Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OurSeaBee)
    Ah. You are all muggles. Do I need to explain that practice to you?
    :yep: :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Sigh.

A prosphoron is a small, leavened communion loaf about the size and shape of a scone. They are put at the back of the church before the Liturgy. People who choose to make a donation in return for one, and put a list of names, usually divided into living and departed, underneath it. All the prosphora are then taken into the altar. Portions are removed from each one to be consecrated. The priest thus commemorates all the names listen when he celebrates the Eucharist. The prosphora are then returned to their owners. They are blessed but not considered consecrated, and so can be given to people not permitted to receive the Holy Gifts. It is common to share one's prosphoron with the people on the list. There are those who like to take theirs home and eat a little bit every morning as a reminder of the Eucharist.

See also: antidoron. You can Google that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    This is my problem: I rarely remember to pray. If I could remember to pray more, I think my spiritual and mental health lives would be much better :sadnod: Plus I've always been **** at keeping diaries

GEG had (has?) a prayer board. I think I need to have something like that on my desk, so that it's in my face
    Had :sad: it kept falling over and being annoying. Shall come up with new plan for next year!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sigh.

A prosphoron is a small, leavened communion loaf about the size and shape of a scone. They are put at the back of the church before the Liturgy. People who choose to make a donation in return for one, and put a list of names, usually divided into living and departed, underneath it. All the prosphora are then taken into the altar. Portions are removed from each one to be consecrated. The priest thus commemorates all the names listen when he celebrates the Eucharist. The prosphora are then returned to their owners. They are blessed but not considered consecrated, and so can be given to people not permitted to receive the Holy Gifts. It is common to share one's prosphoron with the people on the list. There are those who like to take theirs home and eat a little bit every morning as a reminder of the Eucharist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the explanations - sounds like a really wonderful tradition. I can see the dilemma about whose names to put down though!

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Had :sad: it kept falling over and being annoying. Shall come up with new plan for next year!
    :console: :hugs: :console:

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh Will pray for her and all your family. Please keep us updated so I remember to keep praying tomorrow and onwards - got a memory like a sieve
    (Original post by Joannywhite)
    Will be praying hun :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Diety)
    My confirmation priesty instructor person said she uses a prayer diary, and has a little notepad where she writes what she's praying for that week/day/whatever - seems like a good idea to me, although I must admit I don't do it that's just because I'm not very good at remembering to pray at all in the first place

Will of course be praying about mscaffrey's sister - hope there's good news at the hospital :console:
    Thanks, all of you. She's at the GP this morning and I'm just hoping he can suggest something to help her because she hasn't been very well at all the past few days. I'm a worrier anyway, especially regarding health issues, and my brain keeps jumping to the worst case scenario. I'm trying to stay calm and trust that the medical staff have everything under control, and will be able to detect what's causing her issues, but it's easier said than done.

ReputationRep:
    This is my problem: I rarely remember to pray. If I could remember to pray more, I think my spiritual and mental health lives would be much better :sadnod: Plus I've always been **** at keeping diaries

GEG had (has?) a prayer board. I think I need to have something like that on my desk, so that it's in my face
    Ok TLG, you've spurred me on to form a plan of action! Last night I thought I really need to get my act together (prayer-wise ) so I have written out some set prayers for myself to do every morning and evening (and one short one for before meals). Our priest gave a sermon last Sunday which touched on the importance of a life undergirded by prayer, and I sort of did the thing where you know it's right, but also that you don't do it Well here's me trying to change that! :jebus:

Morning Prayer:

Spoiler:
    Show

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace.
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    Where there is injury, pardon;
    Where there is doubt, faith;
    Where there is despair, hope;
    Where there is darkness, light;
    Where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
    To be consoled as to console;
    To be understood as to understand;
    To be loved as to love;
    For it is in giving that we receive;
    It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    It is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.

Amen.

I love this one, it's early 20th Century French Catholic, and I feel like it is a good start of the day prayer

Prayer before meals:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bless us, O Lord! and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord.
    Amen.

This is just the standard Roman Catholic grace, and I think it's good and succinct, though I don't count on using it 'religiously' because being from an atheist family, I usually just give a silent personal prayer before a meal, or send up thankful thoughts

Evening Prayer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

[Repent of sins]

Lord in Your mercy forgive my sins and by Your Holy Spirit bring me into the newness of life so that I may serve You in the Way of Christ.

Blessed Mother, full of grace, and all the Saints, pray for me that I may walk beside you in the light of our Lord Jesus Christ.

[Pray for family]

[Pray for friends and teachers]

[Pray for world leaders]

[Pray for the needy]

[Pray for yourself]

Merciful Father,
    Accept these prayers
    For the sake our your Son,
    Our Saviour Jesus Christ.
    Amen.

So as the morning prayer was purely asking God to use me for His work during the day, I think an evening prayer should be more a time to reflect on the day and ask God for help with what I've experienced. So opening with the ancient one line Jesus prayer, then repenting of sins committed that day, and then asking God's forgiveness and help in changing. Next is the bit directed to Mary and the saints, I had to write that myself as well to reflect the kind of attitude I feel comfortable with, so a small but important component. The next 5 sections is an idea I got from the CofE, which teaches prayer using each finger on the hand: the thumb is strong, like family and relationships, the index points like those who guide us (friends, teachers, doctors) - for these two, thanks should also be given. Then the tall middle finger for world leaders, the weak ring finger for the poor and needy, and finally the smallest finger for ourselves. These are all going to be me ad-libbing, but if I feel I need a prayer diary I might look into that in the future. The closing is just the way we close our prayers of intercession in Church
    So the evening prayer is quite personally tailored by me, and I wrote most of the set bits, so if anyone was thinking of doing something like this, I would encourage you to tailor your prayers to yourself

TLG, if I start lapsing from this prayer plan, please send me a virtual slap :ahee:

Oh, and I know people were talking about Rev season 3's easter episode earlier, well I found the climax moment! Where Rev gets really depressed and then meets God! I found it really moving when I saw it on Telly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diety)
    Spoiler:
    Show

To be loved as to love;

Amen.

I love this one, it's early 20th Century French Catholic, and I feel like it is a good start of the day prayer
    I was going to quote you and say it's the prayer of St. Francis, so surely is older, but thought I ought to give it a quick google...
    Turns out it has nothing to do with St. Francis. I am a little disappointed :sad:

The next 5 sections is an idea I got from the CofE, which teaches prayer using each finger on the hand: the thumb is strong, like family and relationships, the index points like those who guide us (friends, teachers, doctors) - for these two, thanks should also be given. Then the tall middle finger for world leaders, the weak ring finger for the poor and needy, and finally the smallest finger for ourselves.
    This is beautiful!

These are all going to be me ad-libbing, but if I feel I need a prayer diary I might look into that in the future.
    I have a journal that I write in when I feel the need/want. It can be very interesting going back over it and seeing what's happened in the past, or how I was a year ago.

Oh, and I know people were talking about Rev season 3's easter episode earlier, well I found the climax moment! Where Rev gets really depressed and then meets God! I found it really moving when I saw it on Telly

:love: :daydreaming:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    Thanks, all of you. She's at the GP this morning and I'm just hoping he can suggest something to help her because she hasn't been very well at all the past few days. I'm a worrier anyway, especially regarding health issues, and my brain keeps jumping to the worst case scenario. I'm trying to stay calm and trust that the medical staff have everything under control, and will be able to detect what's causing her issues, but it's easier said than done.
    Thanks for the update - continued prayers.

Diety - only just got home and need to sleep now. I also thought the first one was St Francis of Assisi :getmecoat: I really admire you for giving this a good go! Should be good, even if you don't manage to do it every day.

I'd personally like to give the spiritual examen as laid out by St Ignatius of Loyola a go but I'm too undisciplined for it

I get really frustrated with myself coz my spiritual director/confessor says that I have quite a developed spiritual life and it can go places so to speak, but he can't do anything to help me until I'm much much better :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I was going to quote you and say it's the prayer of St. Francis, so surely is older, but thought I ought to give it a quick google...
    Turns out it has nothing to do with St. Francis. I am a little disappointed :sad:
    I know, it's a common mistake, still a lovely prayer though, even if it wasn't written by anyone famous

This is beautiful!
    I know! It's such a good way to teach prayer! Well done CofE I say :ahee:

I have a journal that I write in when I feel the need/want. It can be very interesting going back over it and seeing what's happened in the past, or how I was a year ago.
    My confirmation teacher said writing could be used as a form of prayer :yes: might try this journal idea out, just as a way of keeping track, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Diety - only just got home and need to sleep now. I also thought the first one was St Francis of Assisi :getmecoat: I really admire you for giving this a good go! Should be good, even if you don't manage to do it every day.
    Thanks TLG I'm trying not to set high expectations as I know I have a bad track record in this area, but hopefully if I go easy on myself I can build up good habits over time

I'd personally like to give the spiritual examen as laid out by St Ignatius of Loyola a go but I'm too undisciplined for it
    Just looked this up and it sounds really good, will try and use his technique of walking back through the day with God Thanks!

I get really frustrated with myself coz my spiritual director/confessor says that I have quite a developed spiritual life and it can go places so to speak, but he can't do anything to help me until I'm much much better :cry2:
    :console: I'll keep you in my prayers, and honestly it's clear you have great depth to your spirituality, which is beautiful to see I'm not sure what more your spiritual director could want than the amazing faith you already have; I know we can always do more, but that shouldn't be an upsetting pressure from outside, rather it should be an uplifting journey between you and God - no one else knows what you are capable of or what is the right place for you to be in that moment than the only two who are in that moment together.

ReputationRep:
    My confirmation teacher said writing could be used as a form of prayer :yes: might try this journal idea out, just as a way of keeping track, thanks!
    :yep:
    It can be fantastic.

:console: I'll keep you in my prayers, and honestly it's clear you have great depth to your spirituality, which is beautiful to see I'm not sure what more your spiritual director could want than the amazing faith you already have; I know we can always do more, but that shouldn't be an upsetting pressure from outside, rather it should be an uplifting journey between you and God - no one else knows what you are capable of or what is the right place for you to be in that moment than the only two who are in that moment together.
    :ditto: You're clearly a fantastic person TLG.

And as a Brother said in Walsingham, everyone has things to develop and places to grow. Even those who've made vows to religious life aren't perfect :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    The brothers asked Agatho "Abba, which virtue in our way of life needs most effort to acquire?" He said to them "I may be wrong, but I think nothing needs so much effort as prayer to God."

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember whether I specifically asked people to pray for me about this, but Student Finance have just changed their minds and agreed to a loan for doing a couple of modules through Open University.
    I can get my honours degree now! :grin:

(Them saying no was the trigger for my "Need prayers" post a few weeks ago)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Diety)
    Thanks TLG I'm trying not to set high expectations as I know I have a bad track record in this area, but hopefully if I go easy on myself I can build up good habits over time
    Maybe I can try it for a new year's resolution for 2015. I don't think it's gonna work in 2014 - brain is too frazzled :o:

Just looked this up and it sounds really good, will try and use his technique of walking back through the day with God Thanks!
    No problem

(Original post by Aula)
    :ditto: You're clearly a fantastic person TLG.

And as a Brother said in Walsingham, everyone has things to develop and places to grow. Even those who've made vows to religious life aren't perfect :wink2:
    Awww, thanks for the vote of confidence peeps - really very touched by what you've said and I appreciate you saying it I just hope I didn't hit the peak of my spiritual life and relationship with God at 21, for it to go downhill from there for the rest of my life I kinda feel like I'll never be close to God again :no:

(Original post by Aula)
    I can't remember whether I specifically asked people to pray for me about this, but Student Finance have just changed their minds and agreed to a loan for doing a couple of modules through Open University.
    I can get my honours degree now! :grin:

(Them saying no was the trigger for my "Need prayers" post a few weeks ago)
    Oooh this is VERY exciting! So pleased things have worked out in your favour! Praise the Lord! :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    I've been following this thread for a while but just wanted to say :hi: and that your discussion of prayer inspired me to pray over the last few days. Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Obsidian)
    I've been following this thread for a while but just wanted to say :hi: and that your discussion of prayer inspired me to pray over the last few days. Thank you
    Hello! Nice to meet you! How are you? I'm Shan the yodelling goatherd :musicus: Welcome
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    D'aw I wubs you twu :hugs:
    :ahee: :jumphug:

If only they paid you to wear twead and look very quaint as you sat around thinking about the divine logos :grumble:
    I know, right?! :emo: :sad: :shakecane:

Very good thanks! Mum's on the mend after her op, still gets tired very easily and it hasn't done wonders for anxiety but she's getting better. Uni's been a really wonderful experience, still loads I won't to do and now even less time to do it as placement shall be 3 days a week plus the occasional massive block of 5 days but hopefully i'll get active with the Catholic soc or Ramblers - there's a marathon in Manchester which is either 25 or 55 miles depending on how stupid you are and doing the 55er next year is my target! The stupidness is strong with this one :yep:
    I'll defobags be praying for you both :yep:

This one looks positive though, it's Anglo-Catholic and does a mass for LGBT people once a month - just a matter now of fitting it into my schedule.
    LGBT mass? :gah:

(Original post by Diety)
    However, it varies how many parents they choose - I had 3 mums
    Glad to see some diversity in there :teehee:

Congrats btw

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Been to a gorgeous cathedral in palma in mallorca today and said a prayer for x-soc and a special one for our favourite goatherd as the place made me think of her!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oooh it is pretty isn't it? Thanks for the prayers :ahee: :lovehug:

Right. Time for a sporadic update: going to hear The Sixteen at Wells cathedral on Thursday.
    :ahee:

And now, the compulsory quotation from St Porphyrios: "Love towards Christ is without limits, and the same is true of love towards our neighbour. It should radiate everywhere, to the ends of the earth, to every single person."

If only I were that loving!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is one fab quote. And same :console:

I would be grateful of prayers for my sister. She has a long history of illness thanks to genes that passed on asthma, eczema, and severe allergies, as well as her having fluid on the brain as a baby, but recently she's been particularly ill. Currently there isn't any real diagnosis for her latest issue (apart from a working diagnosis of exhaustion/depression) but last night she had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance following heart and stomach symptoms. I'm obviously really worried about her and could use all the spiritual support I can get.
    Will pray for her :jumphug:

Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    HOLY SCONES?!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Cheese or fruit? :ninja:

(Original post by Diety)
    Ok TLG, you've spurred me on to form a plan of action! Last night I thought I really need to get my act together (prayer-wise ) so I have written out some set prayers for myself to do every morning and evening (and one short one for before meals). Our priest gave a sermon last Sunday which touched on the importance of a life undergirded by prayer, and I sort of did the thing where you know it's right, but also that you don't do it Well here's me trying to change that! :jebus:

Morning Prayer:

Spoiler:
    Show

To be loved as to love;

Amen.

Prayer before meals:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bless us, O Lord! and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord.
    Amen.

This is just the standard Roman Catholic grace, and I think it's good and succinct, though I don't count on using it 'religiously' because being from an atheist family, I usually just give a silent personal prayer before a meal, or send up thankful thoughts

Evening Prayer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

[Repent of sins]

Lord in Your mercy forgive my sins and by Your Holy Spirit bring me into the newness of life so that I may serve You in the Way of Christ.

Blessed Mother, full of grace, and all the Saints, pray for me that I may walk beside you in the light of our Lord Jesus Christ.

[Pray for family]

[Pray for friends and teachers]

[Pray for world leaders]

[Pray for the needy]

[Pray for yourself]

Merciful Father,
    Accept these prayers
    For the sake our your Son,
    Our Saviour Jesus Christ.
    Amen.

So as the morning prayer was purely asking God to use me for His work during the day, I think an evening prayer should be more a time to reflect on the day and ask God for help with what I've experienced. So opening with the ancient one line Jesus prayer, then repenting of sins committed that day, and then asking God's forgiveness and help in changing. Next is the bit directed to Mary and the saints, I had to write that myself as well to reflect the kind of attitude I feel comfortable with, so a small but important component. The next 5 sections is an idea I got from the CofE, which teaches prayer using each finger on the hand: the thumb is strong, like family and relationships, the index points like those who guide us (friends, teachers, doctors) - for these two, thanks should also be given. Then the tall middle finger for world leaders, the weak ring finger for the poor and needy, and finally the smallest finger for ourselves. These are all going to be me ad-libbing, but if I feel I need a prayer diary I might look into that in the future. The closing is just the way we close our prayers of intercession in Church
    So the evening prayer is quite personally tailored by me, and I wrote most of the set bits, so if anyone was thinking of doing something like this, I would encourage you to tailor your prayers to yourself

TLG, if I start lapsing from this prayer plan, please send me a virtual slap :ahee:

I may or may not have just stolen your prayer plan :ninja: :nah: :angel:

The brothers asked Agatho "Abba, which virtue in our way of life needs most effort to acquire?" He said to them "I may be wrong, but I think nothing needs so much effort as prayer to God."
    I saw Abba and then realised it you didn't mean the band. :sad:

(Original post by Obsidian)
    :hi:

Welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, this was quite an interesting watch (from about 20 mins on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy7yoNr9d6E

ReputationRep:
    I'm really excited about Archbishop Justin Welby's plans for a new community at Lambeth Palace: http://stanselm.org.uk/. I'll be seriously tempted to apply when applications open in February if my health is good enough that it seems realistic. I think about Christian communities a lot, and it's saddening to see less and less people taking up the call so it's exciting to see something new beginning that might attract new people to that kind of life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really excited about Archbishop Justin Welby's plans for a new community at Lambeth Palace: http://stanselm.org.uk/. I'll be seriously tempted to apply when applications open in February if my health is good enough that it seems realistic. I think about Christian communities a lot, and it's saddening to see less and less people taking up the call so it's exciting to see something new beginning that might attract new people to that kind of life.
    Ooh I hadn't come across that. It looks fascinating!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.