Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I had my first day on the PGCE yesterday. We were bombarded with an incredible amount of information, and I get the impression that professional studies is going to be very dry. We spent the afternoon with the science department, however, which was much more interesting and enjoyable. I think I'll enjoy the subject studies part of the course. Still no news on my placement school, though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I had my first day on the PGCE yesterday. We were bombarded with an incredible amount of information, and I get the impression that professional studies is going to be very dry. We spent the afternoon with the science department, however, which was much more interesting and enjoyable. I think I'll enjoy the subject studies part of the course. Still no news on my placement school, though...
    My advice is make the most of professional studies- take the chance to talk to your peers about your educational principles, ideas about childhood etc. If you understand and form these ideas well they will be great as a starting point for your career.

Subject sessions are very helpful in practice and exciting (I felt almost like I was going back to school!) but subject content will always change and ideas are available in lots of places. It's much harder to find opportunities to discuss principles of education with groups of other professionals, especially tutors who are experts. I'd recommend noting down (in shorthand-don't spend ages unless you feel you want to reflect more) interesting things you notice in practice to discuss at your next PS session as bringing real examples really helps stimulate the interesting discussion and make it all more relevant.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What lovely words of encouragement :-) I have just started my PGCE - I've had one week of lectures and seminars! So far, I love it. I am after a little advise though, I have a tutorial on Tuesday where I am to discuss my 'targets for Development' We are to identify three targets and discuss them with our tutor. I don't really know what is meant by this - they say the targets should be 'challenging and precise' and I will need to say what I will do to reach them and how I will know these targets have been met - do you have an example of what I should be writing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiverileys)
    What lovely words of encouragement :-) I have just started my PGCE - I've had one week of lectures and seminars! So far, I love it. I am after a little advise though, I have a tutorial on Tuesday where I am to discuss my 'targets for Development' We are to identify three targets and discuss them with our tutor. I don't really know what is meant by this - they say the targets should be 'challenging and precise' and I will need to say what I will do to reach them and how I will know these targets have been met - do you have an example of what I should be writing??
    Do you know about three "SMART" idea for targets... They should be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timed.

I find it really tough to stick to these but it does help make the whole thing a lot clearer! Chances are your uni will have a form to full in with targets which will lead you to these things anyway. Basically you want something precise, state how you are going to achieve it including support you need and when by.

It's tough at this point as you haven't started teaching yet, there are so many targets it's hard to choose some and know how you'll achieve them. So I think they'll probably give you lots of support in choosing and writing them at this stage

Example:

To be able to use my voice effectively.
    Children will respond to changes in my tone of voice, mentors will note use of voice in observations.
    I will observe other teachers using voice, discuss user of voice with my class teacher, practice my tones of voice out of class and note what works after each lesson.
    Achieved by Xmas.

Ok that one wasn't very specific lol... It's easier to set specific goals for children than yourself :P

Another example:

To use peer assessment at least once a day.
    Will be noted on plans and observed by mentor.
    I will observe other teachers' peer assessment methods, read about ideas in x book.
    Achieved by October half term.

Things in general that you might want to work on at this stage are setting behaviour boundaries, developing a relationship with the children, getting timings right, including essential elements in your lessons, learning marking procedures.

Things like whole class assessment, adapting plans well, supporting SEN will probably come later in the year

Hope this helps a little. Overall, don't panic, they will support you and it will get easier as you go along as you'll have targets from lesson observations to work on. For now just think about what you are nervous about and how you can get better at that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your help - I like your example of using your voice effectively. I hadn't heard of SMART but I googled and watched a power point presentation on it which was very good.

I think at this stage, I will just set targets for myself based around Uni work, which will be gaining knowledge and understanding of the Teaching Standards and setting myself smaller achievable goals as I am a bit bogged down with family life and workload already so I guess devising a 'doable' timetable my be my first target!

I am not out on placement till after Easter as I am doing the part time course.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiverileys)
    Thank you so much for your help - I like your example of using your voice effectively. I hadn't heard of SMART but I googled and watched a power point presentation on it which was very good.

I think at this stage, I will just set targets for myself based around Uni work, which will be gaining knowledge and understanding of the Teaching Standards and setting myself smaller achievable goals as I am a bit bogged down with family life and workload already so I guess devising a 'doable' timetable my be my first target!

I am not out on placement till after Easter as I am doing the part time course.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated
    Ah yes that sounds perfect!

Yes definitely make then doable and don't be afraid to give yourself plenty of time to achieve them. If you get it done sooner you always can set a new target, if it's not dove you have to explain why!

There are loads of techniques and ideas eg learning theories to learn about, plus curriculum knowledge, so there should be plenty to choose from

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I feel so much better now. Thank you everso much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    How does it work for you then??
    Sorry, only just seen this! We are in uni for 2 and a half weeks, induction at school on the final of those weeks for one day. Then have orientation in school for 3 weeks, back to uni, then school again for main block. :-) That's first placement anyway! I'm in school for my induction next Wednesday!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Sorry, only just seen this! We are in uni for 2 and a half weeks, induction at school on the final of those weeks for one day. Then have orientation in school for 3 weeks, back to uni, then school again for main block. :-) That's first placement anyway! I'm in school for my induction next Wednesday!!
    Ooh nice. The kids were hard work this afternoon, really giddy. The Friday fever clearly hit them.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh nice. The kids were hard work this afternoon, really giddy. The Friday fever clearly hit them.
    Uh oh! What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, first uni day, received our star documents etc, already half thinking arghh, there's so much to do! But I know the rule is slow and steady wins the race so it's just a case of being organised and careful and making sure I do stuff in plenty of time!

ReputationRep:
    Uh oh! What year are you in?
    Year 2 at the minute, they're a bit too young for me, ideal year would probably be 3 or 4! I taught a computing class today with 6 of them and it was hard to keep them engaged.

ReputationRep:
    Year 2 at the minute, they're a bit too young for me, ideal year would probably be 3 or 4! I taught a computing class today with 6 of them and it was hard to keep them engaged.
    Yeah I can see what you mean! I'm based in year 2 for my first placement. I'm excited but so worried as well!

ReputationRep:
    Had my first full week at uni for my Primary PGCE, so much to take in but I have really enjoyed it so far! It felt really surreal the first day or two but now I have really got into it. There has been SO much information to try and take in but the lecturers are amazing and some of the lectures/seminars have been different to anything I've seen/done before

Now I am just very tired!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I can see what you mean! I'm based in year 2 for my first placement. I'm excited but so worried as well!
    It's quite a good year to be honest. I just wouldn't want the stress of having the sats all the time

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my first full week of subjects tomorrow! Excited but nervous too. It already feels like information overload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissi86)
    I'm starting my first full week of subjects tomorrow! Excited but nervous too. It already feels like information overload.
    I'm feeling the same! I've done a lot of subject already, got a week of professional development starting tomorrow before I'm unleashed! good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAlwaysWright)
    I'm feeling the same! I've done a lot of subject already, got a week of professional development starting tomorrow before I'm unleashed! ������ good luck x
    Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Holy cow, just been given a load of our directed activities as well as a presentation to do in pairs for Friday coming...so much work to do and we haven't started teaching yet!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Holy cow, just been given a load of our directed activities as well as a presentation to do in pairs for Friday coming...so much work to do and we haven't started teaching yet!!
    Haha. I felt like this last week! Presentation was easy tho and not marked, so once I'd talked myself out of stressing about it I was fine! What's your pres on? Ours was on our experiences of types of learning as a pupil. Don't worry they're not expecting you to be lacing it with theory and intelligent educational viewpoints just yet 👍😄 xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.