• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Happy birthday TLG!! ! :woo: :party:
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Woke up with such a tight back and chest. I know it's just from anxiety but it still worries me :cry2: which then only adds to it. It's a never ending loop :facepalm:

Also, I saw my CPN for the whole of five mins today. Apparently she didn't actually have any space for an appt with me today and the receptionist who gave me the appt never double checked with her first so it wasn't a proper session, it was more like "Hi how are you? See you next time". Kinda pointless going tbh. Grudge getting up early now :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else experienced 'brain zaps' from withdrawal off SSRIs? How long does it last?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Has anyone else experienced 'brain zaps' from withdrawal off SSRIs? How long does it last?
    Yeah, I have. I get it if I don't take my meds for a few days or start coming off one. It can last a while, up to a few weeks, but in my experience the worst of it starts wearing off before that. Some people will be over it in a few days to a week, for other it takes a bit longer. If it's really bad, contact your doctor. It's not nice; I hope you feel better soon :hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Yeah, I have. I get it if I don't take my meds for a few days or start coming off one. It can last a while, up to a few weeks, but in my experience the worst of it starts wearing off before that. Some people will be over it in a few days to a week, for other it takes a bit longer. If it's really bad, contact your doctor. It's not nice; I hope you feel better soon :hugs:
    Thank you :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I went to a wedding fayre tonight and had two glasses of champagne and my ocd has flared up something rotten. All I can think is I've been spiked even though I'd know it by now and crap like that. It's been a while since the poison contamination fears were high, lately it's been more magical thinking that anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Today I spilt oil all over my only pair of trousers. I was fighting back tears. I keep crying at things really easily. I've gone from never expressing emotion to being overwhelmed with tears at least several times every day. The worst is when I keep crying at the national anthem before hockey games, wtf is that about? :confused:

Don't suppose anyone has tips for getting oil out? I've been dabbing it with washing up liquid but that doesn't seem to be working.

****ing weight, I have 1 pair of trousers and 1 pair of shorts.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone been to the doctors at uni about your mental health? what's your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    has anyone been to the doctors at uni about your mental health? what's your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I went when i was at uni. I would say if the first dr diesnt listen dont feel bad go see another dr.

I spoke to 1 dr about my paranoia and he dismissed it.
    I went to go see another dr about my deoression and he was absolutely fantastic, took loads of time to help and support me and fully admitted he was just working to get me through uni not long term as that could have been dealt with once i got through. And it helped loads.

I then plucked up the courage a few years later to bring up my oaranoia with another dr and they were also amazing.
    Some drs dont understand mental health aswell as other so my advice is to perservere until you are listened too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine have been fantastic with mine. They've kept an eye on me in rough patches (also reduced the amount of meds I was allowed access to - I got 14 day prescriptions and not 28 days) but when I've been doing really well mentally, they've allowed me just to get on with things and only see them every few months

ReputationRep:
    Sabertooth sorry no tips for oil :/ hope you're feeling better today x

--

The irony of being awake since 5am and yet STILL being late for 9am Seminar 😫 I really needed to be in this one too! I'm going to be so far behind on research project. My group is going to hate me because I've basically missed the first part and the hardest bit designing the thing. Also how can I write an report on a project I've never seen.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So I've noticed that when I'm sleep deprived my anxiety lessens with or without meds and I gain more confidence and ease.
    I've not really done uni social stuff due to shyness.

Do you think it'd be a bad idea if I were not to sleep the night before I want to do something social like go out so that the over thinking part of my brain is shut down.

ReputationRep:
    Sleep deprivation is really bad for your health; physical and mental. It increases the change of a cardiac event and psychosis

It would be better for you to look at how to challege and quieten your mind without risky mood altering states.
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    So I've noticed that when I'm sleep deprived my anxiety lessens with or without meds and I gain more confidence and ease.
    I've not really done uni social stuff due to shyness.

Do you think it'd be a bad idea if I were not to sleep the night before I want to do something social like go out so that the over thinking part of my brain is shut down.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips for dealing with sedation for meds? I've been on my current combo for about 2 years but never really got over the sedation. It's been really bad recently and I've been waking up late and having to get taxis to placement as I just can't function early.

I saw my psychiatrist day and he agreed to reduce my Quetiapine from 400mg to 300mg. If that didn't work he said he would look at reducing some of my Depakote. I asked about going back on Aripiprazole but he wasn't so keen as I seem to be doing better on Quetiapine compared to when I was on Aripiprazole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    I went when i was at uni. I would say if the first dr diesnt listen dont feel bad go see another dr.

I spoke to 1 dr about my paranoia and he dismissed it.
    I went to go see another dr about my deoression and he was absolutely fantastic, took loads of time to help and support me and fully admitted he was just working to get me through uni not long term as that could have been dealt with once i got through. And it helped loads.

I then plucked up the courage a few years later to bring up my oaranoia with another dr and they were also amazing.
    Some drs dont understand mental health aswell as other so my advice is to perservere until you are listened too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm glad things worked out for you i'm thinking of seeing the doctors at my university for depression, but i'm not sure if theyll be any good. I was told by one of my friends that someone had gone in to the doctors at my uni for their cold, and it turned out they werent that helpful so im worried it will be the same for me :/

(Original post by Deyesy)
    Mine have been fantastic with mine. They've kept an eye on me in rough patches (also reduced the amount of meds I was allowed access to - I got 14 day prescriptions and not 28 days) but when I've been doing really well mentally, they've allowed me just to get on with things and only see them every few months
    that's great! hopefully the doctors at my uni will be good too
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    Anyone got any tips for dealing with sedation for meds? I've been on my current combo for about 2 years but never really got over the sedation. It's been really bad recently and I've been waking up late and having to get taxis to placement as I just can't function early.

I saw my psychiatrist day and he agreed to reduce my Quetiapine from 400mg to 300mg. If that didn't work he said he would look at reducing some of my Depakote. I asked about going back on Aripiprazole but he wasn't so keen as I seem to be doing better on Quetiapine compared to when I was on Aripiprazole.
    Yeah, quetiapine is a killer for sedation. I don't know if this will help you, but what I did was take it earlier at night. I take it at around 7pm which is good for getting me off to sleep a few hours later but with less sedation in the morning. I can actually get out of bed now!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't posted here for ages, hope everyone's bobbing along :hugs:

Currently doing a 0/10 job of proving to myself I'm well enough to be at uni.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad things worked out for you i'm thinking of seeing the doctors at my university for depression, but i'm not sure if theyll be any good. I was told by one of my friends that someone had gone in to the doctors at my uni for their cold, and it turned out they werent that helpful so im worried it will be the same for me :/

that's great! hopefully the doctors at my uni will be good too
    No offense but what did that person think a doctor would do about a cold? It can't be treated with antibiotics just rest and OTC cold remedies.

I saw a doctor in my first year at university about depression and she told me it was "teenage hormones" (at 19). My girlfriend at the time told me to push for help so I saw another doctor who diagnosed severe depression and immediately started me on antidepressants.

ReputationRep:
    Sabertooth have you tried vitamin B? I use that whenever my meds make me drowsy. Check with dr obv for interactions but that could be an alternative
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Sabertooth have you tried vitamin B? I use that whenever my meds make me drowsy. Check with dr obv for interactions but that could be an alternative
    I haven't tried it. I've never taken any vitamins. Any vitamin B in particular?

I actually have an app on my phone which checks interactions (it's part of my uni course).

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.