Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAlwaysWright)
    Haha. I felt like this last week! Presentation was easy tho and not marked, so once I'd talked myself out of stressing about it I was fine! What's your pres on? Ours was on our experiences of types of learning as a pupil. Don't worry they're not expecting you to be lacing it with theory and intelligent educational viewpoints just yet 👍😄 xxx
    We've got to do a presentation on computational thinking to our subject mentors for our schools...just trying to make sure I don't sound like a total Berk! Lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Week three and I'm still enjoying it. So much I need to be looking into (I'm supposed to be creating an AfL worksheet right now. eek!) but other than really needing to get myself better organised I think I'm handling it okay. Start at our schools next Wednesday so getting super nervous about that now!

(Original post by Ratchit99)
    We've got to do a presentation on computational thinking to our subject mentors for our schools...just trying to make sure I don't sound like a total Berk! Lol
    You'll be fine. I did an intro to computational thinking for my PGCE interview this year and it's definitely a topic that's easy to work with. Try and enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    I have my induction at my first placement tomorrow. Eek! The nerves are kicking in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I have my induction at my first placement tomorrow. Eek! The nerves are kicking in.
    How exciting!! I start Monday. Can't wait. Good luck!

Yeah I think that's basically what our mentors were getting us to present in inadvertently. I remember classes being very computational, I think that's what's made me want to be the opposite ha!

ReputationRep:
    I've been following this thread for a while - am I the only one who feels extremely intimidated by the level knowledge and expertise the people on my course have?

I was reading emails sent by some of them and it feels like it's come directly out of a research paper or something and this is INFORMAL.

I feel like my course leader probably has a strong preference towards them too because the 'younger' ones in the group are more quiet and reserved we dare not speak when the experienced individuals are engaging in a discussion, and half of the time the jargon they use confuses us, I wonder what he thinks of me, and if he regrets picking me to be a trainee teacher doubts starting to settle in quite early on, not a good sign?

Just letting my thoughts out here - seems like you guys are having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I remember you, doing computing too right? We had to do an essay to do on 'computational thinking'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    I've been following this thread for a while - am I the only one who feels extremely intimidated by the level knowledge and expertise the people on my course have?

I was reading emails sent by some of them and it feels like it's come directly out of a research paper or something and this is INFORMAL.

I feel like my course leader probably has a strong preference towards them too because the 'younger' ones in the group are more quiet and reserved we dare not speak when the experienced individuals are engaging in a discussion, and half of the time the jargon they use confuses us, I wonder what he thinks of me, and if he regrets picking me to be a trainee teacher doubts starting to settle in quite early on, not a good sign?

PGCEs have many different types of people, all with different experiences and qualifications. Just remember, they wouldn't have chosen you if they didn't think you would make a great teacher, so don't doubt yourself!

I would also say, if you think of something interesting to say then say it, even if you think it seems simple, you will probably be pleasantly surprised by the response and may help encourage others feeling the same as you to speak as well. If someone else in the group is purposely not letting you get a word in edgeways then you can bet others are feeling annoyed/fed up with them too. And some people just like to say lots and try to sound smart as they are nervous and worried and want to impress their tutors and colleagues, that doesn't mean the tutors make judgements based on it. Just remember that though the language/jargon and ideas expressed by some others intimidate you, they probably feel equally intimidated by something you can do- strengths in subject knowledge, having worked to this point at a young age, or any number of other strengths. Try to get to know these people on a personal level which could help you feel less intimidated and talk about your ideas with someone- friends or a tutor 1-1 if you're too nervous to speak up in a group yet- to help you see that your ideas have merit and build confidence. And don't worry about the language you're using because it doesn't matter, the ideas are still good!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Ah I remember you, doing computing too right? We had to do an essay to do on 'computational thinking'.
    Yep that's the one! First day in school Monday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    PGCEs have many different types of people, all with different experiences and qualifications. Just remember, they wouldn't have chosen you if they didn't think you would make a great teacher, so don't doubt yourself!

I would also say, if you think of something interesting to say then say it, even if you think it seems simple, you will probably be pleasantly surprised by the response and may help encourage others feeling the same as you to speak as well. If someone else in the group is purposely not letting you get a word in edgeways then you can bet others are feeling annoyed/fed up with them too. And some people just like to say lots and try to sound smart as they are nervous and worried and want to impress their tutors and colleagues, that doesn't mean the tutors make judgements based on it. Just remember that though the language/jargon and ideas expressed by some others intimidate you, they probably feel equally intimidated by something you can do- strengths in subject knowledge, having worked to this point at a young age, or any number of other strengths. Try to get to know these people on a personal level which could help you feel less intimidated and talk about your ideas with someone- friends or a tutor 1-1 if you're too nervous to speak up in a group yet- to help you see that your ideas have merit and build confidence. And don't worry about the language you're using because it doesn't matter, the ideas are still good!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awww I could hug you, so much practical advise and words of wisdom!! Thank you so much, I'll print this and stick it on my board as a reminder every time I start doubting myself! xxx

Yep that's the one! First day in school Monday!
    Ooo - let me know how it goes, we have ours in 2 weeks, soo nervous already!! x

ReputationRep:
    Will do, kind of nervous mixed with excitement at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)

Just a thought to bear in mind: A lot of people can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I can't tell my assessment objective from my pupil premium, but I've been doing the job somehow, despite this massive handicap, for 32 years. A lot of jargon can be a smoke screen and people hide behind it. It really doesn't make anyone a better teacher and it quite often makes them a worse one, because they get so hung up on the terminology that they forget that they are there to teach actual people in a classroom, not blind those same young people with science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)

I feel this way sometimes too, though it is worth mentioning that it is all well and good knowing the theory but the theory will only assist you in the classroom, it isn't gonna impress a bunch of 8 year olds trying to learn maths! They wouldn't have chosen you if they didn't think you could bring something to the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)

I felt quite similar yesterday. We had a level 7 workshop about our first essay assignment and everyone seemed to have such 'clever' ideas about what they wanted to focus on. I felt overwhelmed and did begin doubting myself. But, I reminded myself that I wouldn't be on this course if they couldn't see something in me. I've gone on today to have a really positive induction at my first placement school. I start my orientation on Monday and couldn't be more excited!

ReputationRep:
    You all seem much further ahead than me. I've just started my first week of lectures. Placement seems so far off. I'm excited to see how you all get on though.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting to see how differently unis structure their courses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)

Don't even worry about it. I felt exactly like this on my course - and some of those who I felt intimidated by dropped out/didn't get a job.

I felt like I was rubbish because I'd only had 2 weeks experience and the others had been a TA or cover supervisor or something. It hasn't hindered me at all.

And I was always terrible at writing essays so felt rubbish compared to those who had done a Masters. But in the end, you pass/fail your PGCE and it doesn't matter what you get in your assignments tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just finished planning my first lesson on map symbols. Scary times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    Just finished planning my first lesson on map symbols. Scary times!
    Exciting and scary all in one! When will you be teaching it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I felt quite similar yesterday. We had a level 7 workshop about our first essay assignment and everyone seemed to have such 'clever' ideas about what they wanted to focus on. I felt overwhelmed and did begin doubting myself. But, I reminded myself that I wouldn't be on this course if they couldn't see something in me. I've gone on today to have a really positive induction at my first placement school. I start my orientation on Monday and couldn't be more excited!
    If there was a post that summed up exactly how I feel now, it would be this one. You're not alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    If there was a post that summed up exactly how I feel now, it would be this one. You're not alone
    Good to know it's not just me!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.