The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Homerton may not have as much money as Trinity but they're still ****ing rolling in it.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Colleges...y_of_Cambridge

Also accommodation gets better as you go to 2nd and 3rd year.
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Wow, i knew trinity were loaded but over £1 billion in assets is crazy.
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Newnham actually have quite a bit of money for a female college...not bad at all...
    http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2016/...-college-68256

.........................Harvard ............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)

Eugh... Rich *******s.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Would totally do a PhD there though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Newnham is lovely, and their garden party (which I think is on again this year) is amazing value.

The buildings and gardens are really nice.
    I've heard Murray Edwards's Garden Party is quite good and good value, too.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Murray Edwards's Garden Party is quite good and good value, too.
    Yeah I've heard that too, I've only been to Newnham's personally though. £25 with live music, unlimited drinks and food. Definitely a lot better value than the May Balls I've gone to.

ReputationRep:

It's certainly something the Americans do beat us at.

http://www.thebestschools.org/featur...ity-research/#
    Cambridge 13th
    Oxford 19th

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah I've heard that too, I've only been to Newnham's personally though. £25 with live music, unlimited drinks and food. Definitely a lot better value than the May Balls I've gone to.
    My daughter went to Mudwards's in her final year. I think she said their ticket price was something like that, too.
    She'd already got tickets to go 2 May Balls elsewhere (one of them was for John's, but got that 50/50 bargain one, so wasn't too bad), and added Mudwards's one as a treat to herself for having survived 3 yrs at Cambridge.
    Not a huge extra expense and she said it was really good value for money and she really had a good time.
    And you can go there with much more casual (= cheaper) clothes, too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's certainly something the Americans do beat us at.

http://www.thebestschools.org/featur...ity-research/#
    Cambridge 13th
    Oxford 19th

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I know.
    The amount of endowments they get from industry is no comparison to what academic institutes get from the industry here. The biggest reason R&D of this country often lags behind other leading industrialized nations.......

I might've already told you (or someone else in TSR), but a couple of boys I know went to Ivy League unis (one of them gave up an offer from Oxford) and they both got full scholarship that's more than enough to cover all the cost = tuition fees, accommodation, and all other expenses, like food, etc....
    The only thing their parents had to dish out was their flight fares.

Also, one of my nieces was a visiting researcher/lecturer at Princeton for a few year, and the pay she got there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above she gets from the university/institute she belongs here in UK.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know.
    The amount of endowments they get from industry is no comparison to what academic institutes get from the industry here. The biggest reason R&D of this country often lags behind other leading industrialized nations.......

I might've already told you (or someone else in TSR), but a couple of boys I know went to Ivy League unis (one of them gave up an offer from Oxford) and they both got full scholarship that's more than enough to cover all the cost = tuition fees, accommodation, and all other expenses, like food, etc....
    The only thing their parents had to dish out was their flight fares.

Also, one of my nieces was a visiting researcher/lecturer at Princeton for a few year, and the pay she got there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above she gets from the university/institute she belongs here in UK.
    Yeah, financial aid is crazy at some of these universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi jneill, I know someone interested in applying to natural sciences but won't be doing A-level Chemistry; she's doing Maths, FM, Physics and Computer Science and she's interested in doing only physics. Would a lack of Chemistry hinder her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Hi jneill, I know someone interested in applying to natural sciences but won't be doing A-level Chemistry; she's doing Maths, FM, Physics and Computer Science and she's interested in doing only physics. Would a lack of Chemistry hinder her?
    Nah, would be fine. They still have plenty of options for 1A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Don't the NatSci Tripos make it hard for someone to only do one subject? Or is she planning to study Maths with Physics for the first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Don't the NatSci Tripos make it hard for someone to only do one subject? Or is she planning to study Maths with Physics for the first year?
    Not really, with only Physics + Maths + FM you can do three of Physics, Materials, Earth Sciences, Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Not really, with only Physics + Maths + FM you can do three of Physics, Materials, Earth Sciences, Computer Science.
    What about the other way around? What could someone do if they wanted to do only (mainly) Chem in 1A and avoid Physics? (asking for a friend)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What about the other way around? What could someone do if they wanted to do only (mainly) Chem in 1A and avoid Physics? (asking for a friend)
    Cells, materials and chemistry would be decent. Materials is super useful for second year chem anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Hi alow do you know if physiology is any good to take alongside Physics, Materials and Maths? I didn't do Chemistry so that eliminates Cells and Chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Hi alow do you know if physiology is any good to take alongside Physics, Materials and Maths? I didn't do Chemistry so that eliminates Cells and Chem
    I know someone that did that combination and they found it alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I know someone that did that combination and they found it alright.
    Ah that's good! Physiology looks awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Cells, materials and chemistry would be decent. Materials is super useful for second year chem anyways.
    Cheers, thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm starting at Cambridge next week, reading Medicine and I'm just looking at the societies i want to join. Would I have time to join two sports teams (or even 3!), or is it just not possible to fit everything in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lista)
    Hello, I'm starting at Cambridge next week, reading Medicine and I'm just looking at the societies i want to join. Would I have time to join two sports teams (or even 3!), or is it just not possible to fit everything in?
    You might want to ask this on the Freshers' page, you'd probably be more likely to get responses from people who know.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post67765678

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.