Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxfordGoBrach)
    He's basically the same as Matt Moore on last season's numbers. The 49ers did well only because he played a low risk passing game so he had few interceptions but also not great passing stats too, their coaching, running game and defense were far more important to their success. If they get Manning they'll be incredible.

Back to Smith, I've heard even he doesn't really want to come to Miami - only if Peyton goes to SF. Even then we'll have to overpay for an average QB, it sucks. Steelers safety Ryan Clark said nobody wants to come to Miami, and that's true, our GM Jeff Ireland seems to be incredibly unpopular, and it's costing us from attracting good players, when actually there are a fair few good pieces on the team. Just not the piece that matters most, QB.

We've traded away our best receiver, missed out on Manning, and then Flynn, then we're going for an average QB in Smith and as another option David Garrard, who turned us down already once in the middle of the season as a free agent. It could've been a good offseason but it's been awful so far. Only good thing to happen was the new coaching staff, but it won't mean much with the lack of weapons on offense.
    Jeff Ireland seems to be a very dislikeable guy. Wasn't he the one who asked a college kid at the Combine if his mother ever resorted to prostitution?

In all honesty, I didn't get to watch Miami in all the eight or nine weeks of the regular season I got to see after I started taking an interest in the game, but I saw Alex Smith a couple of times and I thought he was very good. Held his nerve very well in the playoff games against the Saints and the Giants (which they only lost on Special Teams - nothing to do with his performance as he was just as good as Eli and held firm against New York's well-renowned pass rush). Maybe Alex Smith isn't the sort of Quarterback the Dolphins need to challenge the Patriots for the AFC East, but he's as good as you're going to get (now that Manning looks set for Denver) without one of the top two picks in the draft - and they aren't budging!

From what I've heard (and I can't back this up, having not seen them play), the Dolphins aren't a 6-10 team. It's a shame Miami have missed out on Peyton Manning - it would have been fantastic to see him vs Brady twice next season...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    Jeff Ireland seems to be a very dislikeable guy. Wasn't he the one who asked a college kid at the Combine if his mother ever resorted to prostitution?

In all honesty, I didn't get to watch Miami in all the eight or nine weeks of the regular season I got to see after I started taking an interest in the game, but I saw Alex Smith a couple of times and I thought he was very good. Held his nerve very well in the playoff games against the Saints and the Giants (which they only lost on Special Teams - nothing to do with his performance as he was just as good as Eli and held firm against New York's well-renowned pass rush). Maybe Alex Smith isn't the sort of Quarterback the Dolphins need to challenge the Patriots for the AFC East, but he's as good as you're going to get (now that Manning looks set for Denver) without one of the top two picks in the draft - and they aren't budging!

From what I've heard (and I can't back this up, having not seen them play), the Dolphins aren't a 6-10 team. It's a shame Miami have missed out on Peyton Manning - it would have been fantastic to see him vs Brady twice next season...
    Yeah, Ireland is reasonable at getting talent together but seems to make a few enemies and too often tries to get the best guy when there's high competition at the expense of looking at a 2nd/3rd option. That's why we were beaten to getting Flynn - he'd already been wooed by Seattle before he visited. The Dez Bryant bit was poor too, though I'm glad we didn't take him too, he's been a headache in Dallas.

I'm not sure I want another QB except maybe Ryan Tannehill in the draft. He was with our new offensive co-ordinator (Mike Sherman - ex Packers Head coach with Favre in the early 2000s) in college the past few seasons. I honestly don't think Smith would be any better than Moore. He had ok passer ratings in those playoff games, but not great completion percentage.

I think what bothers me is that comparing Miami and the Patriots, we had a better running game, defense and special teams statistically as well in comparison with teams like the Packers. But all that matters is the QB. Having a top QB can take you to the Super Bowl even if the rest of your team is just average or worse. I'd like rule changes back to before so the passing game is less favoured. I like the passing game, but it shouldn't come down to simply having a Tom Brady, a Peyton Manning or an Aaron Rodgers, it should really just be about the overall team. Not saying Miami had that of course, but that's just my view generally.

As for Peyton, the Broncos should contend more now, but that running game selling point will be hampered slightly with Tebow going. Not that it matters too much, passing game tends to trump all anyway. And for the record, I doubt Tebow to Miami is likely either. Our new coach wants a west coast offense, he really won't want to have to build a new, different one around Tebow.

ReputationRep:
    With all the QB talk I don't understand why Tannehill is hardly talked about at all. He's about as good a pocket passer as any of them (the talked about ones I mean) apart from Manning, and the draft is a much better place to get someone than free agency.

I'd rather draft Tannehill than overpay Flynn or Smith even if it involves making a move in the draft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    With all the QB talk I don't understand why Tannehill is hardly talked about at all. He's about as good a pocket passer as any of them (the talked about ones I mean) apart from Manning, and the draft is a much better place to get someone than free agency.

I'd rather draft Tannehill than overpay Flynn or Smith even if it involves making a move in the draft.
    He'll be drafted high I think. Possibly even the Browns at 4 will go for him, but I don't know how much faith their front office has in Colt McCoy still. If not them, then possibly my Dolphins. If the Dolphins don't go for him, I expect they'll trade down, Ireland likes to do that. Who else other than those 2 would go for him? I'd say the Jets, but they extended Sanchez. Chiefs and Cardinals spring to mind, too...

ReputationRep:
    Aaaand...now we've decided to release Yeremiah Bell, a safety who was second on the team in tackles. It just gets worse and worse.

ReputationRep:
    May of been talked about before, but anyone else going to Wembley to watch the New England Patriots vs St Louis Rams? First NFL game for me, hope it'll be good!

ReputationRep:
    He'll be drafted high I think. Possibly even the Browns at 4 will go for him, but I don't know how much faith their front office has in Colt McCoy still. If not them, then possibly my Dolphins. If the Dolphins don't go for him, I expect they'll trade down, Ireland likes to do that. Who else other than those 2 would go for him? I'd say the Jets, but they extended Sanchez. Chiefs and Cardinals spring to mind, too...

How does David Garrard sound? Haha, another short term option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    How does David Garrard sound? Haha, another short term option.
    Well, I'd rather him than Alex Smith. This move at least leaves us open to drafting a QB. Smith would've cost a lot more money for not much better production. But yeah, this has been such a bad offseason for Miami. Really really poor.

Which team do you support by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvStudy)
    May of been talked about before, but anyone else going to Wembley to watch the New England Patriots vs St Louis Rams? First NFL game for me, hope it'll be good!
    Yes! Bought the tickets on the spur of the moment because I figured this will be my only chance to see one of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time in action. Can't wait, although now I say that I bet Brady gets injured the game before.

Who's your team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    Yes! Bought the tickets on the spur of the moment because I figured this will be my only chance to see one of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time in action. Can't wait, although now I say that I bet Brady gets injured the game before.

Who's your team?
    I'd say NE only because of Brady, as I think he's amazing. I like Amendola from the Rams but that's only because he was on the BBC commentary team during the SuperBowl, haha

Can't wait though, should be amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd rather him than Alex Smith. This move at least leaves us open to drafting a QB. Smith would've cost a lot more money for not much better production. But yeah, this has been such a bad offseason for Miami. Really really poor.

Which team do you support by the way?
    Yeah, I see what you mean about the product each QB would create. Plus it doesn't seem as if Miami is renowned for it's wideouts either. Just got to hope they have a good draft, I guess.

I don't really support a team as much as I support the League. I like being able to sit down and just get excited watching any game. No hate for any team means I can watch any team with an open mind and I'm very rarely disappointed. Mind you, I have soft spots for the Colts (after watching their win against the Texans in Week 15), the Packers (because of Aaron Rodgers - especially after GB's win against the Giants, due to his last minute 3-play passing drive of about 60 yards using no timeouts until they kicked) and the Giants (because I watched them a lot last season and every game was exciting - except when they got embarrassed by Washington on their own turf).

ReputationRep:
    You'll have an awesome time

I've been to two international series games. Saw the shoot-out between the Saints and the Chargers which was a great game. Then I got to see Brady and Co demolish my Bucs like 35-7 I think. We were terrible that year 3-13, with Raheem's first season as HC. Was the first snaps Freeman took as a pro in the 4th Q that game. The whole atmosphere is quality. Got to stand like a few metres away from Commissioner Goodell whilst he was doing an interview on Wembley Way for a New England channel, that was pretty suhweet

ReputationRep:
    Me :P

Going with my uncle who is a crazy Rams fan.

Should be interesting to say the least

ReputationRep:
    I am!

Missed the last game, as I was out of the country on an university trip but had been to see all prior to that.

ReputationRep:
    Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely without pay.
    Mickey Loomis suspended eight games without pay.
    Sean Payton suspended for full year without pay.
    Lose 2nd round pick this year and next (New England have this year's 1st).
    $500,000 fine.

Dayum.

Oh, and Tebow + 7th round pick to the Jets for a 4th + 6th round pick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    $500,000 fine.

Dayum.

Wow. Just wow.

Good move for Denver, getting Manning and offloading Tebow... Already had the New York media going after the guy: http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-...ty-moment.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    $500,000 fine.

Dayum.

Tebow deal may be reversed as there's some contract issues which mean the broncos want $5m from the Jets as well as the Draft Pick.

ReputationRep:
    This could turn out to be a good move for the Jets. I mean he's a natural replacement for Brad Smith in the wildcat and their offense regressed without the threat from Smith, so for the price it could be a good deal.

Saints, sanctions, wow, Thought Payton would get 6-8 games max... helps Bucs out hugely though...

ReputationRep:
    Mark sanchez must be heated.

ReputationRep:
    FFS! From October to January next year all we're gonna hear about is Linsanity and Tebowmania. Mark Sanchez days are numbered.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.