Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I'm thinking about applying to bristol for Economics and Finance which want AAA, now i messed up a bit at AS and I got AABC, B in maths (edexcel D1 screwed me lol), are my chances still good because I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and I'm going to drop the C in physics - I took biology economics physics and maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiengoku)
    Hey guys, so I'm thinking about applying to bristol for Economics and Finance which want AAA, now i messed up a bit at AS and I got AABC, B in maths (edexcel D1 screwed me lol), are my chances still good because I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and I'm going to drop the C in physics - I took biology economics physics and maths
    They're okay. Not great, but not bad either.
    Resitting D1 is something you should be thinking about, what was your UMS for it out of interest?
    GCSE's are good, but Bristol does value predictions fairly highly, IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    They're okay. Not great, but not bad either.
    Resitting D1 is something you should be thinking about, what was your UMS for it out of interest?
    GCSE's are good, but Bristol does value predictions fairly highly, IIRC.
    I think i should be okay with predictions and maths was 90 ums Core 1, 76 ums core 2, and 68 umd D1

ReputationRep:
    I think i should be okay with predictions and maths was 90 ums Core 1, 76 ums core 2, and 68 umd D1
    You'll need to resit C2 as well, most likely, seeing how C3 and C4 are harder.
    Bristol want an A in Maths, and for me, they asked for an A in Economics too.
    So you stand a decent chance, it's just about making sure that you can boost that chance as much as possible.
    A good PS and a reference to match are definitely needed.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to resit C2 as well, most likely, seeing how C3 and C4 are harder.
    Bristol want an A in Maths, and for me, they asked for an A in Economics too.
    So you stand a decent chance, it's just about making sure that you can boost that chance as much as possible.
    A good PS and a reference to match are definitely needed.
    Thanks, and yeah i was thinking about resitting C2 as well, I think for this year it was a combination of physics dragging me down and being unlucky with C2, but do you think that resitting 3 exams would hinder my performance at A2?- got a 76 in Macroeconomics this year

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, and yeah i was thinking about resitting C2 as well, I think for this year it was a combination of physics dragging me down and being unlucky with C2, but do you think that resitting 3 exams would hinder my performance at A2?- got a 76 in Macroeconomics this year
    3 exams aren't too many to resit, and the ones you're planning on doing mean it's not even as bad as that.
    C2- C3 and C4 will both cover topics in C2 (Trig, Calculus) so that should mean if you master C3+C4, you'll have no real trouble with C2. Only a few hours of revision necessary.
    Macro A2 builds on AS stuff, so that should be the same as above.
    Which means you only need to revise D1, and even then, that's about mastering past papers.
    I take it Physics revision got in the way of maths and econ revision?

ReputationRep:
    Gonna be self-studying AQA Economics A2 this year, any tips?

ReputationRep:
    3 exams aren't too many to resit, and the ones you're planning on doing mean it's not even as bad as that.
    C2- C3 and C4 will both cover topics in C2 (Trig, Calculus) so that should mean if you master C3+C4, you'll have no real trouble with C2. Only a few hours of revision necessary.
    Macro A2 builds on AS stuff, so that should be the same as above.
    Which means you only need to revise D1, and even then, that's about mastering past papers.
    I take it Physics revision got in the way of maths and econ revision?
    yeah pretty much, because both my physics teachers were absolutely awful, they'd tell me the wrong answers to questions and i screwed up on the particle side of things to be honest. I put econ on a backseat because i knew it didn't need as much attention as the rest and with maths i underestimated how they'd make the exams this year for edexcel so

ReputationRep:
    yeah pretty much, because both my physics teachers were absolutely awful, they'd tell me the wrong answers to questions and i screwed up on the particle side of things to be honest. I put econ on a backseat because i knew it didn't need as much attention as the rest and with maths i underestimated how they'd make the exams this year for edexcel so
    Which physics board?
    It's okay with econ, your micro saved you, but maths is more important than econ so you have to prioritise that above all your subjects, but not so much that it's detrimental. It's a fine balancing act.

ReputationRep:
    Which physics board?
    It's okay with econ, your micro saved you, but maths is more important than econ so you have to prioritise that above all your subjects, but not so much that it's detrimental. It's a fine balancing act.
    AQA A in past papers I was getting a/b ish in unit 1 and straight A's in unit 2, but in the exam I got a D in unit 1 and an A in unit 2 lol, unit 1 was just highly unlucky because it was a lot of the stuff that I didn't understand because i had no one to explain it to me properly

ReputationRep:
    There's a thread for 2016 entry Economics applicants here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3419901 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.