Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    Ok, so for those of you who want to join, please PM me an email address (I won't stalk you I promise It's necessary for the league) and I'll add you in.
    Sorry a league for what

ReputationRep:
    Give it a go anyway.
    If I must I'll pm you now...

ReputationRep:
    So we compete against each other to make the most money?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by EduWiz)
    Sorry a league for what
    Investopedia has a function where you can have a "league" for its simulator. In other words, you can set up a little competition between your selected group to see who can generate the highest returns. If you want to have a feel for investing, it's a decent way to get some experience without actually using real money.

ReputationRep:
    Investopedia has a function where you can have a "league" for its simulator. In other words, you can set up a little competition between your selected group to see who can generate the highest returns. If you want to have a feel for investing, it's a decent way to get some experience without actually using real money.
    Oh ok I pm'ed you

ReputationRep:
    Should be fun :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I call 3rd place :mmm:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh ok I pm'ed you
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    Should be fun :woo:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I call 3rd place :mmm:
    Ok, I'll explain a few of the "rules" here for you.

The US markets open at 14:30 and end at 21:00 every weekday. Since it's the weekend, the markets are currently closed. You could use a little time now to have a look at companies you want to invest in and place an initial order if you fancy just leaving your portfolio for a while rather than actively managing it.

In all of your trades, you pay commission to a broker for the trade (both buying and selling) to go ahead, which is discounted from your account. I've rather unrealistically set the initial starting cash to 100k (to make it more fun than 10k) so the commission is generally dwarfed. The only thing is if you're actively looking at the markets and placing several orders in a day, commission will start to affect your account value quite significantly.

I've disabled a diversification rule (which limited you to a specific maximum percentage of your portfolio in one investment) to make things a little interesting. In real life, some diversification will be necessary to ensure you don't lose too much in one go. However, too much diversification and you'll earn nothing.

I've left the ability to "Short" (the inverse of profiting from a share price going up) on so that you can see how you don't necessarily need investments to increase in share price as well as to see how it can affect my and Prince's real life portfolios.

I've left out Options. They're likely too complicated for the initial investor (it's still rather too complicated for me) and generally small investors will not use financial derivatives.

Other than that, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    y
    How long does it last for?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    How long does it last for?
    Endless. You can drop in and out of the league at any point you like.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm so how is everyone spending their sunday?

ReputationRep:
    x
    Whats a dividend payment per share??

ReputationRep:
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/...-per-share.asp
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Some companies give you part of their profits on a good result. For example, Company X may give $25 for every share you own of them. Bear in mind not all of them do that though.

ReputationRep:
    Some companies give you part of their profits on a good result. For example, Company X may give $25 for every share you own of them. Bear in mind not all of them do that though.

oh ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll explain a few of the "rules" here for you.

The US markets open at 14:30 and end at 21:00 every weekday. Since it's the weekend, the markets are currently closed. You could use a little time now to have a look at companies you want to invest in and place an initial order if you fancy just leaving your portfolio for a while rather than actively managing it.

In all of your trades, you pay commission to a broker for the trade (both buying and selling) to go ahead, which is discounted from your account. I've rather unrealistically set the initial starting cash to 100k (to make it more fun than 10k) so the commission is generally dwarfed. The only thing is if you're actively looking at the markets and placing several orders in a day, commission will start to affect your account value quite significantly.

I've disabled a diversification rule (which limited you to a specific maximum percentage of your portfolio in one investment) to make things a little interesting. In real life, some diversification will be necessary to ensure you don't lose too much in one go. However, too much diversification and you'll earn nothing.

I've left the ability to "Short" (the inverse of profiting from a share price going up) on so that you can see how you don't necessarily need investments to increase in share price as well as to see how it can affect my and Prince's real life portfolios.

I've left out Options. They're likely too complicated for the initial investor (it's still rather too complicated for me) and generally small investors will not use financial derivatives.

What is this sorcery? :holmes:

(Original post by Bluffroom)
    Hmm so how is everyone spending their sunday?
    (Not) doing homework I should've done ages ago. And I shouldn't really be on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    What is this sorcery? :holmes:

(Not) doing homework I should've done ages ago. And I shouldn't really be on here.
    It says year 11 xD

ReputationRep:
    hi..this is really urgent..does anyone have the edexcel igcse may-june 2012 listening .mp3 file for FRENCH ?? pls post the link here

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    It says year 11 xD
    Just like the year ten thread says 'year ten'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Just like the year ten thread says 'year ten'...
    :teehee:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.