already going to be fairly stressed out so this is just adding to that I think! Luckily she's going through adjustment so if it went tits up she'd be alright but still it isn't fair.
    Ah I see, I was imagining them giving the deadline as the end of August or something! But it still makes it a bit tricky if they have to write something so quickly.

What is her original offer for?

ReputationRep:
    Can't really begin to imagine your predicament. I am 19 and have no such commitments. I admire the "mature" students on my course who juggle a family with studying - it can't be easy.

Don't know how flexible other unis are but at my uni someone has just completed first year and is now taking a year out to have a baby - she will then rejoin the course and we had someone come back this year having done the first term with the previous year's new starters after having to take a "time out" for whatever reason. (Gosh I hope this makes sense lol)

Do you have a degree already? If so have you considered the postgrad route? It is after all shorter.

I wish you luck.
    I do, but that route is highly competitive, usually filled with people who've done the assistant job already and whose first degrees are in psychology, which mine isn't (though I have some postgrad study in that), so not one you can really bet on.

Argh. I've posted on another board. I'll try to get some more perspectives. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I hated Sheffield - liked the look of the course but not impressed after the interview (though they do have a building named after me!!!!)

Its a full timetable so get used to the idea - this year every Tuesday is 9-5 for me!

Reading lists and exercises! Haha! We had a bit of that but not too much - not sure I read even 5% of the recommended reading list though during the whole year
    I never visited or even applied but I just like the idea of living in Sheffield, I think it'd be a good uni city! What, they have an Amy building lol?

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's going to be intense! I'm starting to fully grasp what I've let myself in for!

Ah that's reassuring, did you buy many books?

(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Ah I see, I was imagining them giving the deadline as the end of August or something! But it still makes it a bit tricky if they have to write something so quickly.

What is her original offer for?
    No it's not too bad but still if you were in clearing waiting around those extra few days could mean the difference between securing a place and now! I guess they've got to in order to ensure the get the right people but it still feels kinda mean to me considering they gave me an unconditional and didn't interview I thought they would be fairly relaxed.

York St John English Language and Linguistics, 280 UCAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I have not really enjoyed it to be honest. I liked some bits but on the whole I just get the feeling that the course is set up to run students into the ground. There are too many assessments, lots of content which is 'wishy washy', some duplication across modules, and the workload differences between some modules is laughable. For example, we have a 10 credit anatomy module which is supposed to have 100 hours of teaching time over two semesters (34 hours of lectures and the rest is self study and exam preparation etc.). Yet we routinely had four hours of lectures and practicals per week across both semesters. Yet modules which are worth twice as many credits have far fewer lectures and require barely any work. The whole thing is a mess.

I am currently revising for an anatomy resit next Tuesday then I have to take a phonetic and linguistic class test which I missed in January because my girlfriend got ill (looked really serious at the time). So I am not really finished yet... I think if I get over this hump and just get into second year then I will better about things as there are fewer modules and we get to start working in clinics.
    Sounds very similar to Sheffield. Chunked into tiny modules that usually have several components, lots of very repetitive content, lots of overlap, lots of strangely-organised and timed modules... the list goes on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFNX)
    Hi everyone! 😃 Anyone else on here going to Newcastle? See you in September if you are! I'm a mature student (29) so hoping I don't stick out like a sore thumb on freshers week! Haha! I'm only 18 at heart though to be fair 😂 xx
    Hi! I'm going to Newcastle in September after getting my results yesterday (AAB! )
    I haven't really found many others who are going to Newcastle...not sure If there's a Facebook chat or anything :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellice97)
    Hi! I'm going to Newcastle in September after getting my results yesterday (AAB! )
    I haven't really found many others who are going to Newcastle...not sure If there's a Facebook chat or anything :P
    Hi Ellice, I remember you from the group interview we had at Newcastle! Well done on getting the grades! 😃
    I'm not sure about a fb group but if I come across one il let you know. Are you from the area or are you moving here? Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellice97)
    (Original post by JFNX)
    Hi Ellice, I remember you from the group interview we had at Newcastle! Well done on getting the grades! 😃
    I'm not sure about a fb group but if I come across one il let you know. Are you from the area or are you moving here? Xx
    Generally you get sent information about a Facebook group from the university as it is something the older students organise themselves. The 2015-16 group is here. Last year I found there were lots of master's students in the group so do not worry if you do not find many undergraduates joining just yet. (Plus you will be in lessons with the master's students anyway so it is good to get to know them too).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.