Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    He played vs man city and in two preseason games.
    He did indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yer poor today really but it's very hard to do well against Palace when they're in full bus parking mode. Wins a win and not much should be read into it other than we need to improve the final ball. Sanogo didnt help of course.

Few thoughts:
    -Cazorla for me has declined and in all honesty should not be in our XI is avoidable. So many deficiencies in his game are hidden behind his technique(which is mainly without final product)
    -AOC should start at LW for us.
    -Wilshere and Ramsey generally shouldnt play together as things stand, no synergies at all
    -Sanogo is only useful to chuck on when we need someone to cause panic in the opposition box. He lacks basically everything youd expect from a striker at Arsenal. Joel Campbell is surely better.
    -Chambers looks like a goer, would be even better with Mertesacker.
    -Sanchez looked good to me, love his work rate and energy. Made things happen but faded as the Palace did what they do.
    -Debuchy will cost us so so many goals this season, would actually prefer Chambers RB tbh
    -Monreal is underrated
    -Ramsey is our go to player now when we need inspiration, seems to relish that! He's approaching Gerrrd/Lampard levels of effectiveness for us now.

ReputationRep:
    He played vs man city and in two preseason games.
    in fairness, pre-season isn't all too reliable.
    especially if you look at how united won all their games but were desperately poor today.

i'd just give him time - if he hasn't improved after 5 or 10 guys i would get a little worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Yer poor today really but it's very hard to do well against Palace when they're in full bus parking mode. Wins a win and not much should be read into it other than we need to improve the final ball. Sanogo didnt help of course.

Few thoughts:
    -Cazorla for me has declined and in all honesty should not be in our XI is avoidable. So many deficiencies in his game are hidden behind his technique(which is mainly without final product)
    -Wilshere and Ramsey generally shouldnt play together as things stand, no synergies at all
    -Sanogo is only useful to chuck on when we need someone to cause panic in the opposition box. He lacks basically everything youd expect from a striker at Arsenal. Joel Campbell is surely better.
    -Chambers looks like a goer, would be even better with Mertesacker.
    -Sanchez looked good to me, love his work rate and energy. Made things happen but faded as the Palace did what they do.
    -Debuchy will cost us so so many goals this season, would actually prefer Chambers RB tbh
    -Monreal is underrated
    -Ramsey is our go to player now when we need inspiration, seems to relish that! He's approaching Gerrrd/Lampard levels of effectiveness for us now.
    This. He just goes missing in defending set pieces.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barneystin)
    credit for what exactly?

what exactly did he do that was 'good'? get into a goal scoring position once?
    I think you are being a bit harsh tbh just because it's Monreal.

He made some good runs, had good interception, he did well on the left and was composed in possession. He was good going forward, calm in the final third and was also solid defensively. I'm sorry but he did well coming off the bench.

(Original post by natty_d)
    Better than usual I would say.

Made some good runs as well.
    Exactly that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    This. He just goes missing in defending set pieces.
    Call me old fashioned, but the no.1 thing I demand in a wing back is concentration and reliability in the basics. Your Lee Dixons and Nigel Winterburns. Debuchy to me is the kind of wing back you might get away with a versatile CM like Martinez who will slot in when gaps appear(like he does for Alaba) but we're wide open at RB with our system. You might not see it so much on TV, but the space was just gaping mate. And even when he is in position, he doesnt inspire me with great confidence in his 1v1 defending. This will e worse with TW, Alexis actually covered loads for him today with his work rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    in fairness, pre-season isn't all too reliable.
    especially if you look at how united won all their games but were desperately poor today.

i'd just give him time - if he hasn't improved after 5 or 10 guys i would get a little worried.
    He's always been a frustrating player to watch and i don't see that changing. There's no way he's going to get to play in his favoured position at arsenal.

He isn't this Walcott-esque alternative a lot of arsenal fans think he is.

Also cringing to see people praising him saying he had a great game. He was poor and needs to improve his decision making and final product a lot because in an arsene wenger team he'll find himself shafted out to the wings more often than not

ReputationRep:
    Call me old fashioned, but the no.1 thing I demand in a wing back is concentration and reliability in the basics. Your Lee Dixons and Nigel Winterburns. Debuchy to me is the kind of wing back you might get away with a versatile CM like Martinez who will slot in when gaps appear(like he does for Alaba) but we're wide open at RB with our system. You might not see it so much on TV, but the space was just gaping mate.
    They do say wing backs are essentially failed wingers.

Anyway, who knows what Wenger is thinking though? Maybe we are getting a versatile CM to close those gaps? I hope he at least brings SOMEONE in to sit in DM. Otherwise, with the good teams that have speed, power, and can exploit those spaces... we're basically ****ed. Also factor in that we have Merts who is not the most mobile of defenders.

ReputationRep:
    He's always been a frustrating player to watch and i don't see that changing. There's no way he's going to get to play in his favoured position at arsenal.

Also cringing to see people praising him saying he had a great game. He was poor and needs to improve his decision making and final product a lot because in an arsene wenger team he'll find himself shafted out to the wings more often than not
    He looked more comfortable playing at the front for Chile then on the wings, but he had Vargas playing along side him. Maybe when Walcott comes back, he can play alongside him up front?

ReputationRep:

that's fair enough - you almost certainly have seen more of him than i have.
    he was dire today but i'll leave it a few games before i criticise him too much
    i think the physicality of the PL surprised him; he was often getting knocked off the ball.

people saying he had a good game are deluded.
    just because he cost 35m, doesn't mean he's gonna play 10/10 every week.
    final product in particular is essential - he wasted so many decent opportunities by having awful crosses.

exactly, with the AMs you have, he isn't gonna be played centrally
    might occasionally be played as a striker, but with him being so tiny and arguably weak, i wouldn't advise it.

ReputationRep:

In his debut against a bus parking Palace team, you're singling out Alexis when he managed an assist and did OK. Not sure what you expected from him today, but he looked sharp and we saw glimpses of something very different to what we had last season. He wanted to take people on, unfortunately short of a Maradonna, it's hard to do much against 11 Palace players sitting deep.

Why always the witch hunts?

ReputationRep:
    In his debut against a bus parking Palace team, you're singling out Alexis when he managed an assist and did OK.

nah man, not to target a specific player but he was bad.
    a recently signed player costing 35m is always going to have the spotlight on him.

he assisted fair enough, but that doesn't give him a free pass to do nothing good for the rest of the game.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, with the AMs you have, he isn't gonna be played centrally
    might occasionally be played as a striker, but with him being so tiny and arguably weak, i wouldn't advise it.
    sanchez isn't weak, far from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    He does have a point. At the end of last season we were begging for a new ST and a DM, and we don't have either. All we have done is fill the gaps in the team of the players who have left plus Sanchez, and we now need to get an extra CB.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it's almost comical really.

And Wenger tells us that Sanchez can play as a striker to try to placate us on that front, but then he's starting Sanogo, who lets face it:

lacks basically everything you'd expect from a striker
    Agree with Zurich about Ox/Cazorla too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    sanchez isn't weak, far from it.
    meh, i suppose i shouldn't generalise after only watching a single game but he certainly didn't demonstrate strength today from what i saw (only from 40 mins +).

ReputationRep:
    nah man, not to target a specific player but he was bad.
    a recently signed player costing 35m is always going to have the spotlight on him.

he assisted fair enough, but that doesn't give him a free pass to do nothing good for the rest of the game.
    Games when teams park the bus are always like this, always. You're literally either looking for Sanchez to i)smack it top bins from distance or ii)beat 8 men with a dribble. To say he cost big money and hence should unconditionally have dazzled on his debut is complete *******s. How did Hazard look vs Palace last season, Suarez against Chelsea/Palace last season? What about Messi vs Chelsea in 2012?

Nothing good? His work rate was on point, he showed great aggression and his directness was there even if was hard to produce much(beyond an assist) against Palace.

ReputationRep:
    In his debut against a bus parking Palace team, you're singling out Alexis when he managed an assist and did OK. Not sure what you expected from him today, but he looked sharp and we saw glimpses of something very different to what we had last season. He wanted to take people on, unfortunately short of a Maradonna, it's hard to do much against 11 Palace players sitting deep.

He wanted to take people on? Cool it's a shame he never did and lost the ball whenever he tried.

I expect a 35m player to be able to cross a ball and not put it out for a throw in every time he attempts a cross under absolutely no pressure

He didn't look sharp at all what a load of *******s and also what did he offer us that we didn't have last season? We were absolutely awful in the final 3rd today and he played his part in that

ReputationRep:
    meh, i suppose i shouldn't generalise after only watching a single game but he certainly didn't demonstrate strength today from what i saw (only from 40 mins +).
    Youve never seen Sanchez before today?

He is very tenacious and up for a scrap, and he did show that today too.

ReputationRep:
    He wanted to take people on? Cool it's a shame he never did and lost the ball whenever he tried.

I expect a 35m player to be able to cross a ball and not put it out for a throw in every time he attempts a cross under absolutely no pressure

He didn't look sharp at all what a load of *******s and also what did he offer us that we didn't have last season? We were absolutely awful in the final 3rd today and he played his part in that
    Could you pick a worse game to showcase Alexis' ability than against a bus parking Palace side? His crossing was poor, assist aside, but it's fair to say his crossing is not his strength really.

What will he offer vs last season? A very strong work ethic, energy, directness.

Also worth noting that he was playing with a League 1 striker in Sanogo and a totally out of sorts Cazorla today, and yet you've started a witch hunt. Nice!

ReputationRep:
    Games when teams park the bus are always like this, always. You're literally either looking for Sanchez to i)smack it top bins from distance or ii)beat 8 men with a dribble. To say he cost big money and hence should unconditionally have dazzled on his debut is complete *******s. How did Hazard look vs Palace last season, Suarez against Chelsea/Palace last season? What about Messi vs Chelsea in 2012?

Nothing good? His work rate was on point, he showed great aggression and his directness was there even if was hard to produce much(beyond an assist) against Palace.
    To be fair, Chelsea's defence is superior to Palace's, Palace have conceded 6 goals to Liverpool last season, Suarez scoring 2 of them.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.