Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Were you thinking of physicsmaths ? :bricks:
    Damn, roasted again.

ReputationRep:
    No, some non-European modern languages still don't have spaces between each word. (Some do between clauses, though)
    For example, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and some other Asian languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Damn, roasted again.
    Not by me.
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    No, some non-European modern languages still don't have spaces between each word. (Some do between clauses, though)
    For example, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and some other Asian languages.
    Old Punjabi(language of State of Punjab in India) didn't have spaces either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Old Punjabi(language of State of Punjab in India) didn't have spaces either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does it have it now?
    I maybe wrong but I think some of south eastern Asian languages, like Thai, etc. And the languages of Nepal, Buta, and those area still only have a space between sentences and clauses, like in Chinese, etc. I mentioned, which I'm 100% sure of.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    R e a l l a
    e g a u g n*
    s u s e b o
    p o r t s u*
    h e d o n*
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    R e a l l a
    e g a u g n*
    s u s e b o
    p o r t s u*
    h e d o n*
    Translation compliance:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Real languages use boustrophedon.

ReputationRep:
    Look how many reps my roasting gets.
    Is this buleeing.

ReputationRep:
    Does it have it now?
    I maybe wrong but I think some of south eastern Asian languages, like Thai, etc. And the languages of Nepal, Buta, and those area still only have a space between sentences and clauses, like in Chinese, etc. I mentioned, which I'm 100% sure of.
    Yeh they have spaces now.
    The holy scriptures have spaces aswell although you can find ones with no spaces as they used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh they have spaces now.
    The holy scriptures have spaces aswell although you can find ones with no spaces as they used to be.
    Interesting they introduced the use of space in later years. Do you know when it happened?

I knew your family was originally from north India but didn't know it was Punjab.
    We have a good family friends who originally came from Punjab. They're Sikh. Are you sikh or Hindu?

ReputationRep:
    Look how many reps my roasting gets.
    Is this buleeing.
    Jocose ribbing, old chap. You're one of us now.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting they introduced the use of space in later years. Do you know when it happened?

I knew your family was originally from north India but didn't know it was Punjab.
    We have a good family friends who originally came from Punjab. They're sheikh. Are you sheikh or Hindu?
    Yeh, early 1900's.
    You maybe mistaking sheikh for Sikh.
    I am sikh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, early 1900's.
    You maybe mistaking sheikh for Sikh.
    I am sikh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gaah, sorry!!!!!
    Been trying new soft contact lens last few weeks that's not working very well at all. Can't see what I'm typing or how my iPad is auto-correcting......
    Sincere apology. Corrected, for respect.

Our neighbour across the road is a Sikh family.
    They're tall, the Sikh friends are very tall, you said you were tall......
    Are all Sikh tall???????

ReputationRep:
    Gaah, sorry!!!!!
    Been trying new soft contact lens last few weeks that's not working very well at all. Can't see what I'm typing or how my iPad is auto-correcting......
    Sincere apology. Corrected, for respect.

Our neighbour across the road is a Sikh family.
    They're tall, the Sikh friends are very tall, you said you were tall......
    Are all Sikh tall???????
    Maybe ...
    I think in Punjab the men were always big etc.
    But yeh everyone in my family is tall haha.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe ...
    I think in Punjab the men were always big etc.
    But yeh everyone in my family is tall haha.
    Come to think of it, there were a couple of Sikh boys in my daughter's old school, who came to school in normal size when they started age 7 and towering over everyone by the time they graduated age 18....

The descendants of formidable Aryans who invaded the area to establish Indus civilisation. No wonder Dravidians were all pushed to the south.......

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about accommodation - I just received my St John's ballot list and I'm very very near the bottom, which is a concern for me as I need to be aiming for a room on the cheaper end of the scale and I don't want to be left with only the most extravagant ones to choose from. Does anyone happen to know which rooms are typically left to the end (and I mean literally the last 10 or so) - are they the really cheap/inconvenient ones or the massive expensive ones that no one really wants?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SchubertLieder)
    I have a question about accommodation - I just received my St John's ballot list and I'm very very near the bottom, which is a concern for me as I need to be aiming for a room on the cheaper end of the scale and I don't want to be left with only the most extravagant ones to choose from. Does anyone happen to know which rooms are typically left to the end (and I mean literally the last 10 or so) - are they the really cheap/inconvenient ones or the massive expensive ones that no one really wants?
    My *guess* is the fancier (i.e. expensive) rooms go first.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard much from Trinity? I've had emails asking for my GCSE certificates and if family members have studied at the college but nothing about accommodation or the start of term yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    My *guess* is the fancier (i.e. expensive) rooms go first.
    Thank you - I hope you're right! The thing is, I wouldn't mind living in a cupboard if it kept costs down - the issue is whether there'll be any cupboards left...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SchubertLieder)
    Hard to say.....
    So many people with different preference and financial situation.
    Some want en suite and/or better quality even it's more expensive. Some want a cheaper room because of their financial situation. (Esp. some of international students)?

If you really want to make sure you don't end up in a room way beyond your budget, I think you'd better to contact the college/JCR and tell them your situation asap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.