Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I think the ironic thing is that this episode was probably the first episode with the least amount of moffatisms in it, despite been set in the future

ReputationRep:
    good fun episode I thought the architect might be the Doctor from the start definitely his kind of thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Meh, didn't cover how the Doctor had managed to get in to put those cases in etc.
    I would imagine that the boss lady told him when she called? the only thing he wouldn't have known how to do was open the final vault, which is why he needed it to be when the solar storm happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I thought this was an ok episode - It was really more of a filler than an episode that gave us more info on missy. I found it a bit confusing as did the doctor actually go to the woman at the end and give her what she asked for? I didn't really understand it to be honest but I did enjoy si and would love to have him feature again. I think I am going to hate next week's episode as it's focused on Clara and her love story which I don't mind but would rather not have an entire episode focused on it. I can already predict that Pink is going to be confused about how clara is always disappearing and then when she stops hanging around with the doctor to spend time with him, the doctor is going to get a job at her school where there is for some strange reason a monster. Pink is at the end going to discover the tardis and the doctor and join them on their travels after they defeat the monster. I presume it will follow that ind of storyline although I really hope that I am wrong because I would rather there be an amazing plot twist to salvage the season! I do like capaldi but I just stull don't see him as the doctor - he hasn't really helped save anyone in any of the recent episodes and I know he is apparently meant to be the darker doctor but I'm sure no matter how far the doctor goes he would always try to save someone. Also, I think Clara and the doctor need to separate more; Capaldi is much better without her - but I may be biased since i don't really like Clara. She would probably be my worst companion from the new who, with Donna being my favorite!
    Yes - I'm pretty sure that what she asked for was for the heist to be set up so that the creature could get to its partner. I took it that her regret (as she says in the call that she has regrets) was locking away the creature's partner...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Yes - I'm pretty sure that what she asked for was for the heist to be set up so that the creature could get to its partner. I took it that her regret (as she says in the call that she has regrets) was locking away the creature's partner...
    Oh ok got it thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I actually quite liked that episode. I worked out the fact that the Architect was the Doctor about halfway through, but I found the episode to be enjoyable. The only thing that they didn't explain was why couldn't they use the Tardis at a different time e.g. a week before the storm hit; however this also explains how the cases got into the bank.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    I would imagine that the boss lady told him when she called? the only thing he wouldn't have known how to do was open the final vault, which is why he needed it to be when the solar storm happened
    Except how could he have got it in box that needed to be breath activated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Except how could he have got it in box that needed to be breath activated?
    that one I don't know

ReputationRep:
    I've been very impressed by Peter Capaldi so far. Episodes 4 & 5 have been really good and I don't feel they would have worked as well with the previous doctors as Capaldi brings the more serious/dark edge to them. Episode 2 was decent & I enjoyed episode 1 after the terrible first 20 minutes or so. Episode 3 wasn't really my thing but then I never really like the episodes set in the past with a famous figure as a main character so that wasn't surprising.

But overall quite a strong season so far.

ReputationRep:
    Appartently there will only be 12 episodes this series? What the Frei? That would suggest the Christmas special is no. 13. What are they doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Appartently there will only be 12 episodes this series? What the Frei? That would suggest the Christmas special is no. 13. What are they doing?
    to be fair the first episode was basically two in one (double length) & the christmas special is normally longer than normal ones as well, so technically it's like 15/16 normal episodes worth of the show, all in the space of a few months, which I much prefer to waiting 6 months for specials or small blocks of episodes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    to be fair the first episode was basically two in one (double length) & the christmas special is normally longer than normal ones as well, so technically it's like 15/16 normal episodes worth of the show, all in the space of a few months, which I much prefer to waiting 6 months for specials or small blocks of episodes!
    Oh yes, first episode was 1.5 hours! That will be it. Don't mind me....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    It was obvious from too early on that the Doctor was the architect, so no big surprise when he realised it himself.
    Not obvious to me

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Was also hoping that the Teller was going to be the architect. That would have been a good twist.
    Oooh interesting idea!

(Original post by Munrot07)
    Am I the only one who really enjoyed this episode? :P
    I think I'm a fan too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    I've been very impressed by Peter Capaldi so far. Episodes 4 & 5 have been really good and I don't feel they would have worked as well with the previous doctors as Capaldi brings the more serious/dark edge to them. Episode 2 was decent & I enjoyed episode 1 after the terrible first 20 minutes or so. Episode 3 wasn't really my thing but then I never really like the episodes set in the past with a famous figure as a main character so that wasn't surprising.

But overall quite a strong season so far.
    To be honest, last night's was the first in the new Capaldi episodes that I really enjoyed. It was great scifi, it was fun and the plot held me and gripped me. Also the Doc seemed much more the super-intelligent capable guy up against it with flaws and limits but a nice line in humour - his funny side was a little too darkened by the Dark Dr in the first few I felt. I also liked it that the apparent suicide devices turned out to be benign, I get a bit fed up with all the miserable plots we've had in recent years where the good guys get killed.

I don't know if I'm getting a bit time-weary or something, but I am slightly bored of the way the Dr keeps slipping in and out of the companion's time stream - when you watch classic Dr Who, there's far more of a solid relationship there because the companion(s) really stick with the Doctor and go properly travelling with him for multiple episodes, only returning at the end of their time to their own time. I suppose the modern Dr writers wanted to change all that and have more fun with time paradoxes but it's starting to get tiresome.

The other thing is that they really have run out of monster ideas. How many previous monsters looked a lot like this one? And had mental powers? Seriously, does every being in the galaxy have long shaggy hair, a really big mouth, a bellowing roar and eyes on stalks? Please advise, Galactic Zero Centre Information Services. Please.

ReputationRep:
    I really liked Time Heist, felt Capaldi's doctor has finally come into proper form. I do like Clara, but feel maybe Moff is trying too hard to make her a pivotal character. First name of the doctor, then the 50th, listen and probably half the episodes in between! For me, it's like if anything critical or plot altering happens in the future, Clara will inevitably be the single force behind it. Anyone think that's trying too hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    loved that episode tbh

ReputationRep:
    I feel liked I've connected with this Doctor in a way I haven't since Christopher Eccleston. Tennant and Smith I took at least half a series to really start warming up to them, but for Capaldi I was completely on board after just one episode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolf359)
    I feel liked I've connected with this Doctor in a way I haven't since Christopher Eccleston. Tennant and Smith I took at least half a series to really start warming up to them, but for Capaldi I was completely on board after just one episode
    Strangely I think I agree with you. I am starting to get excited watching it again. Fair play Moffat. :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Have to say I enjoyed last week's episode, though it was far too predictable. The Doctor being the Architect, the bank owner being the person who called, the Teller having his mate in the vault and the apparent suicides actually being teleports. Saw all of them coming, which disappointed me a little, but I enjoyed the episode none the less. Not particularly ecstatic about the episode coming up about Clara and Pink. Their relationship isn't interesting enough to warrant a full episode imo.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I dislike about this series is the Clara/Danny relationship stuff.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.