The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DragonEmily
Hello I'm going through my UCAS application this month and I really want to make sure that I stand a chance for an interview .I didn't do as well as expected in my UKCAT exam and I don't have the greatest grades. I got a total of 1850/2700 which gives an average of 617 on my UKCAT and for IGCSE i have 1 A* 4 A and 3 B. I also have so far a Greek A level grade A and an AS maths A*. My predictions lie somewhere between Maths A* Biology A* Chemistry A and Physics B.I have a lot of volunteering work with people and children with disabilities, generally nurseries, deaf people and I have also shadowed doctors and helped in the ER for a month. I also had an internship at a hospital abroad in which I observed surgeries for a month. :/ I've also lived with my grandparents for about 9 years which I took care of them since they had many health problems. In addition, no one from my family has studied at a university or higher degree of education.

I really want to study medicine because it's fascinating to me and I love caring for people but I don't think my grades can take me there.
Do I even stand a chance?

Hi, your ukcat is only slightly below average (roughly) but that rules out ukcat heavy unis: Southampton and Kings. You can also look at the bmat and consider that (though it maybe time consuming but in the end worth it).

As for your academics: gcses, apply to universities that consider a*s equal to a's such as Liverpool. You also seem to have extenuating circumstances so let your school know so your chosen universities are aware.

Your predictions are superb (so long as you meet them) so apply to universities which regard predictions highly i.e over given grades. Also look at heavy personal statement unis such as Bristol and PERFECT your personal statement to give you an edge.

Lastly, don't give up on medicine if its really what you want to do. On TSR everyone is above average so don't compare yourself with 'the average' on here. Also look at the university websites yourself as you know your credentials best.

Good luck and if you need any further help message me :smile:
Original post by seenkoreanb4?
Ok, hello guys
I took test few weeks ago, and SJT have been bugging the hell out of me

Result

VR= 580 (SH**)
QR= 830 (Well asian perk lol)
AR= 770
avg= 726.7
SJT= Band 3 (well..)
I want to apply for Medicine Kings College... and I do IB, and predicted is not out yet so, still doing my best!

Band 3 is poor, and I don't know what to expect, any guidance..?

Thank you!

Congrats on you're amazing ukcat score! If you are an international student competition is fierce so not only will you're ukcat have to be phenomenal so will your IB, predicted grades and GCSE equivalent. That said your excellent ukcat score will counteract your below average SJT. It's very unlikely to get an interview with band 4 at kings (not impossible) but band 3 and a good ukcat score leaves you with a running chance.
Good luck :smile:
Hi I just did my UKCAT and I got 650 VR (very dissapointed as it was my strongest part), 740 QR and 650 AR (unreal guessing luck) so total 2040 680 avg.

My gcses were poor at 1 A* 10 A's and a B and for AS for the 2 offical exams I took i got a B in Latin and a B in Psychology (remarking) .
I will be able to persuade my school to predict AAA (I am capable of it but my alis test predictions suggest otherwise).

I really want to apply to ST. andrews for medicine but Im looking for other options as well that may suit my stats. I only plan to apply for 2 medicine this year and have 3 medical science backup's but I am also applying to buckingham university for medicine.

My extracurriculars are (not to sound arrogant) pretty good:
Grade 5 piano,
Self taught guitar, bass guitar, drums
Psychology of criminal profiling diploma
Brown belt Karate
County golfer _ 1st team (women's) and Junior squad
county junior captain (golf) and club junior captain
Former England squad player
British sign language certificate

School extra curriculars;
Orchestra
Prefect
Head of House
Latin tutor

Work experience:
8 days Pediatrics
1 day opthalmology
1 day enablement clinic
1 day ENT
1 day Audiology
(in novemeber) day or 2 in Neurosurgery
6 months in care home with school (2 hours a week)
Events first aider for the Red Cross
Volunteer at christmas wrapping presents for the homeless

Please can anyone give any advice :smile: would be greatly appreciated?
Original post by &Hope
people that have done these mocks in the link.... how did you find them?????? ( not the extended vestions)

http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/menu.aspx?pack=2a35c9e1-ef11-449f-9762-3d5a3692550f

Ridiculously hard and unrealistic (exc. verbal) and not even timed. If i were you use medify timed practice - select 40 questions each time.
Original post by Sehajdeep
Hi people .. I am an international student , i got 630 band 2 in ukcat which i have learnt isnt very good . Would some one know if i have chance at Exeter , dundee , queens belfast and nottingham . I am being specific because these are the only few universities that accept indian education . Thankyou for your time .

It isn't a bad score, it is simply average. Have you looked at the bmat as that might be best suited to you and you may end up with a more competitive score? Check on the bmat university websites entry requirements to see if they will accept indian education aswell.
Original post by medic99
Congrats on you're amazing ukcat score! If you are an international student competition is fierce so not only will you're ukcat have to be phenomenal so will your IB, predicted grades and GCSE equivalent. That said your excellent ukcat score will counteract your below average SJT. It's very unlikely to get an interview with band 4 at kings (not impossible) but band 3 and a good ukcat score leaves you with a running chance.

Sorry for keep bothering you!!
Thankyou for your advise!

I did igcse which are;
3 A* 2A 3B

And I am targeting IB predicted around 40~42 (including tok&EE)
How does it look..?
Thank you so much
Original post by medic99
Ridiculously hard and unrealistic (exc. verbal) and not even timed. If i were you use medify timed practice - select 40 questions each time.

Hello,*

So VR on the official UKCAT website is realistic to the actual test?*
Original post by seenkoreanb4?
Ok, hello guys
I took test few weeks ago, and SJT have been bugging the hell out of me

Result

VR= 580 (SH**)
QR= 830 (Well asian perk lol)
AR= 770
avg= 726.7
SJT= Band 3 (well..)
I want to apply for Medicine Kings College... and I do IB, and predicted is not out yet so, still doing my best!

Band 3 is poor, and I don't know what to expect, any guidance..?

Thank you!

Undergrad?

Your score is very good. Though I know that Kings also looks at the SJT, so you may want to call them and ask :-)*
Original post by 123ash
Undergrad?

Your score is very good. Though I know that Kings also looks at the SJT, so you may want to call them and ask :-)*

Thank you for the advise! :h:
Original post by Jitesh
Yeah, they havent announced what percentage of the mark you get but I would be suprised if it wasn't 0.33-0.5

Groovy thanks *
Original post by &Hope
in the 1000q book (I'm assuming you're talking about the iscmedical one right?), go to pages 617-619, it tells you there how they mark it and the range of marks each band would be.

Thanks so much!*
Original post by medic99

I did those on medify... they're good
but on this website have you done the timed mocks?... there're 4 of them and 3 untimed

the same link:
http://practice.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/menu.aspx?pack=2a35c9e1-ef11-449f-9762-3d5a3692550f
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123ash
Hello,*

So VR on the official UKCAT website is realistic to the actual test?*

For me and many others, yes.
Original post by &Hope
I did those on medify... they're good
but on this website have you done the timed mocks?... there're 4 of them and 3 untimed

the same link:

I actually did do them timed now that i remember. But they are still unrealistic. What isn't timed is the practice questions.
Original post by medic99

if you did do any of the timed one, or if you didn't, don't you think AR is really hard... they give the most random patterns.... I've been told to use the 1000q book and maybe medify to practice AB and the patterns on this website are soo different

have you done your exam? if you did how did you find QR?

sorry for asking too many questions it's just I got my exam tomorrow and I'm getting really bad scores:frown:
Original post by medic99

Loads of people have been saying the passages in the actual exam were a lot longer than the ones in mock exams though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by &Hope
if you did do any of the timed one, or if you didn't, don't you think AR is really hard... they give the most random patterns.... I've been told to use the 1000q book and maybe medify to practice AB and the patterns on this website are soo different

have you done your exam? if you did how did you find QR?

sorry for asking too many questions it's just I got my exam tomorrow and I'm getting really bad scores:frown:

No problem. I've done my exam and want to help others.

I used medify, which by far is the best resource out there. I bought all the books (including 1000q book) and regret wasting my parents money lol.
The books:
a) aren't timed
b) isn't a computer screen so you will read faster from books anyway
c) isn't in the correct format of the exam
so the books are a waste of time to simulate the real thing but are mediocre to learn from, though online resources are far better.
I got 740 in QR and in the medify mocks got in the 500's in all. The real thing isn't marked as harshly as the mocks so don't worry about scores, IGNORE THEM. just practice fast mental maths or get used to numlock calculator.

For advise on AR read my other posts a couple of pages earlier. Good luck :smile:
Original post by ASTK98
Loads of people have been saying the passages in the actual exam were a lot longer than the ones in mock exams though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe they said excluding VR earlier on
Original post by medic99

Thanks
Well that went horrifically but I didn't do as bad as I thought...
VR 640
QR 750
AR 680
SJT Band 1
So average 690
I'm applying to Bristol, Exeter, Leicester and Cardiff, with 8A*s 2A's , 4 A's at As , do you think I have a good chance at getting interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending