Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bacon, shut the **** up.

Anyway, should I buy this? Going out on the town next week possibly.

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Extrem...t=-1&clr=White

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    meh, i suppose i shouldn't generalise after only watching a single game but he certainly didn't demonstrate strength today from what i saw (only from 40 mins +).
    so you didn't watch him at the WC or Barca either?

whoever was askin for this;
    https://vine.co/v/M3KTpPbibZO
    hnggg

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think the result today was by no means glamorous, but a fair one. We dominated the second half and Crystal Palace didn't really seem threatening at any point in the game for me. I think I caught after the game we had around 78% possession? Says it all. Crystal Palace are a brilliant side defensively and we did find it hard to break them down, but bare in mind we are missing Ozil, Walcott and Giroud didn't come on until late in the second half and Sanogo isn't the type of player who would do any damage when we find ourselves having to break down a bus-parking side. Mind you, neither is Giroud really. But we ground out a result today and that's an essential attribute we need if we are going to challenge this season, so promising in that aspect.

Views on MoM? Chambers or Kos for me, both were solid, apart from Kos on the goal obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Could you pick a worse game to showcase Alexis' ability than against a bus parking Palace side? His crossing was poor, assist aside, but it's fair to say his crossing is not his strength really.

What will he offer vs last season? A very strong work ethic, energy, directness.

Also worth noting that he was playing with a League 1 striker in Sanogo and a totally out of sorts Cazorla today, and yet you've started a witch hunt. Nice!
    He's going to face a parked bus more often than not. I've watched him a LOT more than you this is a typical performance from him.

A very strong worth ethic, energy and directness. 35m well spent

[email protected] deflecting his performance on to cazorla and sanogo they were **** as well but that's got nothing to do with what we're talking about

Giroud
    Sanchez ozil walcott

Has the potential to be the most inconsistent front 4 In world football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    To be fair, Chelsea's defence is superior to Palace's, Palace have conceded 6 goals to Liverpool last season, Suarez scoring 2 of them.
    Point stands. I could pull up the video of Palace/Chelsea last season and conclude ''that Hazard did nothing against them, yet he cost £35m!!!!''

It's ludicrous analysis, it really is. When teams bus park you score goals like we did today, scrappy ones from deflections etc. Players like this want an open game with space to attack, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I wouldn't count on it tbh. It'll be something along the lines of "Man united were unlucky today" and as for us something stupid like "They scraped a win through an unconvincing performance with mediocre looking players".
    The only thing that matters is the 3 points. We got it, Man United didn't.

Our next premier league game should deliver a smoother performance (hopefully). No denying Everton will be tough opponents but I feel with Mertesacker and Ozil back we'll have a good game and come out with a consecutive win.

EDIT: And it's rarely ever a great game when the opposition comes to park the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)

[email protected] deflecting his performance on to cazorla and sanogo they were **** as well but that's got nothing to do with what we're talking about

Giroud
    Sanchez ozil walcott

Well I was pointing out that he offers something quite different to our other attackers, as you demanded to be informed of.

Why are we talking about Alexis at all? There was a 19 year old kid at CB who looked a million bucks and you couldnt care less. Strange...

ReputationRep:
    Games when teams park the bus are always like this, always. You're literally either looking for Sanchez to i)smack it top bins from distance or ii)beat 8 men with a dribble. To say he cost big money and hence should unconditionally have dazzled on his debut is complete *******s. How did Hazard look vs Palace last season, Suarez against Chelsea/Palace last season? What about Messi vs Chelsea in 2012?

Nothing good? His work rate was on point, he showed great aggression and his directness was there even if was hard to produce much(beyond an assist) against Palace.
    i never said he should dazzle, what i'm saying is that people expect it.
    on a player's debut, people are always watching the new guy's game intensely to see how he performs.
    obviously this wasn't sanchez's debut per se, but it was his first league game, so the same applies.
    i'm not saying it's right man, i'm just saying it happens for a lot of new signings.

Youve never seen Sanchez before today?

He is very tenacious and up for a scrap, and he did show that today too.
    meh, i can't profess to have seen him much which is why i clearly said i shouldn't make generalisations after a single game.
    i don't doubt his healthy aggression in a game but he just didn't seem massively physical to me
    that isn't to say he won't improve greatly though.

(Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    so you didn't watch him at the WC or Barca either?
    yeah he was excellent at the world cup tbh
    i like him as a player (still a little bitter), but i feel like some arsenal fans are bigging him up for a performance that was mediocre at best - no offence intended.

ReputationRep:
    Well I was pointing out that he offers something quite different to our other attackers, as you demanded to be informed of.

Why are we talking about Alexis at all? There was a 19 year old kid at CB who looked a million bucks and you couldnt care less. Strange...
    Because I want to see progress. Our problems aren't at CB

Can you honestly say you're happy going in to the season with this squad?

ReputationRep:
    Because I want to see progress. Our problems aren't at CB

Can you honestly say you're happy going in to the season with this squad?
    You are awfully critical. This is just one game and the opposition came to park the bus. It's difficult to break them down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeJay)
    You are awfully critical. This is just one game and the opposition came to park the bus. It's difficult to break them down. Ozil wasn't present either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shut up Bacon.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that matters is the 3 points. We got it, Man United didn't.

Our next premier league game should deliver a smoother performance (hopefully). No denying Everton will be tough opponents but I feel with Mertesacker and Ozil back we'll have a good game and come out with a consecutive win.

EDIT: And it's rarely ever a great game when the opposition comes to park the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure but will the pundits see that? I'm not having it this season I swear. Anyways yeah, next 6 fixtures in fact are very tough but i'd like to think we've learnt our lessons. Ozil and Per would be a beneficial addition next game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Shut up Bacon.
    A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of sheeps

ReputationRep:
    He's going to face a parked bus more often than not. I've watched him a LOT more than you this is a typical performance from him.

Giroud
    Sanchez ozil walcott

Agree on Sanchez, this is the Sanchez we're talking about. Unless teams are stupid enough to play a high line and possession Sanchez will be ****. At Barca he can play that system because he ****ing has Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and co to create chances. He don't have that here at best he's got Ozil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    He don't have that here at best he's got Ozil.
    At best? You're forgetting Ozil is world class!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanC611)
    At best? You're forgetting Ozil is world class!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At best.

Ozil was inconsistent last season therefore at his best you have Ozil. But Ozil was average in the world cup.

People really need to read and understand the meaning of a comment before trying to argue it. LOGICKZZ man.

ReputationRep:
    At best.

Ozil was inconsistent last season therefore at his best you have Ozil. But Ozil was average in the world cup.

People really need to read and understand the meaning of a comment before trying to argue it. LOGICKZZ man.
    It was his first season; It's like a disease. It's also a downgrade from the likes of Ronaldo, Modric, Di Maria etc, so you wouldn't expect him to have the same Real Madrid form. I'm sure he will come back and have a great season now that he's probably more comfortable with the football.

You've forgotten Cazorla, Wilshere and Ramsey. All quality midfielders.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was his first season; It's like a disease. It's also a downgrade from the likes of Ronaldo, Modric, Di Maria etc, so you wouldn't expect him to have the same Real Madrid form. I'm sure he will come back and have a great season now that he's probably more comfortable with the football.

You've forgotten Cazorla, Wilshere and Ramsey. All quality midfielders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ramsey yes. Lol at the other two they've been terrible for a good 12 months. This is not 2012.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey yes. Lol at the other two they've been terrible for a good 12 months. This is not 2012.
    Terrible for 12 months!? How naive are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.