Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got hurt by Cambridge? Hurt them back in http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2226344

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    obvs a huge long way off thinking about it let alone applying, but does anybody know if you can do mba/finance postgrads in the US without prior work experience, eg straight after graduation from a UK uni? I know you can do Msc Finance without experience at LSE and Imperial - just me being curious haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    obvs a huge long way off thinking about it let alone applying, but does anybody know if you can do mba/finance postgrads in the US without prior work experience, eg straight after graduation from a UK uni? I know you can do Msc Finance without experience at LSE and Imperial - just me being curious haha
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okmandy)
    Did anyone get a Social Policy & Government offer?I applied on Nov 1st and heard nothing since Christmas.I am an American applicant using ap scores as qualifications.
    I applied to the same program as you and I am also an American student using AP qualifications. I have yet to hear from them and I applied november 5th. fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applebeee)
    Are you an international applicant?
    Yup! R U an international student as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KATIEHIDDLESTON)
    Yup! R U an international student as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yapm Canada. What aboot you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thevindu)
    Received an offer for Economics BSc from on Thursday the 19th Feb. Applied after receiving A2 grades (so with a gap year).
    Acquired A*A*AB (Maths ,Econ ,Geo & Further Maths). GCSE 6A* 4A's. Attended Hills Road, Netherhall and St Albans as my schooling. They were all non-private schools. Born in Sri Lanka but Nationality is British.

Rejected from Oxford E&M (St Peters), most likely due to weak TSA performance (55).

Currently undecided on whether to pick UCL with a year abroad at UCLA/Columbia OR LSE Straight Econ.

If you're reading this thread it probably won't be useful to you if you haven't received an offer or rejection because all it made me do is be more apprehensive. All you really need to take away from this thread and last years thread is that most of the Offers come around March time. The longer you're mean't to wait really doesn't mean that much, because if they didn't want you they would have rejected you already. Regardless, here is all my info. Also, LSE aren't that strict. I had a friend that was accepted last year to do straight Econ with an A*AAa prediction 'a' in AS further. She got A*AAa, she only did AS further in her A2 year. Her personal statement was good, not filled with lots of extra curricular at all, just good economic content.
    I would honestly pick the UCL Year abroad. Whilst LSE is the better brand name on your CV etc. the difference between them and UCL is not huge, especially at the undergrad level; if you look at the modules for both it is virtually the same, similar thing with location.

A year at an Ivy League is something which not many people are going to be able to say they've done, and living in the States for a year can be a life-changing experience depending on how you choose to spend it. Especially if you plan to live or work in the States after you graduate, the contacts you can make would be invaluable. So from a non-biased perspective I think UCL L101 would be the better choice, the main thing LSE has going for it is the name in this case.

Lastly, I agree with your final point. A lot are under the false impression that impressive ECs, work experience etc. make a good PS for LSE, when showing a clear and demonstrable understanding and passion for your subject is enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks man!
    MBAs require work experience, not MScs necessarily but it obv helps if you've worked at a prestigious firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daltohn)
    MBAs require work experience, not MScs necessarily but it obv helps if you've worked at a prestigious firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but it's not a problem to go in straight after your undergrad degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok yeah that's what I thought, both would be sick tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Yeah but it's not a problem to go in straight after your undergrad degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
    MSc - no, MBA - yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thevindu)
    Received an offer for Economics BSc from on Thursday the 19th Feb. Applied after receiving A2 grades (so with a gap year).
    Acquired A*A*AB (Maths ,Econ ,Geo & Further Maths). GCSE 6A* 4A's. Attended Hills Road, Netherhall and St Albans as my schooling. They were all non-private schools. Born in Sri Lanka but Nationality is British.

Rejected from Oxford E&M (St Peters), most likely due to weak TSA performance (55).

Currently undecided on whether to pick UCL with a year abroad at UCLA/Columbia OR LSE Straight Econ.

If you're reading this thread it probably won't be useful to you if you haven't received an offer or rejection because all it made me do is be more apprehensive. All you really need to take away from this thread and last years thread is that most of the Offers come around March time. The longer you're mean't to wait really doesn't mean that much, because if they didn't want you they would have rejected you already. Regardless, here is all my info. Also, LSE aren't that strict. I had a friend that was accepted last year to do straight Econ with an A*AAa prediction 'a' in AS further. She got A*AAa, she only did AS further in her A2 year. Her personal statement was good, not filled with lots of extra curricular at all, just good economic content.
    I applied for Economics BSc as well and still haven't heard from LSE yet I also got rejected from Oxford E&M St Peters as well haha, congrats with ur offer tho!

ReputationRep:
    Ok yeah that's what I thought, both would be sick tbh
    Yeah agree, there aren't too many Finance MScs worth doing in the US imo (mainly Princeton's) but an MBA would be sick. The quality of work experience is key though (if you do finance, you're competing with GS IBD+KKR PE people for Harvard and Stanford - even then you're far from guaranteed). But UCL Econ won't handicap you at all imo mate, it's really solid for IBD recruiting and it's mathematical, which can be a plus for graduate admissions.

ReputationRep:
    Ll
    Yeah agree, there aren't too many Finance MScs worth doing in the US imo (mainly Princeton's) but an MBA would be sick. The quality of work experience is key though (if you do finance, you're competing with GS IBD+KKR PE people for Harvard and Stanford - even then you're far from guaranteed). But UCL Econ won't handicap you at all imo mate, it's really solid for IBD recruiting and it's mathematical, which can be a plus for graduate admissions.
    Fair man, cheers for the advice - guess Princeton would be awesome, I've found that MIT's Master of Finance is pre- experience but I don't know how their rep compares with LSE, Oxford, Imperial etc

ReputationRep:
    Who's joining me in Accounting and Finance? #goldmansachsiswaitingforus

ReputationRep:
    I applied on 10th of october and it's been 3 weeks since the 4 week deadline. Why are they taking so long?!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I got offers from both UCL and LSE for PPE. Does anyone have any advice on which one to pick? I'm an international applicant so I don't know anything about the two universities, except their ranking. LSE is ranked higher for the three subjects, but UCL is ranked higher overall. Besides that rankings should not be the most important element in the decision. So anyone any advice?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samfromleicester)
    Who's joining me in Accounting and Finance? #goldmansachsiswaitingforus
    I'm not joining you for A&F but I am joining you from Leicester kind of way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adriaan)
    Hi everyone,

I got offers from both UCL and LSE for PPE. Does anyone have any advice on which one to pick? I'm an international applicant so I don't know anything about the two universities, except their ranking. LSE is ranked higher for the three subjects, but UCL is ranked higher overall. Besides that rankings should not be the most important element in the decision. So anyone any advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    Hello. I'm an international applicant too! I'll be honest I don't know much about the PPE course but I'm waiting for LSE to reply too so I can firm UCL!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.