Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodRunner)

Now I'm trying to get on with my work for the first semester, and I feel myself becoming increasingly upset, stressed, angry, frustrated, bored, lazy and lethargic. I'm also incredibly scared to pick up the pen or put finger to keyboard and start writing. This is because not only am I scared that what I write will ultimately suck and won't get me that precious first I covet, but also because I'm incredibly resentful that, whilst everybody else has their degrees, have graduated, and are now enjoying freedom and sunshine and celebrations, I'm stuck in doors or at the library, doing essays I don't want to do in order to get a degree that will let me do another degree.
    I'm in the same situation, but no motivation to finish my degree, I got extenuating circumstances for 1 entire module, and an assignment for another model, but now with just over a month to go, I haven't even started them and no idea how I will be ale to afford to get back to uni to hand them all in.
    This probably isn't great advice but try your hardest and think about your masters degree. You have that to hold on to which is really good, not everyone (including myself) has anything to hold on to. You CAN do it!!!

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    What's up?
    My job ended last week and I don't know what to do. I need to pay rent but I don't have a job. I feel lke I'd be throwing my savings away if I stayed here. I'm not in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    X
    Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear you're having/have had such a rubbish time :hugs: I'm not really sure if there's any advice I can give unfortunately. Though from your post, I would suggest you're not really in the right frame of mind to doing another year - having said that you've achieved some very good scores in the first two years which you should be very proud of. Have you spoken to anybody at your university properly to discuss through each of the options properly? Part of me would be tempted to go on and finish the degree, but then also I know how destroying and debilitating depression really can be: you don't want to push yourself too far. I'm sorry I have no real advice but I feel for you :console: I hope that things improve and you're able to do whatever is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08batee)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I absolutely agree, hun. :hugs: I know for a fact, you are just fine the way you are. You do NOT need to lose any weight at all - though I can somewhat empathise with not wanting curves and things like that :console: 14% is most certainly not healthy and not somewhere you want to end up ideally :no: Do you feel okay enough to get out the house and do things, to keep your mind occupied and away from your Mum? So sorry to hear you made yourself sick - that's not nice at all I've no idea why you're apologising at all! I think the fact that you can recognise that you're feeling this way, and feeling like things might be about to 'slip' is a good thing - recognising that following your Mum's example is not a good way to go, you have a healthy weight, a healthy lifestyle and do NOT need to lose weight is half the battle. I would just keep monitoring your thought patterns surrounding the issue - maybe make a diary, or record EDish thoughts or tendencies if they come up, then list reasons why that particular thing is not necessary/healthy for you, and the reasons why you want a healthy, strong body. Also maybe the good things, and the things you like about your body, the way it is now. Sorry, I wish I could offer you more advice Big hugs hun :hugs:
    Nothing to apologise for, that's actually really helpful. Tbh I think the way I am feeling today it helps to just have someone acknowledge that I'm right to be trying to fight this, so really appreciate that. Listing stuff could actually be really helpful - I've done that before with positive things about living when suicidal and I think it helped (seem to still be here ), so could be equally beneficial for eating stuff. Thanks and :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    People love to point out flaws in others, sadly. At least the dicks out there anyway, of which there always ...
    Thank you. You made me feel better .
    It was just like I've put all this effort into something or i'm clearly gutted that I cant get a job why are people picking these times to harass me :/

Its such a silly thing but sometimes you can face all sorts of disasters and be fine and others something tiny causes a breakdown.

Brain is in a big mushy, gahhhhhhhhey way. It's really not liking me and stuff. I hate feeling like this :cry:. CBT can't come fast enough...

Hope everyone is okay, and I'm sorry for being sucky and unsupportative and stuff. I'm not even makign sense because I can't think of real words. Meh, is all

ReputationRep:
    Brain is in a big mushy, gahhhhhhhhey way. It's really not liking me and stuff. I hate feeling like this :cry:. CBT can't come fast enough...

Hope everyone is okay, and I'm sorry for being sucky and unsupportative and stuff. I'm not even makign sense because I can't think of real words. Meh, is all
    Oops, this was my post
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Everything WAS going well until I watche inspption.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zonkfrog)
    Thank you. You made me feel better .
    It was just like I've put all this effort into something or i'm clearly gutted that I cant get a job why are people picking these times to harass me :/

Its such a silly thing but sometimes you can face all sorts of disasters and be fine and others something tiny causes a breakdown.
    I'm glad i did :P I'm actually on ESA atm, was on jobseekers for about 6 months. I just want to sort myself out before i get a job. Most of my friends now have jobs or have at least had part time work recently, wheras i've had nothing :| Even without the diggs it can still make you feel bad :hugs:

It's not like we WANT to sponge off the government, i want to have a stable income and enjoy some luxuries. A routine would also help my mental and physical health too.

Yeah, i know what u mean when some big things really don't bother you, but some small, insignificant things really get to ya. Kinda sucks, but at least we can deal with some things okay

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad i did :P I'm actually on ESA atm, was on jobseekers for about 6 months. I just want to sort myself out before i get a job. Most of my friends now have jobs or have at least had part time work recently, wheras i've had nothing :| Even without the diggs it can still make you feel bad :hugs:

It's not like we WANT to sponge off the government, i want to have a stable income and enjoy some luxuries. A routine would also help my mental and physical health too.

Yeah, i know what u mean when some big things really don't bother you, but some small, insignificant things really get to ya. Kinda sucks, but at least we can deal with some things okay
    Just a quick thing about ESA and routine. Have you thought about volunteering? You can do it on ESA, regardless of if you are in the support or work related group. I did some volunteering for only 2 hours a week but its amazing how little things can actually give you structure - it really helped me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfgah)
    Nothing to apologise for, that's actually really helpful. Tbh I think the way I am feeling today it helps to just have someone acknowledge that I'm right to be trying to fight this, so really appreciate that. Listing stuff could actually be really helpful - I've done that before with positive things about living when suicidal and I think it helped (seem to still be here ), so could be equally beneficial for eating stuff. Thanks and :hugs:
    Ah no problem at all! I'm glad that I've been of a little help. I really hope things improve for you soon hun :yes: :jumphug:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi, I don't always use this site, but I'm sort of desperate/sad/pathetic/loser-ish so I thought I'd turn to it.

I'm currently in my third year of uni. I've always tried my best to be a bit of a "high-flyer", always aiming for firsts, but always being disappointed by the fact that I got 2.1's in my first and second year. I applied and was accepted onto masters programs at two very good London universities, and when I started my third year, I was determined to do well. I picked modules I thought would be good for me, and set about working on them as diligently as I could, sacrificing any semblance of a social life in order to get where I needed to go. Unbeknownst to me, I had started suffering symptoms of depression at around mid November; I've always been "emotional" and a worrier, but it reached its breaking point during Christmas. I had 15,000 words to hand in at the very beginning of January, and I only had three weeks to do them, and try as I might to start early, nothing was materializing. As the weeks were slipping away, I'd gotten to 27th of December and nothing had been written, despite my best efforts. I had several panic attacks and nervous breakdowns and attempted suicide several times during that period. After speaking to my doctor, I managed to get a two week extension on my work, and I tried to hand everything in, but the strain of what had gone on kept mounting to the extent that I had further attacks. I managed to get my work for the first semester extended to August and managed to go ahead with my second semester as planned. I completed and submitted four essays whilst undergoing psychotherapy. However, during an exam, in the first few minutes, I had another panic attack and walked out; this, too, has now been extended to August. I got the results for my four essays, and managed to scrape together a high 2.1 for the second semester, which I'm pleased with, all things considered.

Now I'm trying to get on with my work for the first semester, and I feel myself becoming increasingly upset, stressed, angry, frustrated, bored, lazy and lethargic. I'm also incredibly scared to pick up the pen or put finger to keyboard and start writing. This is because not only am I scared that what I write will ultimately suck and won't get me that precious first I covet, but also because I'm incredibly resentful that, whilst everybody else has their degrees, have graduated, and are now enjoying freedom and sunshine and celebrations, I'm stuck in doors or at the library, doing essays I don't want to do in order to get a degree that will let me do another degree.

I've talked about taking a year off, starting the year over again, but I couldn't afford it. I've talked about abandoning the degree altogether, but that would be a complete waste. I feel trapped on all sides, and I've taken to taking my frustration and anger out by hitting myself violently on the head. I try to control it, but I don't know what I can do to get out of this repetitious hole I'm stuck in. I feel like I've made my family miserable, and that they keep trying to push me into doing work (for my best interests, mind you) but I simply don't know if I can.

I don't really know why I typed this here, I just needed to tell somebody my story. If there's any help or advice you can give, it would be really appreciated. I'm desperate for this to end, and even though I know when the deadline for this work is, the concept of doing it is like pulling teeth (I've done all the reading and the secondary work on it, the plans and the arguments, everything - it's just the writing that proves to be a perpetual block).

I never wanted my degree to end like this, and it wasn't supposed to end like this, and all I can do is whine. I'm ****ing miserable, man.

TY

*Sorry, I posted this in a thread of its own before I saw this, thought I might as well just post it here too. Sorry if it annoys anyone*
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about everything you've been through. I was in a not-so-dissimilar rut during my third year and found it near-impossible to motivate myself. What was really useful was I had supportive tutors and everytime I felt I couldn't do it, I'd run to them wailing and then we'd try and break things down and talk about study skills, etc.

Do you have anyone who could provide similar support to you?

ReputationRep:

It's not like we WANT to sponge off the government, i want to have a stable income ...
    See I have no income. I cant get Jobseekers cause im a student even though i'm off for 5months(a joke I know) and am actually paying all my own uni fees as its a second degree. Supposedly to try a get me a job.
    So I need to have several thousand to pay next years fees but have no takers on the job from.
    Its the bit when youve filled out your 10th application of the day and it ask why do you want to work here.....ugh cause I need something, anything and youll do :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Last night was very embarassing! Not something I really want to happen infront of otheres, let alone in their house. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zonkfrog)
    See I have no income. I cant get Jobseekers cause im a student even though i'm off for 5months(a joke I know) and am actually paying all my own uni fees as its a second degree. Supposedly to try a get me a job.
    So I need to have several thousand to pay next years fees but have no takers on the job from.
    Its the bit when youve filled out your 10th application of the day and it ask why do you want to work here.....ugh cause I need something, anything and youll do :/
    If you can get DLA, you can get ESA or JSA as a student. Maybe worth a look if you are eligible for DLA (people with mental health can get it, although it can be quite hard)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Last night was very embarassing! Not something I really want to happen infront of otheres, let alone in their house. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What happened? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    If you can get DLA, you can get ESA or JSA as a student. Maybe worth a look if you are eligible for DLA (people with mental health can get it, although it can be quite hard)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can get DLA as a student bot not ESA or JSA.

ReputationRep:
    Literally haven't stopped crying today I'm panicking about results cause some of my friends got their IB results today and didn't get into uni. It's making me really worry about having to stay here for another year. I just can't. Dad's really not well in hospital at the moment and as much as I don't get on with him I'm obviously worried. After a bit of a better period I've just felt nothing but despair over the last week.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently crying in front of my boyfriends mum wasn't my smartest move. Bloody Waterloo road! I was screaming no do she ran to the living room to see what was up and I was just there in tears :facepalm:
    Just so hot ATM though absolutely roasting, I can't deal with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    You can get DLA as a student bot not ESA or JSA.
    One of the exceptions to the ESA and student rule, is that if you get any rate of DLA, you are also entitled to claim ESA. This is what I do now

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/?page=19668

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.