Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! Been ages since I've been back on TSR but here goes, I'm in a difficult situation.

In my 3 A2's, I think I have done fairly well in philosophy and ethics so may be an A. I retook AS chemistry and think I pulled that up to an A/B, and think I pulled my AS biology grade to an A too. However, my A2 biology and chemistry exams happened during my mental breakdown which I have evidence for and copies of prescriptions and doctor's letters have been sent off to my universities for reconsideration and think my overall grade will be D as my papers were left blank.

I have applied for biomedical sciences at Newcastle and UEA. I have never been to Newcastle (firm) and thus don't have a feel of the university and its atmosphere, but it offers a transfer to medicine following taking the UKCAT and various other requirements.

UEA is amazing, I love the atmosphere and staff! However, I kinda feel crippled that I rejected KCL in a rash decision that I won't be able to afford living in London. If I had the choice between all these 3, I'd probably choose KCL for so many reasons, and I think I'll develop better as a person in such a big city.

Following a mental breakdown, say (big if's and hypothetically here) Newcastle does accept me and so does UEA, which one would you go to?
    Or should I take a gap year, actually seek help for my mental health and work on it properly, redo the last 2 exams that I messed up hugely, apply to university again despite this will be my 2nd year behind?

Thank you!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    In terms of ums you need 480/600 in total to get an A.
    Thanks but I don't really get ums so I was wondering how about in raw marks? Like I get gas fluctuate, but generally

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsinnit)
    Anybody waiting for results for History, Politics or Classics?
    Classic civ? A2? AQA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    How much marks do you usually need (out of what) in maths to get an A? Edexcel*

I think this year the bounderies will be high as the c1-c4 papers were all very easy as was s1 and s2. So i think you need atoubd 66 oyr of 75 on average for an A
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think this year the bounderues will be high as all the c1 to c4 was very easy as eas s1 and s2 so 66 out of 75 on average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Hello everyone! Been ages since I've been back on TSR but here goes, I'm in a difficult situation.

In my 3 A2's, I think I have done fairly well in philosophy and ethics so may be an A. I retook AS chemistry and think I pulled that up to an A/B, and think I pulled my AS biology grade to an A too. However, my A2 biology and chemistry exams happened during my mental breakdown which I have evidence for and copies of prescriptions and doctor's letters have been sent off to my universities for reconsideration and think my overall grade will be D as my papers were left blank.

I have applied for biomedical sciences at Newcastle and UEA. I have never been to Newcastle (firm) and thus don't have a feel of the university and its atmosphere, but it offers a transfer to medicine following taking the UKCAT and various other requirements.

UEA is amazing, I love the atmosphere and staff! However, I kinda feel crippled that I rejected KCL in a rash decision that I won't be able to afford living in London. If I had the choice between all these 3, I'd probably choose KCL for so many reasons, and I think I'll develop better as a person in such a big city.

Following a mental breakdown, say (big if's and hypothetically here) Newcastle does accept me and so does UEA, which one would you go to?
    Or should I take a gap year, actually seek help for my mental health and work on it properly, redo the last 2 exams that I messed up hugely, apply to university again despite this will be my 2nd year behind?

Thank you!
    Wow I really feel for you, I had a mental breakdown too x
    If going to university next year will negate from making progress with your mental health I would take the gap year, there's no shame in it but of course if you feel that you could handle it go with Newcastle if Medicine is what you actually want to do... Completely up to though, tough choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjass)
    I think this year the bounderues will be high as all the c1 to c4 was very easy as eas s1 and s2 so 66 out of 75 on average
    very easy as eas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coboyle098)
    Ahh I'm just back from a few days in London! Such a lovely city
    We did The Tempest last year for coursework which I really enjoyed! Our first exam had 2 sections, so in section A we were given a choice of questions on The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope, and section B was a compare/contrast question on King Lear and The Burial at Thebes on the theme of tragedy where we had to analyse methods and include contextual info (one of the worst questions I have ever had in my life🙃). Then the second paper also had two sections, and section A was analysis of an extract from The Butcher Boy, and in section B we had to compare/contrast The Outsider by Camus and The Catcher in the Rye on the theme of the outsider, analysing methods and including context - such hard exams
    I really adore the subject so much and I love analysing, but hate being tested on it because it's so subjective!
    Ahh, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, sometimes I get annoyed with all the hustle and bustle but then I remember that it's a twenty minute train ride and I can be in the heart of the city in no time. Context was worth the majority of the marks in my lit exam too, and that sucks, when you've put all the work in but you hate the question ooh they all sound like great texts, especially Albert Camus - I studied it in French this year (L'etranger) and it was cool learning about existentialism and his beliefs on the self, but it was bloody difficult having to write an essay entirely in french and making sure your grammar was perfect. For one year, 2 exams seems like a lot to ask for in that kind of depth - on top of all your other exams. We only had one and coursework of course but it still felt like a lot to know, on top of trying to create a sophisticated argument. I love The Catcher in the Rye!!
    I know what you mean, some people say it's objective because it's an exam and they are ex teachers and they know what a sophisticated argument is blah blah, but the discrepancy can be huge (first hand experience, anyway). It's more than possible to move between a B and an A* depending on who marks your paper - especially when there's only around 5 or 6 marks in it overall, with two essays!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    very easy as eas?
    Very easy as was. Typo error!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Loads of questions to ask lol

If your firmed uni doesn't accept you, is it worth calling the uni to see if they'd offer you a place for a similar course through clearing?

what time can you start calling universities for clearing??

Do you have any tips for the clearing calls or things to avoid saying in your clearing calls?

I'm preparing myself for the worst lolololol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So now that unis have our results, do they literally spend all weekend looking over them and deciding who gets accepted/rejected, or do they wait until Monday to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    x

Hi, I don't know about biology or medicine as I've only just finished my AS exams and will be applying for Physics.

I recently attended a summer school at Newcastle Uni, and I think you made a great choice with Newcastle. The city is consistently rated as one of the best (usually THE best) student cities - you will definitely be able to develop as a person. Everyone is so friendly, especially compared to London (in my opinion) - there's a reason London unis tend to have lower student satisfaction than pretty much everywhere else in the country.

Newcastle is also more well regarded as a university than UEA, but both universities are good either way.

However, your personal well being should ALWAYS come first, but you may be able to get mental care whilst at uni - do some research into that.

Good luck with everything, hope everything goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Very easy as was. Typo error!!
    I thought everyone was thinking s2 was slightly harder.

And I realised the error soon after ^^

ReputationRep:
    My Edexcel Math Predictions:

65 minimum for an A in C4: 67 Maximum
    61 minimum for an A in C3; 63 Maximum
    61 minimum for an A in S2; 65 Maximum

Edexcel were really soft this year. Annoys me because they will punish people who make silly mistakes. (Like meee)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, a lot of people found S2 tough, but its generally doable so 62 for the A probably, 55 for a B and 48 for a C maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    I thought everyone was thinking s2 was slightly harder.

And I realised the error soon after ^^
    Didnt seem hard at all s2 may be 68 for an A similar to last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalfrazier6651)
    Yeah I agree, a lot of people found S2 tough, but its generally doable so 62 for the A probably, 55 for a B and 48 for a C maybe?
    Really? I didnt sitvthe exam but looking at it it seemed straightforward. M2 was harder

ReputationRep:
    For people who done Edexcel A2 Chem & Bio what were your thoughts on the papers?

ReputationRep:
    Didnt seem hard at all s2 may be 68 for an A similar to last year
    Unlikely to be 68.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I didnt sitvthe exam but looking at it it seemed straightforward. M2 was harder
    I didn't find it hard but it was on the same bad day as fp3 I had. I couldn't even add numbers correctly plus a multitude of other really stupid silly idiotic mistakes argh just praying for low grade boundaries. Exams went much better last year for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.