Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jonobebe)
    i am having freshers week now and its like this.
    lol..... how's your liver keeping up?

British Council should recommend students to stock up on Vitamin C and mineral water, instead of stationaries

the alcohol is very cheap in uk as compared to sg. after i got cheered to drink up something which i dont even know what + vodka (a glass in 10 seconds), i dont even want to drink when i am out.
    there would be people ending up drunk. wait, its not even drunk, its totally wasted. probably easier to cos they planned to be drunk when they came haha.
    I think it really doesn't get more expensive than Singapore in general.... unless you're in Iraq or something, I guess. But hahah that Vodka story sounds very familiar. Thank God I'm usually the one cheering
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    anyway u are in london, higher chances of meeting singaporeans so if u miss home u can probably chat with them. if not, u will hear bunch of languages u dont know and continue to swirl in them, and probably come back to sg knowing another new language.

afterall, good luck to u
    I guess I am just shocked by the sheer level of intelligence my college facebook page is demonstrating. :cool:

And lol.... my school has like 5 Asians in total

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofssinfoxes)
    This is definitely not true... Frat parties in the States are usually free with unlimited horse-piss (though perhaps horse piss might actually taste better if you add the gas and water like they do to beer)

And an American "measure" is 40 or 45mL, compared to the English, which is 25mL?

Either way, I am just stunned by the fact that they are already planning to get wasted.... it's one thing to end up drunk, but another to plan to be!
    Um, no. I *have* studied / am studying (or perhaps more, accurately, drunk/drink in) in SG / UK / US, and the alcohol prices are kind of SG > US > UK, with SG being more expensive. Four years ago with the pound being 1:3 instead of 1:2 now, the UK and US alcohol prices *might* have been equivalent, but definitely not now.

Is the alcohol in frat parties free? It might be, but then you might as well say alcohol in SG / UK house parties are also free, if the hosts pay.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Narev)
    Um, no. I *have* studied / am studying (or perhaps more, accurately, drunk/drink in) in SG / UK / US, and the alcohol prices are kind of SG > US > UK, with SG being more expensive. Four years ago with the pound being 1:3 instead of 1:2 now, the UK and US alcohol prices *might* have been equivalent, but definitely not now.

Is the alcohol in frat parties free? It might be, but then you might as well say alcohol in SG / UK house parties are also free, if the hosts pay.
    lol ok I was not exactly converting currencies, but even when I do, the prices are Singapore > London > Ithaca? Oh well.... different drinks will have different prices at different places

Regardless, I must add that the most expensive pint I've ever had was from Flam..... beautiful view, but absolutely terrifying price. If I remember correctly, it was close to 90 kroners at a village pub!!!!

And if you're ever throwing a house party in Singapore or London without charging any guests, please do feel free to drop me an invitation

ReputationRep:
    lol ok I was not exactly converting currencies, but even when I do, the prices are Singapore > London > Ithaca? Oh well.... different drinks will have different prices at different places

Regardless, I must add that the most expensive pint I've ever had was from Flam..... beautiful view, but absolutely terrifying price. If I remember correctly, it was close to 90 kroners at a village pub!!!!

And if you're ever throwing a house party in Singapore or London without charging any guests, please do feel free to drop me an invitation
    London is not representative of the UK though. Almost anywhere else a lot of the prices will be about half. Alcohol is very expensive here in SG though. And the selection is pretty poor. Meaning drinking just for taste is a pain. Maybe I was just spoiled with luxury when I was in Germany Wheat beer :sogood:

I love the British £. had to 47 Thai Baht at the weekend per £. Hence I am now really good at dividing by 47 :awesome:

Are you guys actually in Britain yet lah And how many of you actually end sentences with "lah"?

ReputationRep:

You know...it's really quite a coincidence that you mentioned Ithaca. Because I'm currently doing my PhD at Cornell. And I probably paid double yesterday night (after converting) for a shot of Jager...

And yes - there are people who throw house parties in Singapore / UK without charging any guests. I've been to some of them myself. Heck, I've thrown one of them at the start of my final year as an undergraduate, and spent over ~300 GBP. I have not yet been to a house party in the US where I've not contributed to the alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    lol..... how's your liver keeping up?

British Council should recommend students to stock up on Vitamin C and mineral water, instead of stationaries

I think it really doesn't get more expensive than Singapore in general.... unless you're in Iraq or something, I guess. But hahah that Vodka story sounds very familiar. Thank God I'm usually the one cheering

I guess I am just shocked by the sheer level of intelligence my college facebook page is demonstrating. :cool:

And lol.... my school has like 5 Asians in total
    i have only been out 1 night thus far, after a week of freshers haha. and i know how to control, so dont worry for me haha!
    at my local club, u can get a glass at around 2pounds?? thats freaking cheap as compared to sg.
    my sch have only 3 asians, inclusive of me. i remember the first day when i was the only one here, everyone look at me , or u might say stare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    You know...it's really quite a coincidence that you mentioned Ithaca. Because I'm currently doing my PhD at Cornell. And I probably paid double yesterday night (after converting) for a shot of Jager...

And yes - there are people who throw house parties in Singapore / UK without charging any guests. I've been to some of them myself. Heck, I've thrown one of them at the start of my final year as an undergraduate, and spent over ~300 GBP. I have not yet been to a house party in the US where I've not contributed to the alcohol.
    u sound familiar. did u joined YEC before?

ReputationRep:
    What is YEC?

ReputationRep:
    That being said, I'm also not sure if I've been going to the right places for alcohol in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGoat)
    Are you guys actually in Britain yet lah
    *facepalm*

You have no idea how silly it sounds when people try to blend in by adding "lah" in sentences where no sane Singaporean would add a "lah".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClassicJuice)
    *facepalm*

You have no idea how silly it sounds when people try to blend in by adding "lah" in sentences where no sane Singaporean would add a "lah".
    It was meant ironically, hence the " ". I have only heard it said a few times I must admit and never use it iirl, of course.

Are you studying in Singapore or abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Helloo. May I ask if anyone knows whether Cambridge cares about O level result? I didn't do well for my O level (with a couple of A2s and one B3) and ended up in a pretty average JC, some may even say it is below average. Anyway, I worked really hard in JC and did well consistently. I am sitting for my A's in two months' time and have applied to the UK. My predicted grades are all As for my 3H2, 1H1 and GP. I got A for my PW as well, HCL in secondary school so didn't take H1 MTL. I am not applying for a competitive course and according to the application stats published by Cambridge, there are about 3 applicants for one place. I'm also afraid that my lack of 4H2 or H3 subjects would put me at a disadvantage. May I know if I stand any realistic chance of getting into Cambridge? I do not want to waste one choice and if I really don't stand a chance, I might change Cambridge to something else :/

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithopejoy)
    Helloo. May I ask if anyone knows whether Cambridge cares about O level result? I didn't do well for my O level (with a couple of A2s and one B3) and ended up in a pretty average JC, some may even say it is below average. Anyway, I worked really hard in JC and did well consistently. I am sitting for my A's in two months' time and have applied to the UK. My predicted grades are all As for my 3H2, 1H1 and GP. I got A for my PW as well, HCL in secondary school so didn't take H1 MTL. I am not applying for a competitive course and according to the application stats published by Cambridge, there are about 3 applicants for one place. I'm also afraid that my lack of 4H2 or H3 subjects would put me at a disadvantage. May I know if I stand any realistic chance of getting into Cambridge? I do not want to waste one choice and if I really don't stand a chance, I might change Cambridge to something else :/

Thanks guys!
    This depends on your teacher's recommendation, and how well you do in the Cambridge interview.

Are you a guy or a girl though? From what I recall, Cambridge doesn't allow you to defer at all (although things might have changed)...

*Oh, and of course your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really tell for Singaporeans. I do know Cambridge does try to open doors for UK (home) students who had crappy GCSE grades, but work really hard in their sixth form - at least granting them an interview.

I'd think the main factor here would be the potentially mediocre reference though. Although technically, the reference would make it harder for you to get accepted into most top Universities - depending on how the competition is like - other Universities might give you a higher offer to meet instead.

*Basing this on the fact that most international students usually get top grades, and what differentiates them is their statement / reference / interview (if any).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    Can't really tell for Singaporeans. I do know Cambridge does try to open doors for UK (home) students who had crappy GCSE grades, but work really hard in their sixth form - at least granting them an interview.

I'd think the main factor here would be the potentially mediocre reference though. Although technically, the reference would make it harder for you to get accepted into most top Universities - depending on how the competition is like - other Universities might give you a higher offer to meet instead.

*Basing this on the fact that most international students usually get top grades, and what differentiates them is their statement / reference / interview (if any).
    I see...thanks much. Hope I get invited for an interview. Btw, may I ask, is it possible to obtain a reference from a private tutor?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Narev)

Yes INDEED..... it's an astounding coincidence.

I'd initially wanted to go to Cornell (hence the visit) but I couldn't afford the pre-med + med course option...... hence pursuing the same subject in the UK at the moment, but wow. Might I ask.... what are you studying at the moment? Ideally, I would like to further my studies at Cornell as it offers one of the best courses available in the States!

On a lighter subject, perhaps it's just the tradition of my high school for hosts to expect some sort of an input from the guests.... but to give them credit, that's largely because we pop many (and indeed many) expensive bottles.

ReputationRep:
    anyone has any experience applying to any university in Netherlands with a diploma from one of Singapore's polytechnic? Been googling around but to no avail so if you have any information, please do share with me.

Thanks in advance!

on another note, should I take up an offer from strathclyde or uni of queensland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irenicis)
    erm...is it possible to transfer directly to 2nd year in UCL or LSE? If yes i may give it a try.
    hi! anyone knows if this is possible? Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Irenicis)
    hi! anyone knows if this is possible? Thanks!
    Not sure of UCL or LSE, but I know someone who's doing a direct transfer to 2nd year of King's!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.