Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Yet another birthday spent revising for exams. Life as the eternal student has it's draw backs. Ah well, I know how to live, half a pot of half price Ben and Jerry's (Tesco's). Happy birthday to me
    happy birthday

I have similar experiences to you, my birthday is at the start of Sept so usually the start of term is on that day or close by and everyone forgets my birthday not half as bad as having an exam on the day though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Bleurgh. Last exam on Monday. I dislike the way Keele do OSSEs in preclinical years. Twenty, five minute stations ranging from examinations to measuring prothrombin time. There should be ten stations of eight or so minutes each and they should all be clinical. Some of this stuff people are memorising purely to pass this exam, stuff that they'll never even think about again for the rest of time. It's learning for learning sake... pointless.
    I know the feeling for my OSCES I learnt so much useless stuff! Although I've never heard of the prothrombin time station??

It sounds like a pretty intensive OSCE for pre-clinical years, feel bad for you pal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    happy birthday

I have similar experiences to you, my birthday is at the start of Sept so usually the start of term is on that day or close by and everyone forgets my birthday not half as bad as having an exam on the day though!
    First day of freshers week. My three cards were from my parents, sister and Grandma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    First day of freshers week. My three cards were from my parents, sister and Grandma.
    awkward....

Happy Birthday??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    awkward....

Happy Birthday??
    Bit late now. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Bit late now. :ahee:
    I meant for the coming birthday

Ugh I can't believe I'm on this forum at 1am on a Saturday night boyfriend is away with the army too and I can't sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)

Ugh I can't believe I'm on this forum at 1am on a Saturday night boyfriend is away with the army too and I can't sleep.
    I find that switching off the computer helps.

ReputationRep:
    I find that switching off the computer helps.

Sleeping in an empty flat is creepy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Sleeping in an empty flat is creepy
    D'aawwwwe. :awesome: You could always leave the pic in your sig on screen as protection.

ReputationRep:
    happy birthday! sounds like a great bday tbh... I hope you're eating cherry garcia Ilovechocolate ah well it's only a day, how are you going to celebrate it after the exams? who knows, you could like one of my good friends, have been celebrating your bday on the wrong date for many years! :P

ps

has anyone done pastest EMQ vol 3? trying to prepare for year 3 EMQ on monday, and finding these questions quite difficult - is this the level expected of 3rd years or finalists?

ReputationRep:
    D'aawwwwe. :awesome: You could always leave the pic in your sig on screen as protection.
    Thats even creepier, jeez I need to update this thing, I haven't been on in months and all these new young upstarts have moved in all wit' there 'tudes!

The forum isn't the same as it was *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    happy birthday! sounds like a great bday tbh... I hope you're eating cherry garcia Ilovechocolate ah well it's only a day, how are you going to celebrate it after the exams? who knows, you could like one of my good friends, have been celebrating your bday on the wrong date for many years! :P

ps

has anyone done pastest EMQ vol 3? trying to prepare for year 3 EMQ on monday, and finding these questions quite difficult - is this the level expected of 3rd years or finalists?
    I'm drunk and your sig is not helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)

ps

Post a question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Thats even creepier, jeez I need to update this thing, I haven't been on in months and all these new young upstarts have moved in all wit' there 'tudes!

The forum isn't the same as it was *shakes head*
    If you start waving your cane and banging on about the good old days I may well just go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I know the feeling for my OSCES I learnt so much useless stuff! Although I've never heard of the prothrombin time station??

It sounds like a pretty intensive OSCE for pre-clinical years, feel bad for you pal!
    We have lab/clinical sessions throughout the year, from which they'll derive OSSE (switch the C for clinical to an S for 'skills') stations. Some of these sessions will contain useful things and some will be largely irrelevant.

I can get on board with some of the stuff we have to do in labs, such as measuring blood flow in the forearm (with a method that isn't exactly foolproof) and testing antibiotic sensitivity, but they shouldn't test us on the procedural aspects of it in a five minute OSSE station; they should test us on the principles in the written exams.

Testing us for testing sake. Memorising procedures such as those is mind-numbingly tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)

Thank you Snap. In Germany at the REME ski lodge being a climbing instructor for an AT trip. Yours?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Snap. In Germany at the REME ski lodge being a climbing instructor for an AT trip. Yours?
    Mine goes away almost every other weekend training with his regiment, he's not far away so it's not that bad. Although the time of his main training this year and both our electives means we won't see each other from June 16th to the 1st Sept

Ahhh gotta love being an army girlfriend, get to put up with dirty kit all over the flat and rowdy soldiers every so often lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    We have lab/clinical sessions throughout the year, from which they'll derive OSSE (switch the C for clinical to an S for 'skills') stations. Some of these sessions will contain useful things and some will be largely irrelevant.

I can get on board with some of the stuff we have to do in labs, such as measuring blood flow in the forearm (with a method that isn't exactly foolproof) and testing antibiotic sensitivity, but they shouldn't test us on the procedural aspects of it in a five minute OSSE station; they should test us on the principles in the written exams.

Testing us for testing sake. Memorising procedures such as those is mind-numbingly tedious.
    Sounds like it's in a different league to what we are tested on in Glasgow but let's not get into that.

Most of the stuff we memorize is useless in real medicine sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Mine goes away almost every other weekend training with his regiment, he's not far away so it's not that bad. Although the time of his main training this year and both our electives means we won't see each other from June 16th to the 1st Sept

Ahhh gotta love being an army girlfriend, get to put up with dirty kit all over the flat and rowdy soldiers every so often lol
    Indeed. Still can't get used to being saluted and ma'am'd on base. It's very weird. And mess dinners that last three hours. Hunting in vain for a dress that covers ankles and shoulder without making me look 50. Trying to decode all his acronyms. Being an army girlfriend is definitely something else.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Still can't get used to being saluted and ma'am'd on base. It's very weird. And mess dinners that last three hours. Hunting in vain for a dress that covers ankles and shoulder without making me look 50. Trying to decode all his acronyms. Being an army girlfriend is definitely something else.
    haha I thought I was the only one struggling with all the nicknames and acronyms! Luckily I don't get to go on base yet cos my bf is only in the TA parachute regiment until he graduates then moving into full time army so I've got a little more time to get used to it!

I can't get over the feeling that they're all talking about their women on these weekends away...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.