Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    No, that is mocking disabled people. If you find that funny then you're a vile individual.
    Why is it not okay to mock a disabled person but okay to mock anyone else? Your position is a very patronising one, as if just because someone is disabled, they must be incapable of taking a joke. It wasn't a mean joke, it wasn't offensive, it merely noted that the person had no arms or legs and quite frankly were I in his position I'd rather have people who would have a laugh with me than people who seem to think that because I have a disability I am somehow less human than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    That's not even funny TBH.
    I'm sure the man himself would appreciate the joke because unlike you, he maintains a positive outlook and doesn't take himself very seriously… It's just you lefties who think they must ‘save’ everybody even a little handicapped by trying to tell others what to think and say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Why is it not okay to mock a disabled person but not to mock anyone else? Your position is a very patronising one, as if just because someone is disabled, they must be incapable of taking a joke. It wasn't a mean joke, it wasn't offensive, it merely noted that the person had no arms or legs and quite frankly were I in his position I'd rather have people who would have a laugh with me than people who seem to think that because I have a disability I am somehow less human than anyone else.
    It will always be a controversial topic, as people will interpret the joke in different ways. I personally saw it as offensive, although I'm aware that many people would see it as merely a joke.

TBH I don't care what you say or do - this is a free country, and I support your freedom of speech.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I'm sure the man himself would appreciate the joke because unlike you, he maintains a positive outlook and doesn't take himself very seriously… It's just you lefties who think they must ‘save’ everybody even a little handicapped by trying to tell others what to think and say.
    Maybe he would. People have personal tastes. Haha, I wholeheartedly support freedom of speech so I don't care what any of you post. It would be a crying shame if we controlled what people thought and said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Tell me one joke that isn't mocking some form of misfortune, preferably a funny one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You shouldn't be laughing at others' misfortunes. I wouldn't try to stop you, but I just hope you realise that's a tad twisted.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It will always be a controversial topic, as people will interpret the joke in different ways. I personally saw it as offensive, although I'm aware that many people would see it as merely a joke.

TBH I don't care what you say or do - this is a free country, and I support your freedom of speech.
    Why is it offensive though? There was nothing insulting, it merely drew attention to the fact that he had a disability, and it was implying that the only way you'd find a man who wouldn't lay a finger on you or walk away from you is to find someone who literally couldn't possibly do those things. This joke was more "offensive" to men than disabled people, yet I haven't seen any one of us take issue with that at all. Disabled people are no less people than able people, I thought you lefties liked equality.

ReputationRep:
    It's just an armless joke. :lol::lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    PRSOM
    I repeat everything I said to whiggy to you.

(Original post by tengentoppa)
    ****ing brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it offensive though? There was nothing insulting, it merely drew attention to the fact that he had a disability, and it was implying that the only way you'd find a man who wouldn't lay a finger on you or walk away from you is to find someone who literally couldn't possibly do those things. This joke was more "offensive" to men than disabled people, yet I haven't seen any one of us take issue with that at all. Disabled people are no less people than able people, I thought you lefties liked equality.
    LOL, claiming to champion equality when it's the very thing you despise. How hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    K. :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    LOL, claiming to champion equality when it's the very thing you despise. How hypocritical.
    I'm all for equality, it's actually very important to me, I don't treat any section of society different to how I treat any other section of society. I just don't believe that equality has anything really to do with wealth.

It is nice to see you running tangential to the topic at hand though, a clear indication of the winner of the debate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for equality, it's actually very important to me, I don't treat any section of society different to how I treat any other section of society. I just don't believe that equality has anything really to do with wealth.

It is nice to see you running tangential to the topic at hand though, a clear indication of the winner of the debate.
    Next you'll be tricking us into thinking you're LGBT+ or something...

I'm not running from the topic; I feel that the post implies that disabled people don't leave relationships. That in itself is discriminatory, but if you dig deeper it insinuates that disabled people don't have the same standards as everyone else. That's just my interpretation, though, and I understand that others will have different views.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Next you'll be tricking us into thinking you're LGBT+ or something...

I'm not running from the topic; I feel that the post implies that disabled people don't leave relationships. That in itself is discriminatory, but if you dig deeper it insinuates that disabled people don't have the same standards as everyone else. That's just my interpretation, though, and I understand that others will have different views.
    Haha, I'm bi.

If that's what you feel the post implies then the picture isn't the problem, it's your comprehension skills.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm bi.

If that's what you feel the post implies then the picture isn't the problem, it's your comprehension skills.
    Oh. My. God. I'm sorry.

My comprehension skills aren't a problem; the way I interpret things are integral to who I am. I'm glad that we all interpret things differently.

ReputationRep:
    On a ligher note I think I am finally getting into Blurryface by Twenty One Pilots

ReputationRep:
    Lime-man I'm so tired of petty squabbles with you. Truce?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    On a ligher note I think I am finally getting into Blurryface by Twenty One Pilots
    I haven't listened to it, I must admit. I'll go and listen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lime-man I'm so tired of petty squabbles with you. Truce?
    No, I'm enjoying calling people out on their ****

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm enjoying calling people out on their ****
    Fine, whatever...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.