Pffffff. ...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi, Labour Party. I just thought I'd drop a hello since we are in a coalition with you, but now I'm going to leave. Bye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    *Impotent...
    I may only be a backbencher but I intend to be heard throughout the MHoC. I cannot truthfully say I am one who likes to sit quietly and hold back my opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by junaidk7)
    I may only be a backbencher but I intend to be heard throughout the MHoC. I cannot truthfully say I am one who likes to sit quietly and hold back my opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You got MP fast.

(Original post by junaidk7)
    So going on from my impotent comment you miss the perfect joke? Typical!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Should Labour not be in government after the election, to what extent will you blame the union support for Ed over his brother. I'm especially interested given the lack of grassroots support (which you guys are closer to) for Blairites.

My personal view is that while Ed's approach is not significantly social democrat it's been sufficient to scare business and Labour has still never just accepted and moved on from being blamed for the Great Recession (whether it was global or caused by Labour is less important than putting water under the bridge and moving the debate on). I think that David Miliband would not have made the mistake of appearing anti-business (whether Ed is or not is less important again than the perception) and would have somewhat nullified Cameron's lead in being 'Prime Ministerial' which would leave only the economic competence debate to deal with. As such, he'd certainly be over 35% in my opinion.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Should Labour not be in government after the election, to what extent will you blame the union support for Ed over his brother. I'm especially interested given the lack of grassroots support (which you guys are closer to) for Blairites.

My personal view is that while Ed's approach is not significantly social democrat it's been sufficient to scare business and Labour has still never just accepted and moved on from being blamed for the Great Recession (whether it was global or caused by Labour is less important than putting water under the bridge and moving the debate on). I think that David Miliband would not have made the mistake of appearing anti-business (whether Ed is or not is less important again than the perception) and would have somewhat nullified Cameron's lead in being 'Prime Ministerial' which would leave only the economic competence debate to deal with. As such, he'd certainly be over 35% in my opinion.
    I'm not going to criticise the Labour election process for involving the unions. After all, Labour is by definition a party of the unions that has managed to win support from large numbers of non-unionised voters.

I'm going to put down the perception of Ed as anti-business to the media. I think with someone who is to the left of the then-leadership coming in as leader, having held Energy & Climate Change as his biggest portfolio, is going to give an unrealistic impression of moving to the left.

What is really disappointing is the inability to secure the Lib Dem leftie vote in large numbers, with a lot of it going to the Greens, including quite possibly my own vote.

ReputationRep:

It's hard to think how Ed could have done this differently, stuck in between the Greens (who have thankfully shown to be lacking with Bennett and some policies are beyond ridiculous) and the centre ground, who had a lot of the ex - Lib supporters ripe for the picking. What has Ed actually done that was anti business? He clearly specified the difference between big and small businesses (important) Economically Balls is still associated with the crash (very unfairly) and the Tories have been lucky with the falling oil prices, but it's hard to get any moment in an economic argument with the Tories, hence the NHS. However, Reeves' comment about Labour being a party for workers, not those on benefits, is alienating some more of their followers.

I don't see Tories are being more pro (small) businesses, but it seems as if they have the votes to match. Amazed that Labour are struggling so much. Stupid to rule out the SNP deal too.

ReputationRep:

I kind of agree but the anti Blairism in this country (irrational imo) meant that the next leader had to be seen as different. If David got in we might be having the conversation about whether or not Labour should have distanced itself from Blair's government.

WHat I really don't understand is why on earth Labour haven't been hammering home the point that the Tories were in favour of labours spending plans at the time. That would significantly nullify Tory economic rhetoric. Labour have been so weak on this issue, lamely hoping that the public just kind of forget if labour look like they're "learning from their mistakes". I think the leadership must be out of touch with the common voter, who thinks that the economy is a piggy bank and the economic crash was caused because labour for no reason pulled out a fiver when they only had two quid, and that the bankers somehow had something to do with this making them bad.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mr Speaker, over the past term we have seen Labour and the Greens trade positions somewhat as Labour have taken a more pragmatic approach while the Greens have fallen victim to the infection of the extremist left.

In 1982 Britain sent a task force of 23 frigates and destroyers (around a third of our navy) to the Falklands and in the First Gulf War when we defended Kuwait we deployed around 140 strikecraft. Mr Speaker, today we have a combined total of 19 destroyers and frigates and have deployed just 8 strikecraft to provide air support to the Kurds.

Will the Labour Party in advance of the coming general election admit that the plans outlined in last terms defense review were inadequate now that we are faced with Russia and Islamism spreading like a plague beyond Syria and Iraq, now to Yemen and Libya. Will the Labour Party support creating a new consensus within the Mhoc to strengthen our armed forces and restore our forces to a level at least comparable to the 1980's.

Finally, will Labour's own foreign affairs spokesman assure the House that the open attitude of appeasement from the Greens is not replicated in the Labour Party.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Will the Labour Party in advance of the coming general election admit that the plans outlined in last terms defense review were inadequate now that we are faced with Russia and Islamism spreading like a plague beyond Syria and Iraq, now to Yemen and Libya. Will the Labour Party support creating a new consensus within the Mhoc to strengthen our armed forces and restore our forces to a level at least comparable to the 1980's.

Finally, will Labour's own foreign affairs spokesman assure the House that the open attitude of appeasement from the Greens is not replicated in the Labour Party.
    I'm just going to say here that myself and the defence minister (who is also a pacifist) have been in talks and we have agreed to the formation of a much better funded and equip EU army to tackle the issues you laid out, and are in the proses of getting MUN approval, given the term ends in 24 days I might just be able to push it though the house in time unless you'd be willing to hold off on the election until it's though. Because otherwise it's the job of a whole new foriegn sec who may not even agree to it...

also so stop getting labour to throw us under the buss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm just going to say here that myself and the defence minister (who is also a pacifist) have been in talks and we have agreed to the formation of a much better funded and equip EU army to tackle the issues you laid out, and are in the proses of getting MUN approval, given the term ends in 24 days I might just be able to push it though the house in time unless you'd be willing to hold off on the election until it's though. Because otherwise it's the job of a whole new foriegn sec who may not even agree to it...

also so stop getting labour to throw us under the buss.
    What
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    What
    Our defence minister is a pacifist... Most of us in the government are you know you're allowed in the government sub-forum right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Our defence minister is a pacifist... Most of us in the government are you know you're allowed in the government sub-forum right...
    I'm just getting in to this and discovering more and more how ridiculous the Green Party is.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What
    Your being led down the garden path by people who believe that Russia wants no more territory and that ISIS will simply make peace if we are nice to them.

I fear that for some of the sane Labourites, entering this extremist coalition will go down in history as a dark act.

ReputationRep:
    Your being led down the garden path by people who believe that Russia wants no more territory and that ISIS will simply make peace if we are nice to them.

I fear that for some of the sane Labourites, entering this extremist coalition will go down in history as a dark act.
    Are we (labour) in the minority?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm just getting in to this and discovering more and more how ridiculous the Green Party is.
    The defence minister is liberal thank you very much...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.