The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

Announcements

Just spent at least an hour looking at rooms on the St John's system now... It's all a little bit too confusing for my little mind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Just spent at least an hour looking at rooms on the St John's system now... It's all a little bit too confusing for my little mind...
    It's just called "John's". "St John's" is a college at the Other Place.

(Original post by jneill)
    It's just called "John's". "St John's" is a college at the Other Place.
    I don't get it. Anyways, does it look like I care? It's on their stationery and all over their website.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    The only thing you should decide is if you want pay extra to get en suite or OK with shared bathroom to be economical. (Unless John's so dirty rich that they offer en suite to all first years...)
    The quality/standard of first years accomm at johns is reputed to be one of the best at Cambridge, so I think you'll be fine with any choice. Whatever you get, you'll get used to it and feel home very soon.
    And once the hard work starts to get going, things about your accomm is the last thing that occupies your mind.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Good luck with the accomm for second year onwards. You may need it.

(Original post by vincrows)
    The only thing you should decide is if you want pay extra to get en suite or OK with shared bathroom to be economical. (Unless John's so dirty rich that they offer en suite to all first years...)
    The quality/standard of first years accomm at johns is reputed to be one of the best at Cambridge, so I think you'll be fine with any choice. Whatever you get, you'll get used to it and feel home very soon.
    And once the hard work starts to get going, things about your accomm is the last thing that occupies your mind.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks.
    You also get the choice of single room or double set, and there's the choice of location, Cripps, one of about six courts or hostels.
    But you are right that it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    You also get the choice of single room or double set, and there's the choice of location, Cripps, one of about six courts or hostels.
    But you are right that it doesn't really matter.
    Crisps looks horrible from outside, but heard it's quite good inside.

If you value privacy a lot, it may be safer to go for a single room, even it means you'll have to share a bathroom with other people. (Unless you go for en suite)

I know someone at johns who got a room in a double set with weird room arrangement. Each student had their own bedroom of course, but one of them had to walk through the other's room to go to the bathroom. And the wall between two bedrooms were not very thick, so could hear the noise from the other room quite well.
    it was in her third year, so not sure what first years double sets are like, but one possibility you can bear in mind.

ReputationRep:

If you value privacy a lot, it may be safer to go for a single room, even it means you'll have to share a bathroom with other people. (Unless you go for en suite)

I know someone at johns who got a room in a double set with weird room arrangement. Each student had their own bedroom of course, but one of them had to walk through the other's room to go to the bathroom. And the wall between two bedrooms were not very thick, so could hear the noise from the other room quite well.
    it was in her third year, so not sure what first years double sets are like, but one possibility you can bear in mind.
    I think shared sets are still reasonably common at a few colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I think shared sets are still reasonably common at a few colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I know.
    Double sets had have bee around for a long time but especially after mid-80s, many of old colleges in central location had to cope with a sudden increase of student number very quickly, so they had to divided up larger rooms to make up multiple sets. And some of those sets have a weird design because of the location of ithe original room's size/shape and location of its bathroom.
    I just mentioned it to him about a John's case I know of because OP is going to John's.
    And almost all old, beautiful looking colleges in the centre have one or two really ugly modern accommodations, too, mainly built in late-60s/70s. And you're almost bound to live in one of them at least a year during your course.

I actually wrote this in my post you quoted, but deleted it as I thought it's a bit too long.
    Been trying not to build too many walls of text!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which rooms in the ballot go the quickest?

ReputationRep:

This was the arrangement for my ex-boyfriend in his second year, and was the setup for most of the sets in New Court (the fairy castle one). We had to walk through his roommate's room to get into/out of the set and to use the kitchen, roommate had to walk into ex-bf's room to go to the bathroom. Awkward on both sides! He got a fantastic set to himself in 3rd year though. Cripps has been renovated since he was there, so can't comment on how nice it is internally these days - it was...ok... back then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    This was the arrangement for my ex-boyfriend in his second year, and was the setup for most of the sets in New Court (the fairy castle one). We had to walk through his roommate's room to get into/out of the set and to use the kitchen, roommate had to walk into ex-bf's room to go to the bathroom. Awkward on both sides! He got a fantastic set to himself in 3rd year though. Cripps has been renovated since he was there, so can't comment on how nice it is internally these days - it was...ok... back then.
    Lol that's exactly she told me. Don't know which accomm but it was in her third year, and was the worst room she'd had at Cambridge.
    She didn't have a boyfriend but her roommate did. She said it was so awkward having to go through her friend's room when the boyfriend was staying with her. Never sure if it's a good timing to go to the toilet!
    So while her friends at other colleges had a nice spacious single room with en suite, that was what she had to cope with.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Homerton has ensuite for all first years I think.
    Does that mean we have more money then trinity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    It means Homerton was founded quite recently (in Cambridge standard) and became a Cambridge college even more recently that they could build their accommodation to meet the modern need = more student numbers and more student expects to have en suite.
    Older colleges had to deal with the rapid increase of student numbers post 70s very quickly, so they had to divide some of their bigger rooms into a few smaller rooms with a shared bathroom of the original room. Also, they'd always had a double set with a shared bathroom for a long time already, so first years may be allocated to those rooms.

Modern colleges may not have some gorgeous rooms with lots of history like old colleges, but they often have more modern (obviously) , better equipped rooms that's suited to modern students need.
    Many old colleges have ugly looking modern accommodation building or two, too, as they had to increase the number of accommodation significantly in late 60s & 70s.
    Many colleges still are building/planning to build more accommodation even now, as they're getting more students, esp PG.

And the quality/standard of first year accommodation may not necessarily be a good indicator of what to come in later years, as I've said many time.

ReputationRep:
    Homerton may not have as much money as Trinity but they're still ****ing rolling in it.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Colleges...y_of_Cambridge

Also accommodation gets better as you go to 2nd and 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Homerton may not have as much money as Trinity but they're still ****ing rolling in it.

So is ensuite pretty much guaranteed for 2nd and 3rd (if i want it, which I do).

ReputationRep:
    So is ensuite pretty much guaranteed for 2nd and 3rd (if i want it, which I do).
    (Original post by alow)

Wow, i knew trinity were loaded but over £1 billion in assets is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Wow, i knew trinity were loaded but over £1 billion in assets is crazy.
    St Johns is balling too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newnham actually have quite a bit of money for a female college...not bad at all...

ReputationRep:
    Not for 2nd but if you don't get ensuite the rooms are really nice, I was there last year. Although they are renovating a block this year so that may be some more ensuite than there currently is.

3rd years get priority for choosing their rooms, if you pick ensuite you'll definitely be in the nicest accommodation block.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Newnham actually have quite a bit of money for a female college...not bad at all...
    Newnham is lovely, and their garden party (which I think is on again this year) is amazing value.

The buildings and gardens are really nice.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 17, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.