The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
I thought Branca has control of transfers anyway, so the manager's position being available doesn't matter so much.
Yes that's right but the split isn't as clear cut as often presented. Had Bielsa been appointed then the demands of a 3-3-1-3 are very different from Capello's 4-4-2 which itself is different from Spalletti's 4-5-1 or van Gaal's/Boas' 4-4-3. So the choice of players depends on the tactician.
cunningstunt87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
van Gaal's/Boas' 4-4-3.
I know Fifa is corrupt but someone surely needs to be investigating this!!
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess as a Porto fan I should feel gutted, upset, angry and every other word like that with AVB leaving Porto after saying he’d be staying last month, but I’m not. What he’s managed to do with Porto in one season is brilliant and has been able to get the best out of our team. He came in, won 4 trophies, have them two massive wins at the Luz and just generally gave us fans a year to remember. The energy of the guy is great, the emotion he brings to each game is equally as great and all round he has been a great manager, even if it’s only been one season. Obviously it would have been nice to see how he could have done in the CL with Porto and if he could have repeated what JM achieved but I’ve been supporting Porto for long enough now to be able to accept the big guys leave when an offer from abroad comes in and you can’t blame them for leaving and wanting to try at a higher level. And just like how I like to see Jose do well whichever team he manages, the same with apply to AVB and best of luck to him! I know some Porto fans want him to go rot in hell and become nothing big now, but what ar..seholes!

Anyway, we get a nice hefty bundle of cash for it, and now with AVB gone, Jorge Mendes (Falcao’s agent) has said that the player has told him he wants to leave, and Jorge Mendes is a guy who will get nothing but the absolute most money that can possibly be done in a deal. Already Moutinho has been linked to Chelsea. and we’d probably take 25-30m for Joao, as 25% of it will go to Sporting so we’ll be trying to get the upper end of 30m for him... it’ll be a summer of making money and now with AVB gone I now expect the big guys to follow.

It's been confirmed that Vitor Pereria will be our new manager, i'm quite happy with that as the only other guy i'd like to see manage us would have been Domingos, but that would have been very unlikely with just joining Sporting, so Vitor will be best. If there’s anyone who knows how this team works after AVB it’ll be him..and with already having a bond with the players, hopefully he can persuade them to stay!
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
I guess as a Porto fan I should feel gutted, upset, angry and every other word like that with AVB leaving Porto after saying he’d be staying last month, but I’m not. What he’s managed to do with Porto in one season is brilliant and has been able to get the best out of our team. He came in, won 4 trophies, have them two massive wins at the Luz and just generally gave us fans a year to remember. The energy of the guy is great, the emotion he brings to each game is equally as great and all round he has been a great manager, even if it’s only been one season. Obviously it would have been nice to see how he could have done in the CL with Porto and if he could have repeated what JM achieved but I’ve been supporting Porto for long enough now to be able to accept the big guys leave when an offer from abroad comes in and you can’t blame them for leaving and wanting to try at a higher level. And just like how I like to see Jose do well whichever team he manages, the same with apply to AVB and best of luck to him! I know some Porto fans want him to go rot in hell and become nothing big now, but what ar..seholes!

Anyway, we get a nice hefty bundle of cash for it, and now with AVB gone, Jorge Mendes (Falcao’s agent) has said that the player has told him he wants to leave, and Jorge Mendes is a guy who will get nothing but the absolute most money that can possibly be done in a deal. Already Moutinho has been linked to Chelsea. and we’d probably take 25-30m for Joao, as 25% of it will go to Sporting so we’ll be trying to get the upper end of 30m for him... it’ll be a summer of making money and now with AVB gone I now expect the big guys to follow.

It's been confirmed that Vitor Pereria will be our new manager, i'm quite happy with that as the only other guy i'd like to see manage us would have been Domingos, but that would have been very unlikely with just joining Sporting, so Vitor will be best. If there’s anyone who knows how this team works after AVB it’ll be him..and with already having a bond with the players, hopefully he can persuade them to stay!

I'm sorry dude :mad:
ra-ra-ra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
I'm sorry dude :mad:

Ah, don't be! It's fine! I mean, it's how Porto work! Sell our best and to get £13m for a manager is quite something! Ha. The only thing i would have loved to see would have been how he'd do for us in the CL, but now we'll have to wait to see how Chelsea do in the CL instead. Anyway, he no longer has his no2 besides him and i would LOVE a Porto vs Chelsea CL game now! This is obviously if he goes to Chelsea after all this..
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sergio Aguero is set to snub Chelsea and join Italian giants Juventus.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep Juventus have been very confident about getting him for a few days proclaiming it would be a "big jump in quality" when he joins. Juve have something like £100m to spend this year. With Milan continuing under the tutelage of the fantastic Allegri, Inter - managerless for now but still packed full of champions, Juve spending big, and Roma with an exciting young coach and an owner willing to spend, Serie A looks hot again! Give it two seasons...

Worth mentioning Napoli and Udinese too, who have played some of the most attractive football in Europe.
MTR_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep Juventus have been very confident about getting him for a few days proclaiming it would be a "big jump in quality" when he joins. Juve have something like £100m to spend this year. With Milan continuing under the tutelage of the fantastic Allegri, Inter - managerless for now but still packed full of champions, Juve spending big, and Roma with an exciting young coach and an owner willing to spend, Serie A looks hot again! Give it two seasons...

Worth mentioning Napoli and Udinese too, who have played some of the most attractive football in Europe.
Sanchez is on his way though surely?

What do you think about Fiorentina? I've only recently started looking at Serie A.
MTR_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
At least your (Portugese) club is committed to developing Portugese managers insteading of plucking the best from around the world. Shame on the English again.
L18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Madness.

Surely he wants to play CL football?

Maybe his godfather has had a word in his ear about the cocaine in italy.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MTR_10)
Sanchez is on his way though surely?

What do you think about Fiorentina? I've only recently started looking at Serie A.
Sanchez is off to Barcelona although that has yet to be confirmed. The fee is supposed to be 28m Euros plus a 10m bonus, according to those in the know.

Udinese were far from a one man team. In fact Sanchez was poor in the earlier stages of the season and only improved once he was brought into the centre.The hype is justified but Udinese have plenty of other good players and their good form was as much dependent on their fluid style of play as on one player. Asamoah, Inler, Di Natale, Zapata, Isla... there is plenty of talent there.
I expect them to struggle in their first Champions League in however long though. I doubt they'll get past the group stage.

Fiorentina on the other hand have a good young coach in Mihajlovic. They were a bit disappointing this season but they were deprived of their talisman, Jovetic. Ljalic has improved a lot and looks to be a good talent (Man Utd had a first option on him at one point).
Their real star has been Montolivo who has been aggressively linked to other clubs, particularly Inter. If they can hang onto him, and other big names like Frey and Gilardino, then with one or two good signings they could well be a Champions League side next year.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Fiorentina on the other hand have a good young coach in Mihajlovic.
Is he definitely not taking the Inter job? And who else is in the frame for it?

Juve have finalised permanent deals for Motta, Quagliarella, Matri and Pepe.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is he definitely not taking the Inter job? And who else is in the frame for it?

Juve have finalised permanent deals for Motta, Quagliarella, Matri and Pepe.
The simple truth is we don't know. Moratti's consistent response has been "I don't know anything, ask Branca. We will decide by the end of the week." He has been extremely elusive. He has only commented on Boas ("We are not going to pay 15m"), Gasperini ("We made an initial enquiry") and Mihajlovic ("We will not pursue a coach who is under contract").

This last claim seems odd given that they did pursue Boas.

Branca meanwhile has denied that an approach was ever made for Capello (despite the claims of his agent son) and otherwise been silent on any names. He has also reiterated the fact Inter will choose by the end of the week.

I think Hiddink and Spalletti are favourites. Hiddink isn't enjoying his time in Turkey and Spalletti has done well in Russia and did exceptionally with limited resources, building one of the most compelling sides of the past decade at Roma.

Another name to come out this afternoon is Atletico's Quique Sanchez Flores, who might view Aguero's departure as a sign of lowering ambition.

We will have to wait and see but for now all rumours are just speculation.

And yes, Juve spending big to retain players. They will probably spend £30m more after these players and Aguero.
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh and Mihajlovic has come out and declared his future is with la viola. The only reason he has been linked so strongly is because he has come out in past years and said it is his personal ambition to coach Inter during his career. He said that last year after Mourinho left. For now I think he stays in Florence.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aren't Spalletti and Hiddink under contract too, thus ridiculing their stance on contracted coaches?

Juve are spending big to get fans into their new stadium, it's why they're moving for Aguero, a 'marquee' signing to start the new era.
ra-ra-ra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MTR_10)
At least your (Portugese) club is committed to developing Portugese managers insteading of plucking the best from around the world. Shame on the English again.
Still only 42 too, so not too old, but sort of the age of a manager.
Anyway, Vitor has a release clause of €18m so if anyone fancies snapping him up if he goes on to do well for us will have to pay that. Vitor also said that AVB did ask for him to go to Chelsea with him but becoming the full manager of Porto was more exicting.
JK.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just a little heads up for any insomniacs, 2nd leg of the Copa Libertadores final - Peñarol vs Santos, starts in just under an hour. First leg ended 0-0 so it's still all to play for.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
History will be made.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JK.)
Just a little heads up for any insomniacs, 2nd leg of the Copa Libertadores final - Peñarol vs Santos, starts in just under an hour. First leg ended 0-0 so it's still all to play for.
Is it on TV or?
JK.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it on TV or?
According to Sky Planner it's on channel 433, Premier Sports, if you've got that? It'll be streamed on a few betting sites too - I'll probably watch it on Bet365 if I'm still awake.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.86%
No (661)
60.81%
Not really bothered about them (221)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise